Electric Fan Add? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
I've seen a number of folks happy with the result. In talking to a fan mfr, though, I'm being told that "for the radiator, you would either want a belt fan OR an electric fan, but not both. Running a fan on the front pushing air will cause an airflow lockup by flowing at two different rates and if anything it would raise temps."

I'm mostly looking for added cooling capacity in stop-and-go traffic and after parking (it reached 120 degrees here last summer), and when crawling offroad. No way I'm ditching the clutch fan, which means no room for a puller fan.

Thought I'd consult the brain trust on this. What say you?

Thanks for any help!

Have you confirmed the temps are actually a problem? I have a diesel, so totally different beast to yours, but the engine wants to be warm, not cold. As long as your cooling system is keeping it in the happy zone it wants to run at, why mess with it? If the temps are a problem, have you changed the viscous hub on your fan? Made all the difference to mine. If you've done that and you're still not happy for some reason, you can always change the oil viscosity mix/volume in the hub to increase the rate at which the fan spins at lower temps. Just be aware that by doing so, you're stealing power from the engine and increasing wear on your water pump bearing.

I'd question again how you've determined temps are a problem though. Personally, I run one of these with the sensor on the thermostat housing:
This "Engine Guardian 3" gives me live accurate temps at the head, with an alert for overtemp. Well worth fitting no matter what. If you have something like this fitted, then you have accurate data to know if your temps are really a problem.

Thanks for the gadget tip, will check it out! I'm actually looking to see how accurate the guy's info is here--and to find out why, if it is correct, fans are helping others here.

I'm running Wits' End blue hub, getting ready to replace radiator. Temps are too high for my tastes, maybe 215 on a highway climb (southbound 405 by Getty) with ambient in the 70s. Running upper 190s on level ground stop-and-go. If fan cools too much, I can just shut it off. Wouldn't be on all the time anyway... :)

I know I’ll get hate for this, but:
My mechanical fan is gone. Dual electric fans(pullers). No issues w/ SC belt install/removal now. Temp stays about 187-190° regardless of what I’m doing and it actually runs coolest w/ AC on in town. It’s programmable and my hood is vented . . .anyway, here’s what I see looking under the hood. All of the heat is on the intake/filter side of the engine. That’s where the factory shroud/fan is wanting and trying to push the hot air out. The air on the DS stagnates. Can’t be much flow there. The PS tire has to be building pressure as it’s turning in the wheelwell at speed, which can’t be helping the heat escape the PS where it’s all concentrated. . .I feel like it’s a poor design over all. But what do I know. 🤷‍♂️
Anyhow, mine isn’t stock. I’m happy with it. Exhaust is all routed inside the frame and I get airflow through both hood vents that expels heat. Plus my tranny cooler is gone now as well(and it was super crusty/just crappy and HAD to be blocking air flow). All I have out front is the AC condenser, an IC heat exchanger and that’s it. It’s working well for me. Oh, and the fan doesn’t run while on the highway . . . I’m obviously getting sufficient flow at speed.

A small pusher fan was standard equipment on 100’s from 98-03 and plenty of owners have added one for times when you want AC but airflow is slow. You should not need an auxiliary fan to help cool the engine.

It's not too hot here yet in NC, so I'm not running the AC. Six months ago I changed my thermostat to a gates 170°. Normal driving temps are 185°-190° (before and after SC).

About a month ago I add a SC and people talked about overheating. Though I don't think I'll have these problems, I added the @Outsane hood risers for the engine temps and @LandCruiserPhil aux fan for cooler A/C during stop/go traffic, etc. . So for every mod I've done from @LandCruiserPhil has worked just as he explains (he also has a write-up on the aux fan).

Can't give you hard data with the fan yet. Hope this little bit helped though.

A small pusher fan was standard equipment on 100’s from 98-03 and plenty of owners have added one for times when you want AC but airflow is slow. You should not need an auxiliary fan to help cool the engine.
Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom