New to the platform...thanks for the add... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New guy here. New to Toyotas. New to the 80 series. Might not be the best (or maybe it is) first Toyota to jump into....but I'm looking at a 1990 HDJ81. Assuming it's in overall good condition with no majors issues, what should I expect to pay? The one in particular I'm interested in locally has the following:

Timing belt replaced.
Injectors rebuilt.
Injector pump refreshed and flow matched.
ARB bumper.
OEM winch.
Dual batteries.
GTurbo Grunter turbo.
3" turbo back exhaust.
Front mount intercooler.
Dobinson lift.

Thoughts?

New guy here. New to Toyotas. New to the 80 series. Might not be the best (or maybe it is) first Toyota to jump into....but I'm looking at a 1990 HDJ81. Assuming it's in overall good condition with no majors issues, what should I expect to pay? The one in particular I'm interested in locally has the following:

Timing belt replaced.
Injectors rebuilt.
Injector pump refreshed and flow matched.
ARB bumper.
OEM winch.
Dual batteries.
GTurbo Grunter turbo.
3" turbo back exhaust.
Front mount intercooler.
Dobinson lift.

Thoughts?
That sounds like a pretty solid build. Market's a little slow right now. If you were tracking through covid, prices went nuts from 2020-2022 and the market's been slowly cooling since then.

Since it's an early model and RHD I'd guess $20-30K, probably on the higher end if you value the mods, which look exactly like what most of us would do to modify an HDJ81. I've seen some early HDJ81s dip below $20K. If it was a later model and/or LHD that could be $30-50K.

Make sure to check for rust, that's the big land cruiser killer.

For price comparisons, check the classifieds:

$15-30K:

- this one is a great deal

$30K +

Oh and welcome by the way. Don't know how mechanically inclined you are but an 80 Series is a great place to learn about fixing cars, or at least Toyotas.

Almost everything can be done at home if you have some tools and the factory service manual. Parts are actually not that hard to find thanks to Cruiser Outfitters, Partsouq and Amayama. There are tons of tutorials online from both the US and Australia. Tons of aftermarket parts in Australia. And the JDM cruiser shares a lot of parts with US cruisers in terms of axles, brakes, body, windows etc. which is nice if you need to visit a junkyard for parts.

Factory Service Manuals can be found here in the resource section:

More discussion specifically about diesels can be found here:

Oh and welcome by the way. Don't know how mechanically inclined you are but an 80 Series is a great place to learn about fixing cars, or at least Toyotas.

Almost everything can be done at home if you have some tools and the factory service manual. Parts are actually not that hard to find thanks to Cruiser Outfitters, Partsouq and Amayama. There are tons of tutorials online from both the US and Australia. Tons of aftermarket parts in Australia. And the JDM cruiser shares a lot of parts with US cruisers in terms of axles, brakes, body, windows etc. which is nice if you need to visit a junkyard for parts.

Factory Service Manuals can be found here in the resource section:

More discussion specifically about diesels can be found here:
Thanks. I am mechanically inclined but not a motorhead so I do need instructions most of the time when working on my vehicles. But I do try to do as much work myself as I can. That was another concern, availability of parts in the US since this particular truck is an import non-US model.

I appreciate the welcome and I'll look a bit more into things and see if this is a project I want to take on.

... That was another concern, availability of parts in the US since this particular truck is an import non-US model.

I appreciate the welcome and I'll look a bit more into things and see if this is a project I want to take on.
As mentioned, partsouq.com is a great resource. Put you VIN in and it will spit out the factory parts diagrams specific to your truck. Click through the various diagrams to call up the parts that might be of concern. They'll either list them as available (the inventory is real time and accurate) or it won't. In such cases Google the part number and you'll be able to determine if another source has them. If not, then there's the junkyard.

How many miles and how much rust?
Be sure to test drive. If the lift isn’t done correctly you can have steering and driveline issues.

How many miles and how much rust?
Be sure to test drive. If the lift isn’t done correctly you can have steering and driveline issues.
179k miles and supposedly no rust. Don't see any in the pics. Seller is 2 hours away so I need to make arrangements to check it out in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom