Early 2 barrel big window F carburetor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1962 SD40 1-bbl

Thread dredge!

Just finished a 1962 FJ25 carb. Thought you all might want to see pics of an unmolested example. Had to combine 2.3 parts carbs to get one perfect 40 year old virgin.

Perfect glass, plate & frame:
DSCF1806.jpg

Note the perfectly straight choke cable bracket and throttle arm. These are always all bent up for some reason.
DSCF1811.jpg

What's wrong here?
DSCF1808.jpg

Hard to believe, but it is really from 1959, 1962 and 1965. Mostly 1962 Feb 4th.
DSCF1810.jpg

That is all. We now return to your regularly scheduled 'mudding.
:cheers:

Hi Jim
why is the screw side ways coming out of top part of carb where the plunger is? Jim everything looks great.

You spotted the mystery hole. I have no idea why it's there. My best guess is some PO was working with the carb, trying to get the stroke of the AP and needle correct, so used a nail to make an observation hole?

There was a hole punched through there (not drilled. punched w/ a sharp tool.) But the rest of the air horn was in such good shape cosmetically that I decided to use the casting. The punched hole was about the right diameter to thread for an M5 screw, so that's what was done. Tapped the hole, and a shortened Aisan carb M5 screw was threaded into the mystery hole & sealed w/loctite. So it's an OEM screw in a non-OE hole.

Jim I notice some of the carbs have a blue plate in the sight glass and some almost grey is there a reason for that ? Thanks and it truly is a work of art

The plates change color, along with the throttle body. Though it is not very visible in the pics, the early T-body has a blue-ish tint to it still from the thin layer of factory paint that was applied to the cast iron.

The plates change color, along with the throttle body. Though it is not very visible in the pics, the early T-body has a blue-ish tint to it still from the thin layer of factory paint that was applied to the cast iron.

Jim, it appers the main body was cadmium plated.... have you seen many other early 1bbl like this. I have 6 of them laying around and none seem to have any traces of such plating on them:confused: The reason I ask is I am doing a resto. of a 1964 FJ45LV and am getting ready to restore the carb.

thanks
JP

Jim, it appers the main body was cadmium plated.... have you seen many other early 1bbl like this. I have 6 of them laying around and none seem to have any traces of such plating on them:confused: The reason I ask is I am doing a resto. of a 1964 FJ45LV and am getting ready to restore the carb.

thanks
JP

I was just going to ask the same question. lol

thanks
JP
Early 1-bbls were plated. The ones that have the rocker-arm needle mechanism.

I'll try to post a pic of the early rocker mechanism vs later direct lift mechanism.

Been sitting on these with the intention of finding a 25 or 45lv to bolt up to... I've come to realize this isn't in the cards and will be focusing on my BJ42 project. Wanted to give 1st dibs to this section of mud before posting elsewhere.

2-Barrel carb, Intake/Exhaust Manifold, and Oil Bath Air Cleaner Assembly...

If it isn't spoken for I am very interested!

You spotted the mystery hole. I have no idea why it's there. My best guess is some PO was working with the carb, trying to get the stroke of the AP and needle correct, so used a nail to make an observation hole?

There was a hole punched through there (not drilled. punched w/ a sharp tool.) But the rest of the air horn was in such good shape cosmetically that I decided to use the casting. The punched hole was about the right diameter to thread for an M5 screw, so that's what was done. Tapped the hole, and a shortened Aisan carb M5 screw was threaded into the mystery hole & sealed w/loctite. So it's an OEM screw in a non-OE hole.

I just saw this and it is interesting. I just had the same carb rebuilt by a professional shop and they told me that hole was normal. I forgot , but it was for air coming in for some reason. Looking closely at it, I believe it was done at a factory tooling vs. a punch from some owner. Anyway, They tested mine and it ran perfectly, even with the hole.

someone needs to repro the plates...i need two ;)

I just saw this and it is interesting. I just had the same carb rebuilt by a professional shop and they told me that hole was normal. I forgot , but it was for air coming in for some reason. Looking closely at it, I believe it was done at a factory tooling vs. a punch from some owner. Anyway, They tested mine and it ran perfectly, even with the hole.
No, it is not a normal hole. Note the lack of holepunches in Wes's carbs above. I've rebuilt a few (subtle understatement) of these carbs over the last 25 years, and never seen a hole punched in the top.

It is interesting that you've seen this same hole. Wondering if some rebuild shop somewhere thought it was needed, so punched a hole in every 1-bbl they did?

A bit more thought, I do not believe it was a bunch of PO's doing a hole so there must have been a "professional" decision to put a hole there. I am still wondering if was air flow issue ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom