Builds DRANGED's GX470 build/ownership thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1/4" airbag spacer rear
PXL_20210527_223710887.jpg
PXL_20210527_223716134.jpg

And 0.75" strut top front
PXL_20210527_223732887.jpg
PXL_20210527_223735881.jpg

Last edited:
(still retains airbag hi)
This'll probably facilitate more rapid airbag failure to my anomalously reliable bags. 🤣🤣🤙

Lo
PXL_20210527_224828833.jpg

Normal
PXL_20210527_224758868.jpg

Hi
PXL_20210527_224700133.jpg

Last edited:
A few :

Why not preemptively replace the bags before failure? I plan to put Arnott ones in this year.

Have you seen Scott Brady’s video on his GX? He talks about doing a rear spring spacer and then the “trick” to fine tune. But I have no clue what the air spring spacer is.

He also asks about the Timbren bump stops in case of air bag failure. I really like his set up and will eventually do the same thing.

A few :

Why not preemptively replace the bags before failure? I plan to put Arnott ones in this year.

Have you seen Scott Brady’s video on his GX? He talks about doing a rear spring spacer and then the “trick” to fine tune. But I have no clue what the air spring spacer is.

He also asks about the Timbren bump stops in case of air bag failure. I really like his set up and will eventually do the same thing.

Yeah, that's an interesting build. I think I ran across that video last week or two weeks ago from another post. The BP 51s are pretty high dollar setup to curiously stay with airbags. But he's not wrong with respect to flexibility of airbag suspension in the rear which is why I'm having a hard time getting away from it. Auto levelling is huge especially when you run as a daily driver but also do 1,000 lb loads for multi-day trips WHILE retaining ability to lift another 1.6" when wheeling.
The airbag spacer setup just seems like a relocate on top of the suspension not too unlike the spacer lift on top of a strut. It's interesting to maintain the airbag functionality with a 2 inch lift, thus the ome shocks in back too....
*EDIT* timbrens: yeah, those are cool! A buddy in town got them for his xterra, and lives them. Might be good insurance Rae: airbag failure.... 🤔👌
I do have two pairs of other people's take off airbags as spares when mine fail So I think this Band-Aid will kick my can down the road months or years longer....

I do seem to chew up kdss bushings however. Minor toast and need to be changed again and I think would be the second pair that I've installed in read in my four years of ownership. 🤷

I dunno... I guess I use all the articulations. 😂

Last edited:
Yeah, that's an interesting build. I think I ran across that video last week or two weeks ago from another post. The BP 51s are pretty high dollar setup to curiously stay with airbags. But he's not wrong with respect to flexibility of airbag suspension in the rear which is why I'm having a hard time getting away from it. Auto levelling is huge especially when you run as a daily driver but also do 1,000 lb loads for multi-day trips WHILE retaining ability to lift another 1.6" when wheeling.
The airbag spacer setup just seems like a relocate on top of the suspension not too unlike the spacer lift on top of a strut. It's interesting to maintain the airbag functionality with a 2 inch lift, thus the ome shocks in back too....
*EDIT* timbrens: yeah, those are cool! A buddy in town got them for his xterra, and lives them. Might be good insurance Rae: airbag failure.... 🤔👌
I do have two pairs of other people's take off airbags as spares when mine fail So I think this Band-Aid will kick my can down the road months or years longer....

I do seem to chew up kdss bushings however. Minor toast and need to be changed again and I think would be the second pair that I've installed in read in my four years of ownership. 🤷

I dunno... I guess I use all the articulations. 😂

My GX likewise goes from virtually empty maybe hauling my kid to the bike track with his 14" balance bike to fully loaded with 2 adults, 2 kids, a dog, a fridge, recovery gear, and hauling my small camp trailer. I LOVE the air suspension and figuring out the best way to lift without losing capability, comfort or auto-height control is what I'm after. But in reality, I don't NEED a lift as it goes everywhere I want to go. But at some point my bushings, control arms, and shocks are going to be shot anyway. I'm planning to swap for Arnott springs this summer and have the KDSS bushings replaced.

I still have Trailpower solar panel, SAIS bypass, Mountain Passes Off Road transmission cooler upgrade, SSO Incognito and winch all sitting in my garage to install this year. Maybe next year I'll lift it.

My GX likewise goes from virtually empty maybe hauling my kid to the bike track with his 14" balance bike to fully loaded with 2 adults, 2 kids, a dog, a fridge, recovery gear, and hauling my small camp trailer. I LOVE the air suspension and figuring out the best way to lift without losing capability, comfort or auto-height control is what I'm after. But in reality, I don't NEED a lift as it goes everywhere I want to go. But at some point my bushings, control arms, and shocks are going to be shot anyway. I'm planning to swap for Arnott springs this summer and have the KDSS bushings replaced.

I still have Trailpower solar panel, SAIS bypass, Mountain Passes Off Road transmission cooler upgrade, SSO Incognito and winch all sitting in my garage to install this year. Maybe next year I'll lift it.
I liked my air suspension. It was very handy. I started piecing my suspension kit together a while back and just told myself once I have all the pieces I'd install it. doing it slow and finding deals I was able to do it much cheaper than anyone else I know. I miss the springs sometimes...sometimes.
I replaced front ball joints and bushings on the LCA, JBA Upper control arms, Eibach front springs and shocks and Fox rear shocks with OME springs. My rear spring conversion kit was DIY hockey puck. Total costs....??? maybe $500. Rear, remote resi, fox shocks were given to me and had to be rebuilt, add $300..?

2 weeks ago rocket run, land boating trip to escape the smoke to cooler mountain temps.
The La Sals caught ablaze from an errant campfire (in 100 degree temps) which scorched MUCH of the accessible and favorite placess (i.e. gold basin and much of upper brumley creek)
1625073183734.png
1625073210151.png
1625073228343.png

11,003 ft high mark
1625073321634.png

things got WAY worse overnight into sunday
1625073371542.png

BUT since then the fire's been much more contained and smoke isn't settling into the valley overnight, nor billowing upwind to our friends in W CO...

Tire rotation,
IMG_20210726_132956_01.jpg

rear diff and x-fer case oil changes.
-gluhg glug-
PXL_20210726_203800182.jpg
PXL_20210726_203802447.jpg

Front diff drain plug wouldn't break free... ugh.
PXL_20210726_213256557.jpg

214171 miles (jumped the gun inu 215 interval b/c doing a road trip this weekend.

Tires have 24,755 miles on them, 8/32 remaining on average.
🤙

Last edited:
Bora wheel spacers
impulse: Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings for your car! | Motorsport Tech - https://www.motorsport-tech.com/bora.html
1631850395761.png

Below is some Info from their order confirmation email.... I nearly pulled the trigger on some amazon/eBay 'hub centric" 1" spacers.. @ 4 for just over a hundred bucks.
I'm glad (even before install), I went the BORA route (and for those like me who don't didn't know: BORA = Bulletproof Off Road Adapters).

(While a steep lesson to learn, owning a Lexus (and finally having a good, career job) has REALLY helped me understand quality over price, when compared to the MAAAAAAAANY learning years of auto zone and Pep Boys vs. Napa and Car quest. . . )

Your parts are backed by a Lifetime Warranty, and we build each order specifically for you and your vehicle. Your invoice number is engraved on each part, and we keep very accurate details of every order. So, if you break or cross thread a stud 1 year, 5 years, 10 years from now, we know exactly how to fix or replace it, FREE OF CHARGE!​

95% of companies that sell Adapters/Spacers mass import cheap, pre-made China products and have them sitting on a shelf ready to ship. We do not do that. We want all of our customers to be 100% safe for the entire life of the product, and this requires that we take the time to build parts in a very careful and precise manner - including identifying each part - with quality control and safety of utmost importance.​

Once an order is built, engraved, anodized, studded, properly wrapped and boxed, our shipping dept will email you a tracking number. We typically ship with FedEx or USPS.​

Moar to follow when they arrive and get installed. . . . 😎

**UPDATE 9/24**

Estimated delivery date:
Monday, September 27, 2021 by end of day

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom