Does anyone ever replace the o2/oxygen sensor as a maintainance item (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.grenadaseafaris.com
just checking, I still have the occasional running problem with my cruiser, have had the truck for 50,000, what's the dealers recommended interval to change the o2 sensor, mine looks old and crusty, I was reading online that many car makers have it as a maintanance item and replace them every 50, 60, or 90k, I didn't know that this was the case. Mine has got the two inline cats on my 95 1fz

I cant imagine anyone replacing them as PM. I would never replace an o2 sensor unless it was bad

I cant imagine anyone replacing them as PM. I would never replace an o2 sensor unless it was bad

Haven't been here long? I thought it was the Mud mantra to replace good parts to have a piece of mind?:hillbilly:

As o2 sensors age they become slow, lazy, that said, the 1FZ sensors last a longtime, rarely replace them.

Haven't been here long? I thought it was the Mud mantra to replace good parts to have a piece of mind?:hillbilly:

As o2 sensors age they become slow, lazy, that said, the 1FZ sensors last a longtime, rarely replace them.
Almost took the words out of my mouth. Or keyboard.

:lol:

In true Mud fashion I replaced my O2 sensors with 200k miles with new denso units. I feel like they helped engine run a bit smoother with a bit more power and very slight MPG gain. Others have also claimed similar results with cleaning the sensors.

Mine 95 was not throwing a code but my smog ready scan was showing incomplete cat analysis. After a month of trying to the driving reset sequence with no luck I replaced the sensors. Smog ready scan is now good to go. Old sensors were filthy. Truck seems to run smother.

You can clean the old sensors. Heat them up and a distiled water bath. There is a thread on this.

I replaced mine at 200k. But I replaced the cats and exhaust at the same time. I also replaced the rear heater hoses while I was under there.

Never have replaced as preventative maintenance. My truck likes to eat them regardless every 5 years or so! I've got a new set waiting at home when the next iteration comes along.

At 214k I was getting a consistent o2 sensor code for the upstream sensor. I bought the Amazon 35.00 denso sensor, was a bugger to get the nuts loose but a little time/patience/penetrating oil and they came right off no damage. The 35.00 sensor went right back on, used a better nut that came from my running board mounts and no more codes.... I think the sensor I replaced was the original. FYI. Done in July 2016.

Replaced my front O2 sensor that had ~200,000+ miles on it (could have been the original which would put it at 330,000 miles) due to the waveform being sluggish and not uniform, it was throwing a code now and then. Tried cleaning the sensor first using a foaming cleaner designed for black powder rifles but that killed it (a failed experiment) so installed the new Denso O2 sensor I had waiting on the shelf. The waveform of the new sensor is much more uniform but can't say I noticed any change in gas mileage or how the engine performs.

Not sure what the FSM says but most other vehicle manufactures that I have worked on recomend replacing them somewhere between 75-100K intervals. Unless you get water in the connector or physically damage them you usually won't notice an O2 sensor going bad but once you replace them you will usually notice the engine runs better and you are getting better mileage. I wasn't getting any codes for my O2 sensors but my 80 failed smog the first try. After I replaced the sensors there was a large difference in the smog numbers and I gained about 20-30 more miles per tank. With as PM crazy as people are on here I'm surprised to see people not doing them more often.

I changed mine just cause. No difference in MPG or anything that I could tell. The sensors were Toyota/Denso with 180k and looked fine to me.

Between 75-105k is recommended by most all manufacturers. I will be replacing mine at 75k intervals on my cruiser and 105k on my Camry. I replaced mine when I got the cruiser which had original sensors which were rusted apart at 245k, they lasted about 10k before they threw codes again. They were DENSO. I have about 35k on the current sensors and have had codes most of the time, I'm thinking it has to do with a botched job from a "reputable" cruiser shop which in their infinite wisdom put a tight curl into the engine wiring harness doing only God knows what for the PO. But they managed to make the harness short enough that the oil sensor plug was too tight and they ripped the plastic housing off of it and for a fix they used a 3" length of wire and 2 butt connectors to lengthen it. Sorry, still makes me super angry to think about. I'm sure I just have bad wiring at this point and I haven't done anything with it yet.

Replaced mine when the new exhaust went on replacing the original at 195k

John

They're on my list... I replaced mine at 175k and were original.

I plan on changing them every 20 years.

Last edited:
Replaced the O2 sensors on my 1991 80 at about 240K because they rusted out, 80 runs very good at this time with 290K on it. For my 2000 UZ100 I replace them when it had 120K just though I should, they did look OK, the longer you put this off the harder it is to remove them!

I just replace two original O2 sensors on my 94 80 with 294,000 miles. It started to run rough/sluggish and had recently begun intermittingly throwing a code. It made a significant difference in idle and performance, and surprisingly an improvement on gas mileage.

LOL - I change mine about every 5 years or so because my truck demands it (CEL)! Just replaced mine at 245K. Probably the 4th or perhaps now 5th set on the truck.

I vote do it as PM. Denso units on Amazon are $100 total for both, last I checked. My truck runs more smoothly now, and the intermittent hiccup in acceleration has been vanquished. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom