Dobinsons 2.5" Lift with MRR Shocks and VT Coils. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed my Dobinsons Springs today. Considerably taller than the worn out stock suspension.

66914037865--2724262A-5727-43D0-9D79-3C5C94C9278E.jpg
IMG-1624.jpg

IMG-1643 (1).jpg

IMG-1645.jpg

It's a 2.5" Lift, but it netted around 4" in it's brand new state. We'll see after I drive it around a bit if it settles some. I'm not impressed at all with the trail gear extended brake lines so I haven't been able to drive the cruiser yet to test out the suspension. I have some longer OEM brake lines on the way so hopefully I'll get her back on the road soon. Still need to sort caster and get it aligned.

Edit: couple folks have asked about the OEM lines. I think i bought mine from a toyota dealer, but Wits End sells a kit here.

Also installed Delta front Sway bar drop kit, Panhard drop kit and bumpstop drops. I think I'll take the dobinsons sway bar drops back off and paint them black, the zinc looks a little goofy.

Before lift:
FD 33"
FP 33 1/2"
RD 34 3/8"
RP 34 1/2"

After Lift:
FD 37"
FP 37 3/8"
RD 39"
RP 39"

IMG-1650.jpg

Last edited:
You will love this kit. It's absolutely awesome.

New coil design looks interesting. Probably less noise than the old ones, but I do miss the super teal.

Did you have to use a compressor or did the axle drop far enough to get those things in there?

The top coils appear to have a lot more space now between them so they don't buzz against each other. Sweet.

You will love this kit. It's absolutely awesome.

New coil design looks interesting. Probably less noise than the old ones, but I do miss the super teal.
Oh you can still get the super teal. I just opted for black because I have a boring personality like that.

Did you have to use a compressor or did the axle drop far enough to get those things in there?

The top coils appear to have a lot more space now between them so they don't buzz against each other. Sweet.
The front I was able to get the new springs in once I disconnected the Panhard. The rears I had to use the compressor tool, which I should have just done on the front. Would have saved time as it made it much easier. When I was doing the front, I was just being prideful and not wanting to borrow tools [again] from my bro, ha ha.

I hope the coils don't compress and make noise being as close as they are. I was concerned about that before order. I was going to do the Icon Slinky didn't sounds like they knew when they would have the parts back in stock. Heard this set-up is deluxe. - we will see.

How are you liking the VT's so far @residualboulders ? Did you end up adding some additional F/R weight, or just running them still fairly stock? Did you have any noticeable driveline issues with the added height? Thanks!

How are you liking the VT's so far @residualboulders ? Did you end up adding some additional F/R weight, or just running them still fairly stock? Did you have any noticeable driveline issues with the added height? Thanks!
I love the ride, I think it’s awesome. I do think I can hear the coils clap sometimes on washboard roads. I have arb front bumper with winch nothing in the rear yet. The driveline vibrates a little. Probably will put On a Tom woods double cardan soon.

I love the ride, I think it’s awesome. I do think I can hear the coils clap sometimes on washboard roads. I have arb front bumper with winch nothing in the rear yet. The driveline vibrates a little. Probably will put On a Tom woods double cardan soon.

Didn't realize the 'coil slap' was such a potential nuisance with the VT offerings...will have to dig around a little bit and see if any others are experiencing anything similar.Looks like even with the ARB + winch up front, you still netted substantially more lift. The rear end actually isn't as 'stick-bug-ish' as you'd expect given the stock weight/no bumpers/drawers. The VT's might be more of the end game coil for me after adding some goodies over the next couple of years...trying to future-proof the build a bit, but hesitant about substantially over-lifting and chasing vibes/other geometry problems. The MRA's ore on the list regardless.

Thanks for the info!

Didn't realize the 'coil slap' was such a potential nuisance with the VT offerings...will have to dig around a little bit and see if any others are experiencing anything similar.Looks like even with the ARB + winch up front, you still netted substantially more lift. The rear end actually isn't as 'stick-bug-ish' as you'd expect given the stock weight/no bumpers/drawers. The VT's might be more of the end game coil for me after adding some goodies over the next couple of years...trying to future-proof the build a bit, but hesitant about substantially over-lifting and chasing vibes/other geometry problems. The MRA's ore on the list regardless.

Thanks for the info!
You bet. Yeah I was surprised, more lift than I expected. Its a bit stink buggy when it's not in my garage on a sloped floor. But once the rear swing out and drawers are installed I suspect that will level out. More lift than I really wanted, but It rides so nice compared to a friends OME I don't care anymore.

You bet. Yeah I was surprised, more lift than I expected. Its a bit stink buggy when it's not in my garage on a sloped floor. But once the rear swing out and drawers are installed I suspect that will level out. More lift than I really wanted, but It rides so nice compared to a friends OME I don't care anymore.
Once you've got the added goodies on the truck, sounds like you're going to be in for one nice ride! 😎

I can't wait to do this on mine. I have everything except the Delta arms that are on pre-order. man I can't wait.

I can't wait to do this on mine. I have everything except the Delta arms that are on pre-order. man I can't wait.
I planned on those radius arms but ended up doing a Ironman drop bracket instead. I don’t plan to rock crawl it so the minor clearance loss wasn’t that big of deal. May do the delta arms in the future though. I am curious the difference in handling over a drop bracket, if any. Feels pretty good to me now.

Installed my Dobinsons Springs today. Considerably taller than the worn out stock suspension.

View attachment 2957173.
View attachment 2957174

View attachment 2957175

View attachment 2957176

It's a 2.5" Lift, but it netted around 4" in it's brand new state. We'll see after I drive it around a bit if it settles some. I'm not impressed at all with the trail gear extended brake lines so I haven't been able to drive the cruiser yet to test out the suspension. I have some longer OEM brake lines on the way so hopefully I'll get her back on the road soon. Still need to sort caster and get it aligned.

Also installed Delta front Sway bar drop kit, Panhard drop kit and bumpstop drops. I think I'll take the dobinsons sway bar drops back off and paint them black, the zinc looks a little goofy.

Before lift:
FD 33"
FP 33 1/2"
RD 34 3/8"
RP 34 1/2"

After Lift:
FD 37"
FP 37 3/8"
RD 39"
RP 39"

View attachment 2957178

What are your measurements from the edge of the fender flare to the center of the hub?

I planned on those radius arms but ended up doing a Ironman drop bracket instead. I don’t plan to rock crawl it so the minor clearance loss wasn’t that big of deal. May do the delta arms in the future though. I am curious the difference in handling over a drop bracket, if any. Feels pretty good to me now.
The drop brackets should be better!!

Last edited:
The drop brackets get your arms closer to the correct specs. It should handle better.
Did your lift settle in or did you add any weight?
We measure from center of hub to bottom of flare. +-20" is generally were stock rigs sit.
IIRC, you need about 400 lbs of extra $hit in or on the cruiser to get 2.5”.
I never have seen a rig go down 1.5" to 2" when just adding another adult & 2 kids in which is near the 400lb range.
So that 400lbs would be more like 800lbs to do that, even then I've put 5 heavy guys in my rig & it didnt go down more than 1.5".

Any pics of the Ironman drop brackets installed @residualboulders ? I looked at those as well - not great from a loss of clearance perspective, but likely effective on the caster correction solution. Have not seen many of these in the wild just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom