DIY OEM soft top bows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got it on!

ForumRunner_20130902_193414.jpg

ForumRunner_20130902_193448.jpg
ForumRunner_20130902_193414.jpg
ForumRunner_20130902_193448.jpg

The top was a tight (to tight) fit, so we cut three inches out of the spreader bars and welded in some 3/4 all thread with two jam nuts. This adjustment allows for easy fitting and stretching of the canvas

ForumRunner_20130902_194401.jpg
ForumRunner_20130902_194401.jpg

Thanks pinhead I've still never seen a set of bars in person but still managed to get this mounted up. Over all I'm about six hundred dollars in parts, steel and canvas. It took awhile to acquire all the hard top pieces and hardware

Congratulations. It looks great.

The thing I learned is that you have to like doing this kind of stuff because you sure won't make any money doing it. I only made the font half and I figure I had about 30 hours in it. This works out to about $15 - 20 an hour. If you didn't have to buy materials, that would be a "living wage".

I wanted to resurect one of the missing @Pin_Head pictures that illustrates the measurements of the middle bow and the spreader side bows.

I was happy when I saw @78fj40mg post this pic in another thread.

Figured it would be helpful to post it here with the other measurements and the diy steps.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446386016.493015.jpg

Which angles? If you lay the rear bow flat on its rear surface, the bottom feet are angled up at 26 degrees.

26 degrees? Really? I guess I'm going to have to measure it. I was thinking it was almost 45 degrees...

I got a partial set of bows from @whitey45 for a good price. The stand-in for the rearmost bow looks to have been from an fj45 canvas top or something. It was 1-3/4" wider and the down tubes were much longer. At the bottom, the tubes were flattened with just one hole drilled. There were also a bunch of not-well-placed snaps riveted and screwed into it. I've got the bends done to match the original and the 1-3/4" extra cut out of the top-center. It's about ready to get welded up. Pics later.

When I'm done I'm going to have a full set of bows that I'll post up for sale, with some parts original, some parts Paki repro that I got from @SouthBostonFJ40 a while back and the rear bow that I'm working on. It will include the windshield channel and a full set of six brackets.

Really great thread pin...thanks for sharing! I have a K-Line top but really love the look of the OEM style top!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. 26 degrees was what I got on the green bow which was from a set from 72. I got that partial set from Danny Warden in his going out of business sale.

A couple pics:

This is the extra wide bow I got with my latest set, compared to the rear bow installed on my 40 with the canvas pulled back.

20160116_151140_bowIsTooBig.jpg

These are the lower pieces I'm working on. Ron Diaz from Custom Cruisers FJ40 in Gilroy bent them for me. The bender couldn't make the two bends so close together so we made them as close as we could and I removed a section in between and welded them back together.

20160120_221134_LowerCurves.jpg

What are the rivets and spot welds for?

I ask because don't recall seeing that in the diy so am curious if this is for a different style top?

I got the bows from Whitey as an incomplete set, missing the rear-most bow. The set came with this one bow that was not correct for a '40, but surely Toyota OEM to something. It was 1-3/4" wider and very tall. Maybe it was for a troopy or the bed of an fj45? It was also riddled with snaps, some riveted, some screwed into holes drilled into the bow.

I took out all the snaps and welded up the holes.

My OEM rear bow came with screw in snaps at the top. I ne'er figured out what they were for.

What I did is lay out marks every 4 inches from the center point and then press them with my shop press a little bit two at a time from the center and then measure how much I bent it. Then I calculated how much I would have to bend all of them to make a smooth bend. This worked out to be about a quarter stroke of my hydraulic ram every 4 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom