Builds DIY FJZ80 Low Budget Turbo Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rick,

He has control of fueling and timing tables with the URD computer he is using. Both Brett and lilevo are using the same thing. They both need more resolution (headroom) on the stock MAF. So they need to be able to flow more air, while reading less voltage. The only way to do that is large housing size. This is exactly what I said your housing would be good for. lol.

So yes Brett, pulling the sleeve and possibly even boring it a little more would be going in the right direction for your build.

Is this happening without the URD unit in play as well?

If it is I think you have a bad MAF sensor. Otherwise the system doesn't like the URD item.
I haven't been getting any codes other than the time I had a vacuum leak.

There might be, but Rick's housing will work well for this. It is exactly what the tuners do in the GT-R community. The stock MAF sensors become saturated around 500awhp, the solution is just swapping from the stock 2.75" dual intakes to dual 3" (MAF housing is part of the intake) and it gives them enough resolution for over 700awhp.

I will modify the MAF after I get my truck back. It was back at the transmission shop this whole week. The truck shifted superbly in manual, but Drive was not working correctly. The reprogram kit was rather extensive and Transgo mentioned a number of issues that may have contributed to the improper shifting in drive. Select Transmissions have been extremely responsive (at this juncture they are bound to get 5 gold stars-my highest rating) and they are working it out. I will give a final review of all the vendors I used when the work is "finished".

I should post this update in the other thread as well...

The stock ECU expect the voltage from the MAF to be between 1.0v and 4.0v roughly for a normally aspirated engine.

Now looking at the MAF trouble shooting guide for a P0100 an open MAF circuit would read 0 gm/sec and a shorted circuit would read 439 gm/sec. 439 gm/sec equates to 56 lbs or air.

So an educated guess would be that a 5.0v output from the MAF sensor equals 56lbs of air. I seriously doubt that you are flowing any where near that but since lilevo is getting a p0100 the ECU thinks he is exceeding that.

And Bretts problem is that he has a GENII, unfortunately.

What about using any 3" GM MAF? They are 0-5v. Other than the IAT sensor, I don't see how it wouldn't work.

They are a popular upgrade with mitsubishi guys because mitsu MAFs are karmann. You buy a GM MAF translator, it translates the hotwire 0-5V GM MAF to Karmann and they are set for way more flow.

I wasn't saying he is running 60lbs/min, but saying his turbo is very capable of over running the stock MAF. If you say it saturates at 23lbs and your MAF will go to 36lbs.

If it is 23lbs that is 4psi on a 3582r in STP conditions.

Let the MAF testing begin!

ForumRunner_20130413_134618.jpg

ForumRunner_20130413_134618.jpg

my plan was to design a housing that specifically augmented the signal for a specific injector flow. It wouldn't however fit in the filter cover.

For your application you could just get a 3" sch 40 coupling, drill and mount a 22204-21010 sensor and run with it. That's pretty much what I did years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom