discount tire "free replacement certificate"--a ripoff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at tires. This lifetime (within 3 years, or 3/32") free replacement certificate looks pretty good ($25 per tire), but is it? The nearest store is 150 miles from home.

You pay like $25 for handling charges and crap, but otherwise yes, its free. I always purchase it and have used it more than once. :cheers:

No different than any other form of insurance. They are betting you won't need a tire and you are betting you will.

I've used it 2x. Once, got a big nail just on the street. The other I sliced the sidewall offroading.
Both MTR's and so it saved me a grip of money.

When I bought some Revo's that they price matched w/Costco, they gave me the certificates for free! Maybe you could "negotiate" for them?

I could have used it when I opened up my sidewall, so it could have been a good thing for me. But dont forget that if you replace a tire when the others are significantly worn, you should be replacing them all. Different tire speeds on an a FT4WD drive are not a good thing.

Ltaer

i used the certificate when i split my tire sidewall against a rock ledge saved me a 135 bucks paid its self off

I've had several replaced with discount....their replacement is the only reason I get my tires there.

It's a very good program for their bank account and marketing department, to make it pay you have to trash a bunch of tires. My 5 x 295 Nitto's where $745.00 the certs where $115.00. Three months later I got a flat close to the sidewall and got a "free" tire, the cert for the new tire was $23, enviro fee $2, mount and balance $7, valve stem $1.95, so with tax $35.90 on the truck. The original certs and the "fee" for the new tire are $150.90 the tires are $149ea so I am even right?

Not so fast, if I had bought them at Costco or Sam's I would be ahead. I just had a set of Krawlers quoted at Sam's so we will use their numbers, Costco's program is very close. If I had bought the 295s at Sam's for the same price tires were $745 and they charge $9ea for mount, balance and road hazard, so $45. for the 5 tires. Their road hazard;

Road Hazard Warranty
Flat repair for the life of the tire at no charge or tire replacement if it cannot be repaired. If the problem can't be fixed, you will receive a brand-new replacement tire at no charge if the tire has less than 25% tread wear. If there is more than 25% wear, we will replace the tire and prorate the difference based on the amount of tread left.

So my flat would have cost me $9 plus tax from Sam's and I would be ahead of the "Discount deal" I am on now by about $100! Even if one was lost at 50% tread it would be $75 + $9 + tax, you would still be ahead.

I have supported the Discount certificate program for years, after talking to a buddy in the tire racket, I won't be buying certs anymore. His quote was "they make almost no money on tires, most of their income is from selling certs". If you don't buy the certs their basic road hazard is close to Costco and Sam's.

All of the tire co's now limit the road hazard to 4 years or less, so if the tires are going on a weekend wheeler and you rip the sidewall out of a 4.5 year old tire even if it has very few miles and looks like new your SOL!

Shop all the road hazards, pick the one that works for you, but don't be fooled by the marketing! :D

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Discount replace the tire non-prorated even below 25%?

I have had Discount swap a couple of my tires... They have been really good to me, including playing with beadlocks, etc :D

Yes I have had many tires replaced at "no charge" at discount with only 10% tread left...partly bald tires. I have had nothing but problems with both costco/sams warrenties, they never want to replace anything. Believe me I always get my money worth plus out of my discount warrenties. Discount is always no questions asked when they replace tires.

Keep in mind, I just called the local discount tire and I was quoted $729 out the door on 4 Nitto Terra Grapplers with certs.... I told him I could get them at a better price and I wanted to support the local businesses but if he couldn't get me out the door with the certs. for under $675 I would do business with an online retailer... He paused, made some clicking sounds (calculator not him) and said, "I can do $671 out the door"..... EVERY BUSINESS is will to deal, even more so with cash, remember, credit cards charge 3% so I won't buy ANYTHING from anyplace without a 3% cash discount....

I've had good luck with Discount, decent service too. Their stores are all networked together, so you can be in a different state and they can pull up your history with just your phone number. That said, I don't get the certificates. I guess I'm rolling the dice.. or deep down I really wanted swampers and a ripped sidewall on a BFG is just the excuse to get me there.

I don't buy extended warrantees on electronics either, but for them I think half the fun is buying a new one in two years, with twice the features, for about what the warranty would have cost.

I guess I should state that I have a good family friend who is a manager for one of the DT's here in Tucson. So, I always get a deal on my tires and certs are free for me. Therefore, Kevin, it is a deal I can't pass on. :D

and aren't these replacement certs valid even if you're not the original purchaser?

sonoranfun said:
...so I won't buy ANYTHING from anyplace without a 3% cash discount....
So, how's that work when you take the missus out for dinner at a restaraunt? :D :)

IF that is the case....couldn't you puncture tires as tread got low and over a short span have 5 brand new tires? That would work out to be way worth it

A guy over on Pirate bought his 5 original 35" MTR's at discount and got 25 free ones before they cut him off and asked him not to shop with them any longer.

I've been doing business with America's Tire (aka Discount Tire) Co. for several years. So far, they've replaced a BFG AT KO on one rig and 2 Goodyear MTRs on my current 80.

When I replaced the most recent MTR, I asked if I could get a 315 rather than a 285. No problem. I paid the $20 (at that time) difference in price for the tire and they had the 315 available 2 days later.

I like the way they conduct business -- as long as they keep doing what they've been doing, I'll keep going there.

Each one is a little different. The only discount tire in Idaho folded after about a year and a half. I guess they weren't ready for all the road hazards. I bought the roadhazard on mine after the fact. I ripped a sidewall the second day I had them. I went in pretty upset about spending another $125 on a tire (15" 33s for the old 60) and the guy told me if I would buy 5 certificates he would give me one new tire. They were $13.99 each so it was a no brainer. I've never had a problem since. I believe it was 10% of the retail price of the tire at that time.

I paid 12.99 a tire at Wal-Mart for lifetime balance and the roadhazard. Considering the normal mount and balance was 8.99 I got this for an addtional $4 a tire. I negotiated with them some on price too. All you have to do is say you found a better deal and they will price match if you can show it to them.

I used to love Costco for buying tires. $7 for mount, balance, and road hazard. I think it is $10 now. But since they won't mount 315s I've found them useless now. When I was running there tires they were good to me. Once they didn't have a tire in stock so they sent me to a tire store to get it fixed. I came back with a receipt and they wrote me a check back. I even bought some tires used and wrecked one. When I bought the replacement there I paid for roadhazard. The guy told me, this is a good deal as you now have roadhazard on 5 tires. They didn't write down serial numbers on the receipt. I miss them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom