discount tire "free replacement certificate"--a ripoff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did the math when I replaced my MTR's. I came out ahead $ w/ the warranty.

I echo Doug's post- I like the way they do business. They are fast, courteous and professional. They are price competitive and don't give you guff on warranty returns.

Plus, they are the only ones that take the time to properly balance my MTR's! They won't let it go unless every tire is zero'd out. Smooth, balanced MTR's make life good :)

Well, if someone buys four new tires, not from Discount, and then buys their spare from Discount with a certificate, how do they know which one you're bringing back for a replacement? Theoretically, you could trash any tire and claim it was the certificated one, right? Even though that would be pretty crappy to do to them, is there a policy on that?

I believe the certificates are for the serial number of the tire you bought. So you should make sure that's the one you trash. However I don't recall how well they check the serials. I've had nothing but good service from Discount Tires.

I don't usually go around bragging about America's Discount Tire, they usually waste my time when it comes to attempting to balance SSR or MTR tires. However when I purchased my first set of (5) MTRs I also purchased the warranty. After about 100 miles, I decided to go the siping route. I heard good things around here and asked them to sipe them. To make a long story short, they f'd up the siping but wouldn't own up to it. So I let it go, added another 10k miles on them and when I returned from CM04, I showed them the inconsistent chunking and persuaded them to use my warranty and replace them. They didn't want a Firestone incident on their hands and happily gave my (5) new ones :)

Been doing business with Discount Tires for years and never have had a problem!!
They have even repaired flat tires at no cost that were not bought from them. The
warranty is unbeatable when tires are on the newer end of life .
just my 2 cents.
Dan

mason said:
Well, if someone buys four new tires, not from Discount, and then buys their spare from Discount with a certificate, how do they know which one you're bringing back for a replacement? Theoretically, you could trash any tire and claim it was the certificated one, right? Even though that would be pretty crappy to do to them, is there a policy on that?

My discount tire certificates had serial numbers. The road hazard I had from Costco and the one I have from Wal Mart does not. However, I'm sure if they questioned it they could check the date on the tires. Obviously if the date was too early or after the receipt you had you'd be hosed.

I did do this once. My tires were purchased at Costco by someone else. RH is not transferable at Costco. ($625 for 4 wheels and BFG MT 35s with 817 miles was too good of a deal to pass up used even without road hazard) I wrecked a tire and bought a new one. With the mount and balance package came the RH. I wrecked another tire and when I came back the tire guy said, "Weren't you just in here a month ago?" and I said yes and he asked for my phone number and ordered me a new tire. When it showed up I had to pay $67.00 due to the prorating and the new RH. I never said that my tires didn't have road hazard on them and they all knew they didn't but they didn't seem to care. They used to take really good care of me. Stupid corporate rules are keeping me from being happy now! 33" max tire size. Arghhhhhhh!

ginericfj80 said:
.... They used to take really good care of me. Stupid corporate rules are keeping me from being happy now! 33" max tire size. Arghhhhhhh!

Which store said this? Discount, Costco and Sam's all said they will mount any tire I want as long as I tell them that the suspension is modified/lifted. When I bought the Nitto 295's Discount didn't want to mount them, the manager said just tell me it's modified and we are good to go, the truck was bone stock. My brother used the same trick to get Nitto 315's mounted on his stock '97. Discount wont mount tires on anything with wheel spacers.

Tools R Us said:
Which store said this? Discount, Costco and Sam's all said they will mount any tire I want as long as I tell them that the suspension is modified/lifted...

In my experience...
Discount/America's doesn't care -- they'll mount whatever you want.

Sam's Club is pretty much the same way. I think this is a carry over from the WalMart mentality of "sure...whatever you want."

Costco used to, but will no longer mount a tire larger than OEM specs. At least, that's the case at the 6 local Costcos in my area.

Costco's new corporate policy will not let them mount anything larger than a 33" tire on the vehicle. If you bring them in loose they will mount them on rims and balance them for you. They will not let you sit in their lot and bring them in one by one. They are concerned about liability. In the past they mounted my 35s just fine, but they wouldn't mount 315s for me. Both on 80s. I asked the guy what they were doing about H2s as they are a stock 35" tire. The salesperson said he wasn't sure because their memo was specific about not larger than a 33" (this includes 285s, 255s, 305s in 16" rims in the category of tires they will mount). He didn't mention sizes for other other size rims. I know I was OK in April 2005 but by June 2005 their policy had changed.

Discount is the only way to go.

To make the long soap box lecture short, .................

I've popped four tires 35" BFGs and replaced them under cert warranty (when I was much younger and poorer) in a two day span.

Had a tire blow out on me in a state without DT stores, bought a replacement tire at a competitor. DT reimbursed up the the price of their tire no problem at all.

Thought a tire had thrown a weight, took it ( audi) in. It turned out that three tires had sidewall impact separation. DT offered to replace all four tires under cert. because they were 3/4 gone and knew that I wouldn't want a mismatched set.

Bought four tires from tire rack , had them mounted at a competitor, took them to DT and they sold me the certs. for the tires I bought elsewhere.

Had a boat that would eat trailer tires (one a month). They warrantied them for years until they finally stopped warrantying all trailer tires.

Sold a truck to a friend that had DT tires. he had a blow out and they replace them for him (certs transferable)

In all cases, all I had to pay was for another cert.. THere was never any prorating. I've had great service at all DTs (AZ, CO, NM,CA)

These are jst some of the good experiences that I have had. I'm a really picky person about customer service, and DT is te only place that I would rave about. THe only down side is that sometimes the wait is a little long. Need less to say DT is the only place I use.

anybody knows if they are real sticklers for that 3 years limit on the certificate? (as in a few months over with a basically unworn tire)

anybody knows if they are real sticklers for that 3 years limit on the certificate? (as in a few months over with a basically unworn tire)

The last one I had a problem with was 4 years old. They didn't care that it looked like new, 4+ years old and they said buy new.

I have used it 3 times on my MTR's. The probably really didnt NEED to be replaced but i figured what the hell.

All 3 times it was a very easy experience and will keep me a lifetime Discount Tire customer!

They also ship out to you without asking for the original so you don't need to be near one of their stores...that's a good deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom