Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins Common Rail + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have some .25" plate, I will try out your spacer idea, it makes sense. I really don't want to pull those mounts out again...lining them up with this beast is a PIA!!!

Today I was able to massage in the passenger tunnel a little more and position the motor to clear the steering box. I wasn't able to clear the fuel filter from the booster, so I pulled it out all together and devised a plan to relocate the filter to the drivers fender. I need to order up a few fittings etc to make it happen.

I also got the transfer case bolted up to the trans and opened up the tunnel with a sawzall. Next step will be to focus on the crossmember.

I also got a dozen baby chickens today, organic eggs for days will be in my future!!!

I wanted to get something done tonight, so I drilled, tapped and installed my pyro.

20160413_214643.jpg

20160413_214658.jpg

What pyro is that?

It is an isspro EV2 1600 degree pryo.

--------------------------------
Order Details
Item : Isspro EV2 Pyrometer Gauge - w/o Color Band, Range (0-1600 F)
SKU : ISPR17022

It is an isspro EV2 1600 degree pryo.

Order Details
Item : Isspro EV2 Pyrometer Gauge - w/o Color Band, Range (0-1600 F)
SKU : ISPR17022

I have an Autometer but I don't like it, the connector is chintzy and one of the pins is broken on it now. How does that even happen? I had some intermittent weirdness and so I pulled the connector, and found that one of the pins was broken and the wire was just wiggling around in it. That and I don't know if I trust it... since I've been fighting high EGTs for a while and nothing I do affects them...

Was thinking either isspro or glowshift but the glowshift are questionable too.

My glowshift already took a dump. It either pegs 2400 or just looks like a windshield wiper. This was an added bonus on my mishap adventure to Moab back in November. I like the way yours has a pigtail at the sensor. Smart.

I have an Autometer but I don't like it, the connector is chintzy and one of the pins is broken on it now. How does that even happen? I had some intermittent weirdness and so I pulled the connector, and found that one of the pins was broken and the wire was just wiggling around in it. That and I don't know if I trust it... since I've been fighting high EGTs for a while and nothing I do affects them...

Was thinking either isspro or glowshift but the glowshift are questionable too.
Don't do glow****! They have a terrible track record for reliability.

My glowshift already took a dump. It either pegs 2400 or just looks like a windshield wiper. This was an added bonus on my mishap adventure to Moab back in November. I like the way yours has a pigtail at the sensor. Smart.
Yep, not surprised there. When it rains it pours right! The pigtail on the isspro's are sturdy and well thought out.

Isspro it is then, if Autometer can't sort me out. Gonna give them a call tomorrow.
I did a lot if research and spoke to a bunch of folks before I decided on the isspro. I also called isspro and they were very helpful. When I went to place the order they told me that since they have to sell at full retail due to deals with their dealers, that I could likely get a better price through one of their dealers. I ended up ordering through thoroughbred diesel in TX for about $15 less than it would have cost direct from isspro...crazy, but shows they have good client service.

Last edited:
Got a care package from @beno today, OEM manual console and boot....and a surprise...OEM Toyota adjustable wrench....I am stoked! The new decals have already made it onto my landcruiser toolbox too.
20160414_221426.jpg

I also got my used 96 fuel filter head, test fit it tonight and now I have TONS of room for activities. I will clean it up and give it some paint this weekend.
20160414_220505.jpg

I have glowshift max tow series boost and EGT, besides not being able to dim it enough at night it's worked great. I am thinking about going to Isspro next....... Had awful luck with Automeeter.

Got a care package from @beno today, OEM manual console and boot....and a surprise...OEM Toyota adjustable wrench....I am stoked! The new decals have already made it onto my landcruiser toolbox too.
View attachment 1241852

I also got my used 96 fuel filter head, test fit it tonight and now I have TONS of room for activities. I will clean it up and give it some paint this weekend.
View attachment 1241853
I had no idea you could get the LHD console and boots! I'm sitting here piecing together my setup from bits of 4runner rubber boots and leather shifter boots.

View attachment 1241852

View attachment 1241853
Not going to paint it to match the block?

I had no idea you could get the LHD console and boots! I'm sitting here piecing together my setup from bits of 4runner rubber boots and leather shifter boots.
You most certainly can...in grey at least. Oak is discontinued, but that is ok, I have a can of paint that matches our oak perfectly apparently. I plan to use it on the console and the A pillar guage pod after I mod it to fit. Give Onur a call, he can source them from Japan for you.

Not going to paint it to match the block?
I ran out of cummins beige and grey already, only have cummins black left...so I guess it's getting black. I don't want to wait for a delivery to get that piece squared away.

Spent most of Saturday running around getting steel and tools, didn't get cracking until late afternoon.

I thought moving the throttle body cams to the adapter would be a simple affair, not so much. After scratching he head for a while, I decided to drill out the butterfly, and then press it off the shaft. All went well until I snapped the cruise control arm on one of the cams :censor:.

20160415_184801.jpg

I then moved onto the cross member. Stealing a page out of wheelingnoobs book, I made a spacer out of a section of 1" x 2" tube. I placed the holes for the trans bolts as far back as possible, and then drilled the holes for the mount as far forward as possible. This let me move the isolator mount forward enough to be in a good spot in relation to the cross member. Given tight clearance on the passenger side I opted to weld captive JIS nuts inside the tube.

20160417_142000.jpg

Something I was not expecting, but the spacing on the toyota cross member trans mount holes is identical to the spacing on the NV4500 mount bolts...now if only they would have lined up front to back also.

To get the cross member to line up with the NV4500 trans mount, I followed once again in wheelingnoobs footsteps and drilled out two 1.25" holes and cut a couple sections of 1.25" OD DOM...this is when I realised I had had a dyslexic moment...I drilled the holes,on the front side of the cross member...I had intended to drill them on the rear side...FML.
20160417_125019.jpg

Back to the bench to drill two more holes and cut another couple sections of DOM...feeling rather stupid at this point.

20160417_140203.jpg

Welded all four pieces of DOM in place and cut two 1.5" diameter pieces of 1/4" plate to cap off the top of the two tubes the mount will sit on. I drilled bolt holes into the caps about 1/2" wide.

20160417_161728.jpg

After the paint has dried, I will hopefully be able to install the cross member and secure the engine mounts properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom