Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20180528_122608.jpg
20180528_124553.jpg

Broke my rear drive shaft, something's wrong with my 205, and I spent three hours winching off the trail to drive an hour in fwd to get to the trailer.
Fxxxing awesome day!

Last edited:
Looks like I've stumbled across an atlas 4.3:1, so that'll be going in the Bastard. Hopefully have it in next week and I'll get on to putting in new drivelines. I can't wait to drive it with the new setup.
I'm also redoing the rear truss and upper link mounts. Thinking of going with the artec modular truss.

Should I keep the black box and run it with the atlas? I think having an automatic with 4.3:1 (and a healthy LS) should be sufficient, but having stupid low may be fun.
Obviously I'll have to continue on my path of stupid driveline lengths if I keep the range box.

Should I keep the black box and run it with the atlas? I think having an automatic with 4.3:1 (and a healthy LS) should be sufficient, but having stupid low may be fun.
Obviously I'll have to continue on my path of stupid driveline lengths if I keep the range box.

I'd ditch the range box especially if running an auto. The torque multiplication of an auto might make the gearing so low with a doubler that you'd drive through your brakes.

I had planned on running 4l65e/203/splitcase but I'm now convinced that 4l65e/atlas and 14bolt is my planned path.

You could probably make a lot of money back on your atlas if you sell the black box. Or at least enough to have yet another set of driveshafts built :rofl:

I'd ditch the range box especially if running an auto. The torque multiplication of an auto might make the gearing so low with a doubler that you'd drive through your brakes.

I had planned on running 4l65e/203/splitcase but I'm now convinced that 4l65e/atlas and 14bolt is my planned path.

Is this your next project??

Is this your next project??

Btw...how did you destroy that drive shaft? Did it make contact with something?? Was a nasty looking break.

Btw...how did you destroy that drive shaft? Did it make contact with something?? Was a nasty looking break.
I got impatient, asked the Mrs if I should just send it. She said yes, I sent it, then chad was yelling at me in the background to shut it off. In all the excitement, I came down on a sharp rock and sheared the shaft.
:grinpimp:

I'm running an Atlas 4 speed (3.8-1) with a TH350 and enjoy the extra low when needed but wouldn't want to run it with the 4l60. You have a lower 1st gear to start with and the tranny is longer than TH350

I got impatient, asked the Mrs if I should just send it. She said yes, I sent it, then chad was yelling at me in the background to shut it off. In all the excitement, I came down on a sharp rock and sheared the shaft.
:grinpimp:

clearly not your fault :D

I've run into what may be an issue with the atlas, it's a 3.8 case rather than a 4.3 which I don't think is enough of a reduction for the wheeling I like to do (I'd be going from 83:1 to 60:1). Although I had a misadventure in with the rear driveline, that is not my typical wheeling style and I really prefer to keep things really slow in the rocks.
From those with experience, am I overthinking things here? Should I just run the Atlas and shut up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom