Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After careful consideration, I think the next big step is going to be an aqualu extended tub. With the wheelbase stretch and comp cut, I'm not liking the current look of the truck, plus the proportions just don't work for me.
I've seen a couple of other people have aqualu pre-cut the rear arches to accommodate larger tires. and I think it really helps the truck look "right."
I just read you complete thread, what a journey.
I would love to build another J4 bodied rig some day soon.
As far a stretching the body out, have you thought about just getting another rear section of a 40 & welding it in rather than spending a couple thousand on a j43 aquqlu tub?

I just read you complete thread, what a journey.
I would love to build another J4 bodied rig some day soon.
As far a stretching the body out, have you thought about just getting another rear section of a 40 & welding it in rather than spending a couple thousand on a j43 aquqlu tub?
After a lot of thought (and watching the aqualu tubs go up in price dramatically) I think this will be the route I end up going. I'm not a big fan of body work, but it'll be worth doing to save a good bit of $$. There's been a few "parts" rigs that have shown up on CL recently, so I"ll try to grab one that's priced right.

I removed the overloads and one midleaf from the front leafpacks which brought the front ride height down just under an inch and a half. I'd forgotten that when I did the four link in the rear that I'd started with basic ZJ springs, then switched over to upcountry springs which are 2" taller. I'm going to switch back to the ZJ springs and will likely end up with a 1" rake (as should be for load carrying).

@mr jits does that mean you have a new project in mind? I sure enjoy reading your builds!

I do! I'm thinking JHF DIY buggy. Wanting to maybe give KOH a shot on a budget

Cool! I look forward to reading about it!

Didn't u just finish this? Why would you sell it? It's a pretty nice cruiser you built.
You obviously haven't read my other build threads. :)
I like to build stuff and I get a little bored once the project is "finished."
Also, my work schedule has gone a little crazy and my opportunities to go wheeling are pretty much zero for the next year (unless I go by myself).

I'll trade you for my 4Runner. Then you will have another project to occupy your time. It would be tough on me, but that is what friends do for each other!
Who knows, I may not end up selling it after I get the suspension fully lowered. Maybe it'll become one of those projects in stages: trail truck, crawler, then first car for the boy?

I like that idea better than you starting over... again.
me too. I know a couple guys that build then sell, then do it over again. I build, then sit on it forever. even if it sits for years w/o being used. not sure which is worse...

Alright, I've gotten the cases back in and drivelines, as well as buttoned up the bottom skid. Height looks to be exactly how I'd pictured in my head.
I have to wire up the new taillights and adjust the links a bit, but should have it back out of the garage in a day or so which means I need to plan a wheeling trip.

20180509_191658.jpg
20180509_191017.jpg

I love this little truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom