Dilemma. V8 Conversion or step up to 100 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since you are in Montana its likely the high elevation thats killing your power. Since you are already geared down to 4.88 a supercharger or turbo would make sense. I don't think a 100 series will feel all that powerful compared to what you have now, especially at elevation.

Talk to Robbie at Adventure Offload first. He is a Land Cruiser engine guru some say the best. He can guide you through your option and costs. I am putting in one of his 4.6L HC 1FZ-FE in my 80 with a completely new exhaust. It will make around 287hp/375lb over the stock 212hp/275lb.

I'm curious about this. Does anyone have a link to Adventure Offload <SP?>? Anyone have a build thread around that modified engine? Is anyone running a TRD supercharger on that modified 4.6L HC 1FZ-FE?

Yes it is the stock 1FZ-FE motor rebuilt to 4.6 and tuned up to make more HP and be even more reliable. 400k miles with proper break in and maintenance. It is a strait swap except you should upgrade your exhaust to get the best output.
Is that motor fully equipped to pass colorado emissions? That's my whole thing with the current 4.5L in my rig now. Its a pain to get it to pass emissions. I have been successful that last three times but I am always worried its not gonna pass. Obviously any new or reconditioned motor should be much cleaner burning but living in the Thornton area i am subject to emissions testing and I have had no success with the roadside testing stations and always have to take it to have it tested on the rollers. Also if you don't mind me asking, what does Robbie charge for that particular set up?

Is that motor fully equipped to pass colorado emissions? That's my whole thing with the current 4.5L in my rig now. Its a pain to get it to pass emissions. I have been successful that last three times but I am always worried its not gonna pass. Obviously any new or reconditioned motor should be much cleaner burning but living in the Thornton area i am subject to emissions testing and I have had no success with the roadside testing stations and always have to take it to have it tested on the rollers. Also if you don't mind me asking, what does Robbie charge for that particular set up?
Yes I t will pass. You will have to talk to Robbie on price. What I paid was not cheep but it better than a V8 swap and I feel I am staying true to my 80.

I'm curious about this. Does anyone have a link to Adventure Offload <SP?>? Anyone have a build thread around that modified engine? Is anyone running a TRD supercharger on that modified 4.6L HC 1FZ-FE?
He is a little old School not really a web site. I found him through Rising Sun Land Cruiser Club and Onur of Land Cruiser Parts. Why would u run a supercharger on it. You would just brake a ton of s***. 300hp in a strait six is plenty of hp.

You're right there are a lot of variables but let's limit them then? My rig has 160k on it. Front end rebuilt. Triple locked. Good (not excellent) condition. Not sure what I could get $$$ wise. Styling I prefer the 80. I've had my 80 since it had 70k miles. Most of the 'big' stuff is behind me. Have not done the head gasket.

Objectively I don't need the 80s offroad abilities over the 100 anymore. I fly fish / do light trails in Montana but nothing a 100 wouldn't handle.

I do more highway miles now that I moved to Montana (vs California) and with everyone driving 80+ could really use some pep in my step. My 80 will hover at 70 mph and like 2600 RPM.

Assume a V8 conversion and 100 series would get similar mileage (12-14mpg).

Cost is a question. I don't know how much a V8 conversions runs these days // how much I could sell my rig for // how much a 100 series would cost // how much all the gear to tack onto the 100 series would cost
Have you considered a supercharger? @NLXTACY quite happy with his. Be sure the engine is in good shape, though he started with a '96 motor...

Last edited:
Have you considered a supercharger? @NLXTACY quite happy with his. Be sure the engine is in good shape…
I think this is a great option if you have an OBD2 system.

For the price of @NLXTACY's Supercharger install (and motor rebuild and chasing down overheating) you could purchase a 2-3 year old 200!!! :rofl:

GM V8 swaps are lame.

Talk to Robbie. This seems like a brilliant option.

As @zona eloquently put it...

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 12.50.19 AM.png

If you're buying another vehicle, I honestly don't see the point of a 100 unless you need the interior space or just like the way they look. You can get the same powertrain in a number of vehicles (4th gen 4runner, GX470, Sequoia) that cost less, weigh less and are probably cheaper to maintain. Some will argue that none of them are "built as beefy" as the 100, but IMO, "beefy" just means unnecessary weight. I have wheeled 4Runners, and despite the LC elitism, a 4runner gets the job done just as well as any IFS truck out there. For your usage, it doesn't sound like that's a huge factor anyway.

Agreed. I recently bought a 3rd gen 4Runner for my oldest son and I realize driving it that everything these days is too damn big, because that truck is right sized. Paid $5K with full baseline maintenance @ 227K miles, 3" Toytec lift, 33" ST Maxx, interior is really good shape, limited edition ('99).

With no 3rd row, there's more room for the driver than in an 80 and as much in the second row, and at a ton less weight, the 3.4L smokes the 80 up steep high elevation grades with better economy and that engine has serious longevity stats. Plus...supercharged versions are not super hard to find.

It handles tight with the lift and that extra ton of weight shed makes it fun to drive. They look properly built on 33's unlike Cruisers that look like an elephant sitting in a bathtub and if you find the right model you can get the multi-mode t-case, rear e-locker, and 4:30 gears. Or (gasp) a 5-speed manual. They have a lot of clearance stock, so a 3" lift is comparatively a lot.

And...there are tons of them so parts are everwhere. For moderate wheeling and not hauling a big family, they are just perfect.

IMG_7586.JPG

IMG_7805.JPG

For the price of @NLXTACY's Supercharger install (and motor rebuild and chasing down overheating) you could purchase a 2-3 year old 200!!! :rofl:

Two things are not discussed in some households: price, and mileage.

Reactions: WvW
This was my final product from @sleeoffroad

6A63B0F6-225F-404C-996E-D3110E38F1D4_zpsqic1vwwl.jpg

632A11C5-A6F8-4314-BDF3-F237E2427CD4_zpsum4oqjdr.jpg

I've daily driven this since October of 2015 and its been perfect in every way and has met all my expectations. Slee and company were amazing during the process.

If you are looking at $/hp this math isn't going to work out. period... , but I was looking for all Toyota and a modest power increase with great reliability. I got everything I wanted except one thing that I knew I wasn't going to get and that's the ability to tune the engine and transmission in its current form.

I've done several GM V8 swaps and the seat of the pants feel was with the transmission tuning even after tuning for HP and reliability. This would be so perfect in my opinion if you could do that in this setup.

However, in the end I still wanted all Toyota and I'm happy I made the choices I did...

Good luck in whatever you decide.. You kinda just can't go wrong with any V8 power ;)

John

He is a little old School not really a web site. I found him through Rising Sun Land Cruiser Club and Onur of Land Cruiser Parts. Why would u run a supercharger on it. You would just brake a ton of s***. 300hp in a strait six is plenty of hp.

Would be interested in a test drive when you are done. He was talking about this in my driveway a couple weeks ago, and it was rather appealing.

I like the 4.6 idea, I like the supercharger idea (If you can find one. I've tried many times to break my sc'd 80, so to speak, and no luck, just keeps giving at 260,000 miles. ), I like the 4.7 Slee motor swap, and if CO allows it there WILL be a nice turbo kit available soon for 80's. Not from me but it is 100% a fact (according to my Ouija board :D)

Not downing on the LS swap either, it's amazing. Just thinking in terms of all Mr. T

I like the 4.6 idea, I like the supercharger idea (If you can find one. I've tried many times to break my sc'd 80, so to speak, and no luck, just keeps giving at 260,000 miles. ), I like the 4.7 Slee motor swap, and if CO allows it there WILL be a nice turbo kit available soon for 80's. Not from me but it is 100% a fact (according to my Ouija board :D)

Not downing on the LS swap either, it's amazing. Just thinking in terms of all Mr. T

I imagine finding an SC these days is worse than buried treasure. Robbie's 4.6 option is very interesting. I'd prefer to keep it all T as well :)

I imagine finding an SC these days is worse than buried treasure. Robbie's 4.6 option is very interesting. I'd prefer to keep it all T as well :)
A few Mud guys tried to keep the deal alive with Magnusson. Unfortunately it just didn't keep going. I am fortunate that I don't have emissions testing so at some point in the future my sc is hitting the block and I'm going turbo.

I'm lazy. Is there a ballpark price for Robbie's 4.6? $10k? 20k?

My 93 is at 346k and limping along. She will need a transplant soon. And my rebuild of my spare is stalled and collecting dust...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom