Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just out of curiosity with those who are running 4BTs or 6BTs , with atleast the 4bt aim to be around 1800 RPM at highway speeds , what gears are you guys running or recommend ? I’m trying to bring my EGTs down about 2-300 degrees , I’m cruising at 1000-1100 on the highway at 65-70 at about 2500RPM.. any opinions on regearing ?

Just out of curiosity with those who are running 4BTs or 6BTs , with atleast the 4bt aim to be around 1800 RPM at highway speeds , what gears are you guys running or recommend ? I’m trying to bring my EGTs down about 2-300 degrees , I’m cruising at 1000-1100 on the highway at 65-70 at about 2500RPM.. any opinions on regearing ?
2500 rpms @ 65mph
I’m running 1850 rpms @ 65mph in 5th gear
I’m running 4:10 in my 60. I cruise at ~600F while cruising on the flat highway. Climbing hills I’m in the 800-1100F unless I’m pushing it then can climb into the 1250-1300F range when I start to back off.

Last edited:
2500 rpms @ 65mph
I’m running 1850 rpms @ 65mph in 5th gear
I’m running 4:10 in my 60. I cruise at ~600F while cruising on the flat highway. Climbing hills I’m in the 800-1100F unless I’m pushing it then can climb into the 1250-1300F range when I start to back off.
I’m around the same , except cruising the flats I’m at 900-1000 still granted my cruisers weighs 7k lbs with a giant tent and bumpers … I’m considering going to 3:73s for better highway RPMs and lower EGTs

Some tech on the performance of the HX-30 super. With my non wastegated HX-30 I’d get up to 18 psi boost climbing a 7% grade in 5th and EGT would quickly climb above 1250F so would need to drop to 4th and slow down to ~55 mph.
Today with the HX-30 super I ran the hill at 70 mph 2030 rpms and 1100F with almost 30 psi of boost.

Some tech on the performance of the HX-30 super. With my non wastegated HX-30 I’d get up to 18 psi boost climbing a 7% grade in 5th and EGT would quickly climb above 1250F so would need to drop to 4th and slow down to ~55 mph.
Today with the HX-30 super I ran the hill at 70 mph 2030 rpms and 1100F with almost 30 psi of boost.
Looks like I need to order one up soon then ….
You should post up some pics ! I’d like to see what you’re install looks like !! I know I’d have to bash in my firewall a tad unfortunately.. we’re you able to use your same downpipe ?

Holy shed goodness 😲👍🏼

We call it the pilot bearing and you call it what, a spigot bearing?

Last edited:
Add me to the list of LC fans with a diesel Series 80. I did not build mine; it was built by Dave Martin in Kalispell, MT, from a 1993 USA spec Series 80. He installed a Toyota 1 HD-T (with rod bearing update and resealed), also the heavy-duty automatic which goes behind it, and rerouted all the plumbing to accommodate the diesel engine. I have had it about two years, I think. Best fuel mileage has been 21, but usually it's more like 19-20. I am adding an oil pan heater (Wolverine). In the winter I have to block off the radiator so the engine will warm up completely- I think the original gas engine radiator may be a little too big.

Years ago I went on a medical mission trip to the Middle East and the United Nations people there had white Series 80 LCs- really basic ones with diesels, manual shift, rubber mats on the floors, etc. That was in 1994, I think. I had to wait years to get mine but I finally have it.

I have not had trouble getting parts- easy stuff like oil and air filters I can get from the local Toyota dealer. Anything unique to the diesel I've been able to get from Dave, who knows these trucks inside and out. I highly recommend him.

Add me to the list of LC fans with a diesel Series 80. I did not build mine; it was built by Dave Martin in Kalispell, MT, from a 1993 USA spec Series 80. He installed a Toyota 1 HD-T (with rod bearing update and resealed), also the heavy-duty automatic which goes behind it, and rerouted all the plumbing to accommodate the diesel engine. I have had it about two years, I think. Best fuel mileage has been 21, but usually it's more like 19-20. I am adding an oil pan heater (Wolverine). In the winter I have to block off the radiator so the engine will warm up completely- I think the original gas engine radiator may be a little too big.

Years ago I went on a medical mission trip to the Middle East and the United Nations people there had white Series 80 LCs- really basic ones with diesels, manual shift, rubber mats on the floors, etc. That was in 1994, I think. I had to wait years to get mine but I finally have it.

I have not had trouble getting parts- easy stuff like oil and air filters I can get from the local Toyota dealer. Anything unique to the diesel I've been able to get from Dave, who knows these trucks inside and out. I highly recommend him.
Does Dave Martin have his own shop, or is it under a different name?

Hey all, I will soon be putting a 1HDFT In my 1997 lx450. There will be some performance mods done to the engine and I’m wondering if anyone has put a FASS or AIR DOG lift pump on their FT?

Hey all, I will soon be putting a 1HDFT In my 1997 lx450. There will be some performance mods done to the engine and I’m wondering if anyone has put a FASS or AIR DOG lift pump on their FT?
Some do put a lift pump. i did not and have put 80 k miles in the last 4 years with no issues. I did put a 1/2" (12 mm) fuel lines instead of the 8 mm. Also recommend a dual fuel filter.

I've run an airdog on mine for 7 years now. I like that it has a water separator and filter in it.

Hi.. Bruce Raymond here from Great Falls.
Can you send me Dave Martin's contact info?? Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom