Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's going to come together well. I can't wait to get back on it and finish it up soon. Working through some sidebar/supporting projects at the moment.

The Allison 1000 has some beef, but externally it's not much bigger than the 343/442.

The 80 series and 5.9/6.7 Cummins are a great match with the NV4500. I believe with a properly tuned 6 speed Allison it will be even better.
How will you adapt the HF2A? Or will you, rather. I know of a couple Aussies thatve done the 6bt/1000 route but the company they’ve referenced for adapters doesn’t seem to be around. Thanks!

I just have a question for you guys regarding nv4500 transmission choices.

Seems like a lot of guys are running nv4500. I had a 2g 12v 6bt p-pump cummins with nv4500, the 3rd and 4th gear gap when going uphill is not pleasant on that truck, flat road is not too bad. Either 2300rpm on 3rd or 1500rpm no boost on 4th. I am not a fan of that gap between 3rd and 4th gear. It is a heavier vehicle than an 80 series, so it might be ok on 80 series? (please chime in with your experience) nv5600 or g56 have that gap filled in.

NV5600 parts are hard to find, I understand that can be a less popular choice, what about the g56 came with 3rd gen and 4th gen cummins? Is the trans tunnel the limiting factor here?

Seems like a lot of guys are running nv4500. I had a 2g 12v 6bt p-pump cummins with nv4500, the 3rd and 4th gear gap when going uphill is not pleasant on that truck, flat road is not too bad. Either 2300rpm on 3rd or 1500rpm no boost on 4th. I am not a fan of that gap between 3rd and 4th gear. It is a heavier vehicle than an 80 series, so it might be ok on 80 series? (please chime in with your experience) nv5600 or g56 have that gap filled in.

NV5600 parts are hard to find, I understand that can be a less popular choice, what about the g56 came with 3rd gen and 4th gen cummins? Is the trans tunnel the limiting factor here?
This is the only info I have, but I don’t think size is the limiter. Also guys in there that have done Allison’s.
1705273496946.png

You got it. The lower weight of the 80 negates the ratio gap in the nv4500. You do need to raise the governed speed to atleast 3000 though. An NV4500 is not fun to drive with an engine that defuels at 2300 rpm.

6 speed is important in a 4 ton truck that tows, but imo, becomes just an extra gear to get through to get up to speed in a lighter vehicle like an 80 series.

Similarly a 4bt in an 80 is just like driving a 2nd gen dodge with an nv4500- The ratio gap is annoying because the torque to weight ratio is not great.

I like the nv4500 a lot in an 80. The nv4500 is very fast shifting for a truck tranny and the ratios feel spot on when you have the urge to apply 800 AWD ft/lbs to the road.

The most absurdly fast vehicles I've driven have been 400hp 12 valve nv4500 80 series. Awd 3rd gear drifts, instantaneous acceleration in any gear. Not the fastest vehicles, but by far the hardest for my brain to process that this lumbering soccer mom suv is somehow a land missile with the acceleration of a supercar.

Last edited:
Definitely source a later model nv4500 with the closer gear ratios. 1st is really too low for non towing situations. The gap on the early ones is too big between 3rd and 4th. I don't think it is exceptionally better in the later models. The 6 speeds are definitely nicer ratio-wise. I have a g56 behind my 2005 24 valve and it was used when I got it, it has a big truck, klunky shift feel..

1996 FZJ80 swap to 1HD-FT

What a great thread! I'm not sure if this is the right place. If not, admin /mod please move it.
1992 HDJ80R GXL 1HD-T with 500k. Lucky for me it died in the driveway (rather than 3 hours away from civilisation in the Australian VIC/ NSW high county)! Gunna re build the donk. Am wondering if a reco'd 1HZ would 'easily' slot in. Those in the know please inform me. Also, rather than putting in a new clutch, am thinking Auto. Which one would also easily slot in, and that is strong and reliable?

What a great thread! I'm not sure if this is the right place. If not, admin /mod please move it.
1992 HDJ80R GXL 1HD-T with 500k. Lucky for me it died in the driveway (rather than 3 hours away from civilisation in the Australian VIC/ NSW high county)! Gunna re build the donk. Am wondering if a reco'd 1HZ would 'easily' slot in. Those in the know please inform me. Also, rather than putting in a new clutch, am thinking Auto. Which one would also easily slot in, and that is strong and reliable?

What was the culprit?

1HZ/Auto might be the slowest possible drivetrain you can build for an 80. Great way of converting diesel fuel into noise and heat.

There are few factory 80 down here HZJ80 with A442 and indeed it's slow .. but surprisingly ( at least to me ) they are not really worst than a manual 1HZ 80 ..

2H that's a slow Turtle ( never 80 factory Drivetrain although )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom