Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now that I've driven my swapped rig for a month, I can contribute to this thread.

1. 1996 LC
2. 1HD-T with Gturbo Grunter and Wholesale Automatics A442f Extreme
3. Overall, the swap works really well.
4. Bought this rig already swapped but had to tune it. I was surprised by how tedious it was to get the boost compensator tuned correctly. But, after getting that set, the truck really drives well, with good EGTs.
5. CDL Switch, Front and Rear ARBs, OME stock height lift, Slee headlight harness, 315 Duratracs
6. This engine is great in my daily driver. It accelerates almost like a gas engine on pavement but the low down torque is awesome off road.
7. I get and average of about 18.5 mpg for a mix of city and highway. My average could easily get above 20mpg but highway traffic out here requires me to drive about 80 mph. So, I consider my current mileage to be really good!
8. I didn't perform the swap but the previous owner did have to call in the professionals and have Torfab complete it. After Torfab did their work, though, this truck feels like a factory diesel.
9. 2 to 3 pictures of your rig. (see below)
10.My build - Lumpskie's Diesel 80 build

Pics:

So I have been driving my 6BT swap for about 2 weeks, only issue I have is my alternator voltage regulator, is bad but I have another one, I believe my stand alone is about where I want it, I have full TC lock up at 35 and 45, I think the next thing is changing my gearing, to 3.54 . I have been getting 19-21.6 MPG ( I have a heavy foot ) and I am pretty happy with it, I get a lot of attention from the WTF looks and the OMFG I want one, I let my son drive it to school and his buddies are a little jelly :hillbilly: . I will do this again, maybe even buy one and flip it :steer:

20170407_184533.jpg

Here is the manifold AC adapter made by Diesel Adapters, it let's you run stock lines, and manifold, it bolts right to the back of the dodge AC unit

20170526_171247.jpg

20170526_171256.jpg

Reactions: MJW
The mechanical part is easiest part. Electronic side is the most PITA.

Yes, it is, and getting the right stand alone to run a Land Cruiser, with the 343, is entertaining, I have mine pretty good, and I am happy with, most of it, but getting a 4BT, is in my opinion a waste of time, electronic fuel injection, and a electronic transmission what a headache, and wiring this, I have heard Cummins is doing these kit's for Jeep based vehicles, I have heard from a pretty good source, someone will have to figure out the swap on our vehicles, where as Cummins already works with Chrysler, and is working now with them on this, a swap for a Chrysler product, nobody else, is getting a plug and play unit.

hey guys, I have a 94 with the diesel adapters kit. Everything is working well after some work. The time has come to change the starter and im wondering if anyone else has done this. The starter that mine came with is not a stock 94 cummins. the drive gear and electric motor are in line on the one currently mounted where as the stock 94 has the solenoid in line with the drive gear. The stock 94 starter seems like it will hit the frame under engine vibration. Any ideas?

Do you have the bell housing adapter or engine plate adapter. He has made 2 versions. The early one uses a ford 6.4 starter. And engine adapter plate. The newest model does a custom bellgoisimg using the dodge engine adapter plate from a 12v.

Also post this in the main tech section to not cluder this thread a collection of diesel swaps
hey guys, I have a 94 with the diesel adapters kit. Everything is working well after some work. The time has come to change the starter and im wondering if anyone else has done this. The starter that mine came with is not a stock 94 cummins. the drive gear and electric motor are in line on the one currently mounted where as the stock 94 has the solenoid in line with the drive gear. The stock 94 starter seems like it will hit the frame under engine vibration. Any ideas?

figured out the starter was from a 6.7 and it bolted right up without touching the frame. starts great now. Thanks for the response.

Ok started another swap it will be ready for the diesel, got everything ready in just 7 hours by myself, and when I say everything just need to take the 2nd nut's off the body bolt's and remove the tranny lines connected to the radiator

20170715_183038_resized.jpg

20170715_183027_resized.jpg

1. 1993 triple locked with blown head gasket.

2. 1992 Cummins 6bt mated to an NV4500

3. The engine just fits so well. Also, I used a chevy clutch pedal and bucket that bolted up flawlessly. I ended up using the stock dodge accessory mount and making a custom lower radiator hose.

4. Finishing it :). I started in June and got within a day or two of finishing and then had to let it sit for a month while I worked on other projects.

5. OME 3" comp springs in front, 863J in rear, 1" body lift, 37's, CDL switch

6. Drives amazing. Hard not to like it and use all the power :)

7. I'm getting around 19 but so far have been towing a tent trailer 80% of the time on end of summer adventures.

8. I'd say the star rating depends on your wallet :). You can do this with almost all bolt on stuff and make it a two star. Or you can roll your own and fab a decent amount of parts and make it a four star. I went option two and love it.

IMG_3316.JPG
IMG_3305.JPG
IMG_3283.JPG

10. Build thread

View attachment 1527373

1. 1993 with dead HZ engine.

2. 2002 Mercedes Benz Common Rail CDI 320 to stock H150 trans

3. No major issues fitting the engine in the bay, used custom made adaptor plate and custom milled flywheel. Everything bolted straight on.

4. Under the heavy tests right now, wiring gauges and etc under process of finalizing.Project took a while as we had to design everything and then manufacture. Plus teh ECU was a PITA - took almost 4 months to get finalized and get it right.

5. OME 2" standard lift. 35 tires

6. Drives like 5.7 Toyota petrol, effortless take off and gaining speed amazing like a regular car not a truck :)

7. During the test in city I am getting 10-12 liters per 100KMS, very fuel efficient. I was looking installing a 200 liter subtank. now I am looking into just installing stock 50L subtank.

8. Costly, we had to pay for designing of flywheel, adapter plate. ECU cost us a fortune.

1. 1993 triple locked 80 series
2. Mercedes OM606 turbodiesel, Built Toyota R150f transmission, HZJ79 transfer adapter housing and spud shaft, rebuilt fj62 38mm split case converted to manual shift.
3. The adapter plate, flywheel design and manufacturing. I had to design my own adapter and flywheel; and it was dead on the first time and I had ZERO autocad experience.
4. Everything else was unexpectedly difficult. The most difficult parts were getting the engine located due to being only one guy and this swap having never been done. Also modifying the floorboard and shifter wasn't fun either.
5. Compound turbo system at the moment, Treadstone front mount intercooler and custom piping, DPUK 150cc mechanical injection pump

*** 9/17/21 single HE221W with 7cm² turbine housing and a custom log style exhaust manifold with a DieselMeken 120cc injection pump. Sold the DPUK pump and old motor.

6.Gutless turd that smokes like a cyprus hill concert. Turns out the motor is running only 200 psi on cylinders 1 and 2 and cylinder 3 has a whopping 10, a far cry from the 415 the other 3 are running, so im already looking for a replacement motor. I car faxed the VIN afterwards to find the car had 2x the mileage the salvage yard stated and put on their receipt, but since its past the 90 days they wont even return my calls.

**** She gets up and goes quite well 98% of the time with little to no smoke. The other 2% of the time is operator error. It drives light in the front end with the weight reduction and the part time transfer case and hubs. She hasn't seen much in the way of true offroad since the swap due to a new job and some other stuff. Still sorting out little things and refining the whole setup.

7. TBD, less than original fuel consumption

***** I haven't come up with a solid average as it has been mostly in town driving but I've seen 21.4mpg on a tank of only in town driving and 24.8 mpg with 85% of a tank in town. I'm guessing it is somewhere in the high 20's just freeway.
8. ***
10. My 3 linked daily driver build thread

CompoundCruiser.JPG

intercoolercruiser.JPG

90%cruiser.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a Toyota 1VD-FTV twin turbo would fit in an FZJ80?

Does anyone know if a Toyota 1VD-FTV twin turbo would fit in an FZJ80?

The twin turbo won't fit, but the single turbo will. To be perfectly honest, unless you live in AUS, I wouldn't put one into anything in the US. It's not happy on our fuel, and turbo's go out, etc. We have a customer with a Tundra converted to that engine, and they're not happy. It was done at another shop, and we had to fix a bunch of issues immediately after it was finished.

The twin turbo won't fit, but the single turbo will. To be perfectly honest, unless you live in AUS, I wouldn't put one into anything in the US. It's not happy on our fuel, and turbo's go out, etc. We have a customer with a Tundra converted to that engine, and they're not happy. It was done at another shop, and we had to fix a bunch of issues immediately after it was finished.
Good to know, and thanks for the reply.

Do you think if I'm looking for a diesel with comparable power to look into maybe a Cummins 5.0L V8? or any recommendations? I really want to stay with a toyota engine but the 1VD-FTV seems to be the only one with good power stats.

a 1HD-FTE will get the job done, especially with custom tune and G-Turbo. Not sure if the 5.0 will be the next available engine from Cummins, but I'm excited about it. I've been driving my R2.8 powered FJ62 for a while now and still really like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom