My 3 linked daily driver build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So It's been a while since I added any updates. I've been gathering parts together and developing an adapter setup which is nearly complete. It has been a lot of research and time and money but now that I'm a single part away from the setup coming to fruition I feel I can share a little. Recently a memeber started swapping a Mercedes CDI engine into his cruiser. And more recently another member asked if anyone had swapped an OM606 into a cruiser. Well, I am working on the latter at the moment. I have the running engine with a DPUK 400hp injection pump. I have an R150f 5 speed which is getting some upgrades for strength and to accept a larger clutch. I have the parts to adapt it to a Land Cruiser split case. I have the split case I have other miscellaneous parts. I have developed an adapter plate and had it machined. I developed a flywheel adapter setup which is nearly complete. The hope is that in the next couple of weeks that will be complete. Then I will assemble my drivetrain and prepare it for transplant, but transplant will not occur until June which is the next time I will have a block of time to do the work. It's been nearly a year in the making since I'm not financing any of it and still have to pay bills, that and it's all new territory. Had to learn rudimentary AutoCAD skills to develop parts files to save Money, but I'm nearly there. This is the first time I have felt confident in a swap since the whole 4bd2t debacle. This one is just a single part away from done and I should have the file finished and off to my machinist in a weeks time. Afterwards it's all the fine details I can do here and there before June like getting transmission cases and transfer case housings and random parts to the metal cleaners and sourcing the remaining parts I would like to have. Anyway, pictures or it isn't/didn't happening/happen. I'm sure I will catch crap for the transmission but save it, I looked at other options and went with what was available, replaceable, inexpensive and buildable to handle the power.

IMG_4434.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4587.JPG

IMG_4619.JPG

Last edited:
Last pics for now. I will start a build thread when it gets off the ground.

IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4622.JPG

I should also mention, the reasoning behind the OM606 turbodiesel instead of a Cummins is originality for one, and more importantly bringing something new to the community. Once complete and road tested I plan to offer the adapter setup. I also plan on developing the setup to work with the stock r150f bellhousing for those individuals who don't feel the need for 300+ hp. The stock sized 10" clutch used with 95+ r150f transmissions would be sufficient for fewer HP. If time permits and I can get a cheap enough transmission I may also design an adapter to the A440f. The idea is that I would like to be able to offer this as an option to the full spectrum of Toyota 4x4's. Tacos, hilux, 4runners and cruisers. And due to the similarities, the Jeep AX15 crowd. I promise nothing more than my current adapter setup, but hope to bring more options to those that wish to go the diesel route.

Nice work!!

Nice work!!
Thank you, I appreciate it. There will be more revision work when I do the swap.
Awesome build. Looking forwards to see that diesel purr.

Been driving my 3 link daily. Love it.

She's beautiful. Looks like you have some goodies. Coil overs? Double shear front? Or crossover with hell fire knuckles? Looks great.

Dude.... NICE!!!!!

I was talking to Luke awhile back about a 606 swap into an 80. Can't remember if he said he had done one or was mid process but waiting for $$$ from the owner.

Very nice swap, hope to check it out this summer when we roll through!

-A

What kind of upgrades are you planning for the R150f? Lots of problems reported with those transmissions in 1HZ equipped 7x Series cruisers.

@AMMO hows it going? Didn't realize there was so much interest in the 606 swap when I set out to do it. I won't be starting the transplant until mid to late June which is when I will have the time. However, I'm hoping to have it all ready to go in by then.
@Douglas S there are people out there putting over 500 hp through R series transmissions with only the hardened thrust washer and billet bearing retainer plate. There are also billet shift forks if that ever becomes an isssue. The most common issues people have with these transmissions is neglect. They think their transmission is going out when it's just a shift seat, so they cram them into gear when nothing is properly aligned and actually damage them. That and the guys that are running heavy HP with their small blocks start having issues when the stock countershaft thrust washer is destroyed because of excessive play from a stamped metal bearing reatainer. As I said, not the ideal choice or my first choice, but I couldn't get an H150/151f or h55f for a decent price and same with the nv4500. The R-series are everywhere and cheap, for the 95+ units it's cheaper to get another used one from a wrecking yard than to buy a rebuild kit. You can also swap the 5th gear in the transmission with the Dyna 452 gears for a better cruising gear and the 1st gear from an r151 for a lower first gear if one wanted. The R150f is a medium duty transmission and with the minor upgrades it should hold up. Only time will tell. I figure that if a guy in Sweden running the om605 (5 cylinder) with over 400hp through his stock jeep AX15 hasn't had any issues yet then this one with some upgrades should be fine.

Well, I have a highly detailed and strict build schedule that I put together to kick this build off. It starts on June 14th. And I'm behind schedule already Lol! My machinist couldn't make my flywheel so he sent me to someone who could. I told him it needed done by June 14th and he said he could have it done once I handed him the CAD file. He tells me it's at least a week and a half away at the moment. I made a back up list of things that I could do in the meanwhile, however it didn't account for such a set back. So, I will update as I can. I will do my best to take pictures, but I'm pretty bad about that. I will begin tomorrow doing whatever I can to try and make up time. I'm also waiting on Marlin Crawler who I ordered my parts from months ago to get my final part they keep telling me is 2 weeks out....every 3 weeks. It's getting old fast. At this point I'm waiting on parts that I ordered months ago and should have been delivered weeks ago. Bare with me.

Update: I received a box full of parts to convert my 38mm split case to a manual shift from Dave Stedman at @Japan4X4

I can't say enough good things about Dave and how crucial he has been in sourcing parts and figuring out the whole transmission and transfer case side of things. He and his crew are helpful, quick, courteous, and more than reasonably priced. And my packages always arrive from Japan within a few days. Thanks again Dave and Crew.

Last edited:
Ok what I have done:
replaced the following on the engine: injection pump with 400hp capable mechanical pump, oil pump with om648 pump, vacuum pump, alternator (150 amp upgrade),water pump ( metal impeller upgrade), power steering pump,thermostat, coolant line o-rings, oil cooler line o-rings, om648 rear sump oil pan, valve cover gaskets, injector return lines, serpentine belt damper shock, idler pulley, damper assembly bolt cover, front main seal, glow plugs with monark glowplugs, fuel lines and banjo bolts to work with mechanical injection pump and om606 fuel filter housing, primary fuel filter, secondary fuel filter and all fuel system o-rings, oil filter and oil, rebuilt stock k14 turbo, built secondary turbo, added oil line m16x1.5 to -6AN adapter from the block for the stock turbo, added an elbow and a Fragola oil pressure sensor adapter to that and then reduced it down to -4AN for the stock turbo feed line, added m12x1.5 to -4AN adapter to k14 turbo. Made dipstick tube adapter bushing and flange, just have to figure out proper positioning and weld it all together. Had American metal cleaners clean and then I Painted the valve cover, K14 compressor housing, accessory mounts, motor mounts, oil filter housing, transmission front case, bell housing, transfer case housings, output flanges and PTO cover. I also cleaned and painted the pulleys and damper.

To do to engine: finish dipstick tube adapter, add AC pump and serpentine belt, add secondary turbo feed line adapter (m12x1.25 to -6AN), replace rear Main seal, make k14 external wastegate adapter with EGT sensor bung, adapt secondary turbo (HX40w billet with BD Diesel wastegate-less 12cm^2 exhaust housing), make new mount for k14 kunigawa adjustable internal wastegate, figure out final oil drain setup.

Transmission and transfer case:
Rebuilt FJ62 38mm split case with terrain tamer kit (all koyo bearings),waiting on one bearing for HZJ79 split case to arrive so I can complete the case. Waiting on bearing retainer from Marlin Crawler STILL! Converted from vacuum shift to manual shift, assembled the new HZJ79 shifter assembly to the transfer case adapter housing.

Pics of what's been done.

IMG_4881.JPG

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG

Last edited:
Dipstick adapter

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

Last edited:
Transfer case part 1

IMG_4908.JPG

IMG_4910.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG

Last edited:
Transfer part 2

IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4922.JPG

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

Last edited:
transfer case part 3

IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4935.JPG

IMG_4934.JPG

Last edited:
transfer case part 4 should it come to that...beginning to look like Rambo movies.

Last edited:
transmission and adapter housing so far

IMG_4924.JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

Last edited:
Still no flywheel, but Marlin did send me my bearing retainer plate finally; it arrived yesterday 6/30/2017. I spent the last 3 days working on adapting my HX40 and the TurboSmart hypergate 45. Did some welding with the new multi-process. Had my MIG set up DCEN and didn't realize it and laid down some ropey cold welds. Smoothed some out with the tig torch....first time ever doing tig welding....steep learning curve. Had to join mild steel and stainless which was fun to learn. Nowhere near an expert, but some of the welds turned out pretty decent. I'm going to go back over the rest of the MIG welds with the tig torch and flatten them out and burn them in deeper. Figuring out how to set everything up taught me one thing...I never want to be a pipe fitter. Anyway, have to figure out oil drains and either find a place to AC tig my aluminum fittings or MIG them with the new spool gun. My machine is a new ESAB Rebel 215ic which is a DC only machine. On to the pictures...sorry for the crap quality...phone camera.

IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4960.JPG

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4966.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom