Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Stone, Mar 2, 2010.

1. cody c

cody c

You can take mine for $20K.

2. mryanangel

mryanangel SILVER Star

I'm not selling mine for less than 35k

3. Delta VS

Delta VS Supporting Vendor

1. Year and model of the original truck.

2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in.

Cummins 2.8L crate engine package

3. What went really well with the swap?

Pretty much everything. We jus took our time, carefully designing the swap kit as we went along.

4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap?

Not finished yet, cruise control will be potentially difficult to get working since it's drive by wire, AC hasn't been attacked yet.

5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any?

Waaaaay too many to list here, check out this thread for details on build: Delta Vehicle Systems goes to Overland

6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement.

Just took the rig on a "break-in" drive, the Cummins RePower Cruise. Boise>Idaho Falls>Missoula>Spokane>Boise. Total of 1,217 miles right off the bat. Mostly freeway driving, some dirt roads. Throttle response is a bit lacking, but we are working on a tune to address that.

Using the A440F seems to be the ticket. Doing this will keep the conversion cost way down, and it drives pretty darn nice.

7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap...lol. :D

Seeing about 22mpg with 35x12.5x17 General X3's. Waaaaay better than the 3FE would be able to pull off!!

8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy.

Still working on that part. We intend to have a kit that makes it an almost completely "bolt-in" operation, minus welding in motor mounts.

9. 2 to 3 pictures of your rig.

IMG_0451.jpg IMG_3342.jpg IMG_3344.jpg IMG_3424.jpg IMG_3507.jpg

10. A link to your own build thread with all the juicy details and pictures.

See #5 above.

Devigili22, bdg4512, NateMob and 5 others like this.
  4. ofer bruhis

ofer bruhis

Well, I guess I am comfortable to post mine now after semi-finishing the project.

1. Year and model of the original truck... 1993. Originally purchase 1998 as a family car. Was parked for 4 years - kids left the house. :(
    2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in.... 1HDFT/H151. Drivetrain work was done by Vally Hybrids in Stockton. Georg and Dom are my heroes!
    3. What went really well with the swap?... Since it is an original engine for this vehicle, there were no complications. Blogs on this site helped a lot!
    4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap?... Nothing specific.
    5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any? Building a full camper, so the back will be a couch + fully functional kitchen. Hot water with circulating pump.
    6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement... Drove this weekend 2000 miles to Arizona and back including 4 wheeling. No issues at all.
    7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap...lol. :D... Got 23 mpg on this trip at 70 mph and also some 4 wheeling.
    8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy... Probably ***. Blogs helped very much.
    9. 2 to 3 pictures of your rig.
    10. A link to your own build thread with all the juicy details and pictures.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/OaywEMCS9z0jNLvO2

IMG_8836.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG IMG_8850.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.