Diesel crank but no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have a HDJ80 24 valve manual which cranks but won't start, I have been searching far and wide for an answer with no joy. Any ideas?

The immobilizer has been removed, which strangely was wired to the starter, and the ignition fuse has no power, although it still won't start if I wire this to the battery.

TIA

When was the last time you drove it/started the truck successfully? Checked all fuses inside the cabin and under the hood? No burnt electrical smells? There isn't a whole lot of electronics with the HDFT. The immobilizer is what might be giving you the issue.

Try the fuses, and give us more information please. There are a ton of extremely talented and good hearted people on this forum who have all sorts of helpful ideas.

I'll try to post this thread over in the 24V/diesel section as that lot might have a bit more direct experience.

Check your primer for fuel. Primer should get stiff with a couple of pumps.
If fuel is good check fuel solenoid on pump this is one wire and you can disconnect.

You should hear an audible click from the fuel cut solenoidas the ignition is turned on. You can run a temporary jumper lead from the battery to the solenoid with a switch and drive it

If it's cranking over ok, you're not getting fuel into the cylinders.

HD-FT is direct injection into the cylinder. It should fire on the first compression stroke.

Check the fuel pump primer is firm. But even if the primer us no good, if the truck was running when it was parked, I'd expect it to start on fuel left in the pump and fuel hose to the pump. May not keep running, but should have started.

The other thing that will stop fuel is the fuel cut off solenoid on the top of the pump.
When you turn off the ignition, this solenoid is what stops the engine running by stopping fuel flow in the pump.

on top of your fuel pump there should be a selenoid with a wire on it, if it is bad it wont let fuel to the engine...sometimes is the cable, sometimes is the selenoid...put a jump cable on top of it to the positive side of batt then try to start it

Thanks very much for the help, all the fuses are good, but there is no power to the ignition fuse. There is power going to the primer pump, although not sure if it's actually working. Was parked for about a week when it stopped working, but facing up a fairly steep hill, so maybe some kind of airlock as well? I will try connecting the solenoid to the battery asap.
Does anyone know a reason why there isn't power to the ignition fuse?

No start after being parked facing up hill is a classic case of the fuel draining back into the tank due to either a fuel line or primer pump letting in air.
As mentioned, does the primer stiffen?
Where are you based in England?

You have a manual primer.
See pics
See pic of fuel solenoid #22390A
Unplug and run a fused wire to the positive post on your battery or to a fuse in the engine fuse box under the hood....there are spares.
If the solenoid is dickered change it
If you have fuel to injectors and she cranks the really is no reason not to start.

Screenshot_20190317-184854_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190317-185610_Chrome.jpg

thanks for all the replies. I have put a cable onto the solenoid and it makes a click when you connect it to the battery, but it still wont start, even with the fuel pump connected straight to a can of diesel. could the solenoid be broken and still make the click? any other ideas? tia

Have replaced the solenoid and now the truck runs, but it won't charge. I'm assuming this is because the ignition wire has no power, but it seems odd that the radio still comes on but the alternator does not? Or is the radio not controlled by the same ignition circuit? Any ideas why the ignition cable has no power? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom