Did my transmission sh*T the bed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my way out of the neighborhood today, my ‘93 HDJ81 with the a442f auto transmission upshifted VERY hard on a downhill and I started hearing a cyclical metal-on-metal sound. I turned around as soon as I heard it and parked the rig. At quicker speeds (15-20mph) I couldn’t hear the sound but at slower speeds it sounded like metal was rubbing on metal but only at a certain point in the “cycle” of the driveshaft rotating. I’m towing it to the mechanic tomorrow but does anybody have an idea as to what could have happened? I don’t have a good feeling about it…

Check the front drive flange and CV joint splines to see if either are stripped??

Is it a grating, grinding, grrrrr, or harsh metallic zipper sound?

Check the front drive flange and CV joint splines to see if either are stripped??

Is it a grating, grinding, grrrrr, or harsh metallic zipper sound?
It sounds like a grinding but only at 12 o’clock-2oclock on a 360° wheel, if that makes sense. When I’m rolling, there’s no grinding except for half a second at the same interval as if there’s one part that’s messed up, but the rest is fine. May try to get a video tomorrow but it’s seemingly beyond my scope of expertise as a weekend warrior with this stuff.

A slow speed upshift shouldn't hurt that transmission. If you were coasting downhill it's possible the upshift went 2 gears (2nd to OD) in which case the truck may have free-falled for a second then the transmission engaged just as the torque converter locked up. This would account for the hard shift. Might have broke something.

I would check the driveline first though. You said the noise cycles in unison with drive shaft rotation. The driveshaft rotates at transmission input speed only in 3rd.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom