Grinding noise: A442F Transmission Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'94 FJZ80, stock height. Took the new to me cruiser for its first offroading trip today. At the end of the day I went up a steep hill and I had a hard time switching between 4low and 4high, like it didn't want to go into gear. After I got back down the hill there was a grinding noise when moving in both forward and reverse. Could feel the vibrations through the transfer case gear selector. The transmission hesitates and stutters when going forward. I had my buddy tow me home, and no grinding in neutral with the engine on, so that rules out the brakes. I did notice a whining sound when in first gear before the grinding started. The grinding noise is a horrible metal on metal sound. Any ideas on what it could be or how to diagnose the issue, if it is transmission or transfer case? I just did a fluid change in the transfer case and transmission. The fluid level in the transmission is perfect--right between the hot marks on the dipstick. I also just did a front and rear axle rebuild, new wheel bearings, new brake pads and rotors.

Did you ever get it into 4L? And is the sound only present in 4L?
And no issues with the truck prior to the offroad session?

Just did an axle rebuild? Did you lube the bronze spindle bushing?

Thanks for the replies.

Did you ever get it into 4L? And is the sound only present in 4L?

Grinding happens in both 4L and 4Hi (we got it in 4L eventually), both forward and reverse.

And no issues with the truck prior to the offroad session?

Only a slight whine in first gear.

Just did an axle rebuild? Did you lube the bronze spindle bushing?

Yeah I got the new spindles with needle bearings and packed them well with grease. It doesn't make any noise in neutral when I was towed so I think the axles are fine.

It shifts into all gears fine, only grinds when I start moving in gear.

I'm thinking of disconnecting front and rear driveshafts and getting under and listening while it is reving in gear (with the help of a long screwdriver) to pinpoint the source of the noise.

Did you rule out exhaust getting bent against a driveshaft or similar during your offroading? Also, describe trying to switch from Lo to Hi and having trouble. Since it is new to you, this should only be done at a full stop on level ground without tension in the drivetrain. This seems like something simple, not a catastrophic failure. Unless the hill you went up was serious violent wheel spinning and then hooking up on rocks, Budweiser beer commercial stuff...

The transfer case shift lever is a common issue. I had this problem on my 91 and on my 97. After servicing it takes 2 fingers to shift now.

Unless the hill you went up was serious violent wheel spinning and then hooking up on rocks, Budweiser beer commercial stuff...

Nah, it was just a steep sandy hill :) I tried to make it up in 4Hi (triple locked) but lost momentum. I switched to 4Lo at a full stop but had some trouble, like it didn't want to go in gear. Eventually got it in 4Lo, spun the tires a little, then backed down and noticed the grinding noise. I'd previously switched back and forth between Lo and HI about 10 times previously without any issue.

Did you rule out exhaust getting bent against a driveshaft or similar during your offroading?

Yeah exaust looks fine and isn't contacting the driveshaft, both are solid when I try to shake them. Also the grinding only happens when moving in gear, while moving in neutral is fine. I'm planning to drop both driveshafts tonight so I can get underneath and listen to the noise.

If it's grinding only in gear, that seems to point to transmission internals. Everything else from t-case on down is in motion when the truck is moving, even in neutral.

That is good to know. I was hoping it was the tcase since I could probably repair or rebuild that myself, the transmission not so much...

I wonder if it isn't getting fully into 4HI and 4LO? The description definitely points to the Transfer Case. This reminds me to go exercise the shifter on mine.

A long time ago in a world far away when my 80 was about 5 years old, I shifted to Lo to go up a hill. As the RPMs came up, I could hear the drivetrain putting out what would best be described as a "yowling" whine - fairly loud. It was a short hill. I shifted back to Hi range and the rest of the day and years since have never heard it again. However, in the large number of 80 offroad videos I've watched over the decades I have heard this same sound from other 80s a couple times - only at higher RPMs such as you would use on a steep but smooth hill (not crawling speeds).

This made me wonder if these trucks can get "partly shifted" somehow if not used in Lo for long periods. I never looked into it.

Also, I don't know if this gets much air time these days but if you over grease the rear drive shaft splines, you will telescope the shaft longer and can crush components in the center diff. If you hit a big bump soon after doing this (such as leaving your garage right after greasein, and backing down to a bump at the end of the driveway) you have a hydraulically locked shaft that cannot telescope and it can produce ENORMOUS impact force on the center diff that it was not designed to handle. Mentioning in case you recently (over) greased or tend to do this. I only put a dozen hand pumps into it and if your shaft starts to telescope you have put too much in there and should consider unscrewing the zirc and going for a short gentle drive and cleaning up the slung grease as penance.

Out of curiosity, do you feel comfortable recording the sound and posting a video of it?

I removed both driveshafts and it definitely sounds and feels like it is coming from the transmission. I removed the tranny drain plug that I cleaned last week and there is a layer of metal fuzz on the magnet but no huge chunks. It seems like a bearing went bad in the transmission or something like that. I have a video that I will post shortly.

Here is a video. It sounded much worse when the driveshafts were connected and it was under load.

Ok...so the question is - is the sound apparent when the truck is rolling but in neutral? Your earlier post suggested it was not because you were being towed, in neutral, and there was no sound. With no axles attached to the tcase, as in the video, there is an intrinsic difference.
Plus the sound is definitely louder when you point towards the tranny pan.

No sound when rolling in neutral. Yeah it sounded very loud near the tranny pan. I'm thinking I'll remove the transfer case to be sure and then the only thing left is the tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom