Depo Headlight Poor Light Output (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife generally daily drives our LC and has complained before the headlights suck. Its been a long time since I have driven it at night not on a well lit street but the other day was out and about in the LC and its getting dark early. The headlights on this thing are borderline dangerous. Like you cant see s*** without streetlights.

It had Depo headlights on it when I bought it, is it due to the headlights? Or maybe the bulbs? Both high and low beams are basically worthless. You can see in the photo below headlights are clear so its not a yellowing issue. The Stedi fog lights in the bumper are brighter than the high beams but you get flashed all the time if I run with them on.

Headlights.jpg

Why do you get flashed with the fogs? At about 25 feet back from a wall the fog light cut off should be at about 18 inch off the ground. FYI I have Stedi fogs in a TJM bumper and have had zero issues with oncoming traffic.

That said, I'm running Stedi Copperhead LEDs in both my high and low beam positions (in Glass Depos on my 99) and while the light pattern is a bit splochy they throw a decent amount of light down the road. Here's a great resource for aiming.... http://danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf

The caveat to LEDS in the highbeam positions is, you'll have to snip the daytime running light wire (or add a switch) under the steering column (I forget the pin position--you'll find if you search) to run the leds in you highbeams.

Finally, I noticed you also have the same Aux lights from Stedi as I do. If you get the copperheads also get the parking lamps they sell. With that combo all the front white lights will be temperature matched (5000K). Assuming you geek out about that sort of stuff. :)

Last edited:
Why do you get flashed with the fogs? At about 25 feet back from a wall the fog light cut off should be at about 18 inch off the ground. FYI I have Stedi fogs in a TJM bumper and have had zero issues with oncoming traffic.

That said, I'm running Stedi Copperhead LEDs in both my high and low beam positions (in Glass Depos on my 99) and while the light pattern is a bit splochy they throw a decent amount of light down the road. Here's a great resource for aiming.... http://danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf

The caveat to LEDS in the highbeam positions is, you'll have to snip the daytime running light wire (or add a switch) under the steering column (I forget the pin position--you'll find if you search) to run the leds in you highbeams.

Finally, I noticed you also have the same Aux lights from Stedi as I do. If you get the copperheads also get the parking lamps they sell. With that combo all the front white lights will be temperature matched (5000K). Assuming you geek out about that sort of stuff. :)

Right now getting flashed for the fogs because they are aimed up so we can see. They are currently getting used basically as high beams since they are brighter and shine further out than the high beams do.

Do you get flashed much for the LED bulbs? and are they much of an improvement over the halogen bulbs? I have been researching on Mud some and am trying to figure out if I want to buy LED bulbs or just put the money towards an HID retrofit. Ive never done that before but it doesn't look all that hard......just money I didnt really want to spend. We have just entered that period in the NW though that its basically dark all the time after work LOL

Thank you for the tip on the temperature matching. So far I have been really happy with Stedi products. I looked yesterday and it appears you can purchase their products through Napa now which is interesting

Had the same issue up and down Snoqualmie Pass during the winter. Couldn't see/didn't feel safe. Projector retrofit solved that.

Do a projector retrofit and HIDs. Factory Toyota and Lexus headlights suck on most of these older model cars with very few exceptions.

I disagree on the above ^^ I installed OEM brand new head lights and then throw in Hella 70W bulbs (got a simple mod to do: I did a thread in this forum) and the road is crystal clear. It's about 2-4 times brighter than my 21 Taco with factory OEM LED headlights.

Check for ground wires, make sure your alternator is putting out about 14 V with headlight on. Depo/TYC is not bad because I bought a set of TYC for my 4R (1997) and then though it is not good, and went with OEM Koito/Toyota lights and see no difference. Cutoff line ect are identical on both.

Are you using blue lights? about 6000K bulbs? then yeah, it is bright on dry paymet only.

Last edited:
We installed the Depo headlights in my son’s 2000 LC a number of years ago, and while they’re not a HID retrofit, they have been much better than the aftermarket offerings for the LX….

I went with this for LED headlights and makes a huge difference in night driving. I don't get flashed either. I also went with there interior lights and im very pleased also.

I have an LX, but it also gets bashed for having bad lights. Untrue. Run a quality bulb of the correct color in a Toyota/Koito housing and they perform well. Sure, they’re not the same as more modern HID or LED but they hold their own.

I run:
Tungsram +120 H1 for low beam
Toshiba HIR1 9011 for high beam
Flosser selective yellow H3 for fog

You want bad lights? Try driving a VW MKIV platform Jetta at night. A candle out the window was better than those Hella atrocities.

Depos on my 2006 work fine. Im using sylvania silver star ultra bulbs which work well.

Sounds like the op may need to adjust the aim of the bulbs.

Right now getting flashed for the fogs because they are aimed up so we can see. They are currently getting used basically as high beams since they are brighter and shine further out than the high beams do.

Do you get flashed much for the LED bulbs? and are they much of an improvement over the halogen bulbs? I have been researching on Mud some and am trying to figure out if I want to buy LED bulbs or just put the money towards an HID retrofit. Ive never done that before but it doesn't look all that hard......just money I didnt really want to spend. We have just entered that period in the NW though that its basically dark all the time after work LOL

Thank you for the tip on the temperature matching. So far I have been really happy with Stedi products. I looked yesterday and it appears you can purchase their products through Napa now which is interesting

I've never been flashed with the LEDs in and I'd say they are 100% better the halogens (6011/6012s) I had before. Interesting that the Stedi's are available stateside. It still might be cheaper to buy them in Aus and have them shipped. Pricing in the USA for a pair seems to be around $139 USD while in Aus they are $139 AUSD so $90 USD. So conceivably your out the door for highs and lows for $180 USD plus shipping which I'd expect wont be $98.

You may want to install higher wattage bulb from Hella, I carry and sold many sets of the 1 piece Depo lamps over the yrs. Have not have any complaint so far for brightness. Even for my stock LX570 ( pre hid model ), I find it is quite bright with higher wattage Hella bulb.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will likely try pulling up to the garage and aiming them tonight. For some reason it never dawned on me that they may need to be aimed up but they really just dont even light up the ground in front of the car well either. I'll maybe try different bulbs after that.

I have a feeling though I may do an HID retrofit. Its shocking going from driving my 23' Tundra at night to the LC. Definitely needs something in the headlight department and HID retro doesnt seem all that expensive really.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will likely try pulling up to the garage and aiming them tonight. For some reason it never dawned on me that they may need to be aimed up but they really just dont even light up the ground in front of the car well either. I'll maybe try different bulbs after that.

I have a feeling though I may do an HID retrofit. Its shocking going from driving my 23' Tundra at night to the LC. Definitely needs something in the headlight department and HID retro doesnt seem all that expensive really.

This shouldn't be shocking as you are comparing lighting technology from 2006 to 2023. I would start from the bulb first then if that is not enough proceed with proper HID/LED retrofit with projector assembly.

This shouldn't be shocking as you are comparing lighting technology from 2006 to 2023. I would start from the bulb first then if that is not enough proceed with proper HID/LED retrofit with projector assembly.

Well for reference I also own a 93' Civic and my wife has an 06' WRX both of which have much better light output currently that the LC does

We installed the Depo headlights in my son’s 2000 LC a number of years ago, and while they’re not a HID retrofit, they have been much better than the aftermarket offerings for the LX….

Looks like quite a difference.
Did you get the plastic Depo one-piece lights or glass OEM style?

I wouldn't trust the stock wiring to handle anything above spec.

150W @ 13.7vdc is 11amp, no surge. Stock is 20 or so gauge wire from the relay/ main box, and stock 20 amp high beam and 10 amp low beam fuses.

200W gets you 14.5amp @ 13.7vdc. Wonder if the plastic would melt on the housings.

numbers above are combined. I do realize there's 4 relays per junction box. Just illustrating.

Last edited:
Is any wiring/fuse modification needed for 70W 100W halogens?

Pretty much all my Toyota's are running 100W low beam (Hella bulbs) on low and 90W on high beam for last 20+ years and so far things are holding up. For the LC, I used the high beam bulb: must cut the plastic tab located between the two wire pins on the base of the bulb to clip on to the lower beam wire plug.Stay with branded bulb names f you want the genuine wattage printed on the bulb. Rockauto has a good deal on Hella bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom