Delta VS Radius Arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That icon kit is it bit more than I think I need or would like to spend and I got about a dozen buddies that have had really bad luck with icon shocks and struts and all kinds of different vehicles.

I'm leaving dobinson unless anybody else has something to add?
Not sure if you have done the math, but if you are planning to purchase everything on your list, expect a cost not that far off from that. Never heard of any real complaints about Icon (though I'm sure theyre out there, they exist for nearly every product), Dobinson stuff is just fine though, I think with your list + Rear LCA's, you will be as set as you can expect to be.

I’m old school and will always stick with basic equipment. The yellow shocks from Dobinson are head and shoulders above OME Nitro shocks and cost $250/pair. When they die another set will go in. Off road for the majority who explore far and deep alone requires absolute simplicity.

That icon kit is it bit more than I think I need or would like to spend and I got about a dozen buddies that have had really bad luck with icon shocks and struts and all kinds of different vehicles.

I'm leaving dobinson unless anybody else has something to add?
What 3” dobinsons coils are you getting specifically? I swapped from Dobi 3” flexi to 3” tapered and gained 1” of lift, and 1” affects other suspension parts you may need to address.

I got tired of replacing caster bushings every 2 years so I finally went all in on my suspension setup a few months back. The cherry on top were the Delta arms for sure since they run factory bushings, have a bit more clearance at the axle bushings to flex and also plenty of clearance at the rear steering rod.

With the 3” tapered front coils and 24” hub to flare measurement, the 4” Delta arms gave me 3.6° of caster. Feels so stable barreling a tall heavy truck down a 4 lane windy mountain road with one finger on the wheel.

@Delta VS

You mentioned Heim joints earlier in this thread but I never saw them mentioned again. Would replacing the frame end bushing with a Heim joint give more flex?
What about Johnny Joints like this?

My issue is my friends budget built XJ just outflexed me on a ATI ramp last weekend so I need to get the most amount of flex I can without going linked. Im running 4” lift with caster plates on my HDJ81

View attachment 2126661

Years back I ran wristed front control arms from South Africa. Lots of tested showed the wristed arms did not help or hinder flex.

1584898983980.png

That's some OG go-fast stuff right there. What year was that?

2003-2004 The list of one offs is large...when was the last time you saw a full cage in an 80 :grinpimp: Art

driverseat.jpg

Hello, I just re-read this whole thread looking for how much more forward per lift on 2", 4" & 6" lift arms.
I do remember seeing it posted somewhere else but, I already spent 2 hours reading here.
Are they like 5/8" forward for 4" & 3/4" for 6" lift arms?
This info would be nice if it was posted on your website... I looked there before here.

Hello, I just re-read this whole thread looking for how much more forward per lift on 2", 4" & 6" lift arms.
I do remember seeing it posted somewhere else but, I already spent 2 hours reading here.
Are they like 5/8" forward for 4" & 3/4" for 6" lift arms?
This info would be nice if it was posted on your website... I looked there before here.
~ish, yes

Here is my input on these radius arms.

Vehicle: 1997 LX450
Suspension: 2.5” OME lift, heavy front, medium rear, with OME caster correction bushings
Wheel to fender measurements: 23.5” all wheels.
Caster measurements prior to Delta radius arm install: Left: -0.8 Right: -0.7
Caster measurements after Delta radius arm install: Left: +3.2 Right: +3.4
Delta Radius arms: 4-inch with Toyota OEM bushings installed

I bought and installed the 4-inch Delta high clearance caster correcting front radius arms. Install was very straight forward. Thanks to suggestions in prior posts in this thread, I used a ratchet strap and a jack to move the axle around in order to line up the holes, which worked great! My install time was about two hours, but it only took that long because I forgot that I needed to move a car from in front of my cruiser, and only realized my mistake after dropping one of the factory arms. So, I had to put it back together, pull it off the jack stands, shuffle cars and start again! Gotta love an idiot move like that! This is an easy after-work job in the driveway.

Some of the math related to this little project turned out a little odd. OME caster correction bushings supposedly correct 2 degrees. My caster with the caster correction bushings in the OEM radius arms was -0.8. The 4-inch Delta arms correct 8 degrees of caster. So, I would have expected my caster after install with OEM bushings to be roughly +5.2 degrees. The actual end result averages +3.3 degrees between both wheels.

Thanks to the Delta guys for recommending I go with the 4-inch arms.

Suspension: 2.5” OME lift, heavy front, medium rear, with OME caster correction bushings

I bought and installed the 4-inch Delta high clearance caster correcting front radius arms. Install was very straight forward. Thanks to suggestions in prior posts in this thread, I used a ratchet strap and a jack to move the axle around in order to line up the holes, which worked great! My install time was about two hours, but it only took that long because I forgot that I needed to move a car from in front of my cruiser, and only realized my mistake after dropping one of the factory arms. So, I had to put it back together, pull it off the jack stands, shuffle cars and start again! Gotta love an idiot move like that! This is an easy after-work job in the driveway.

Some of the math related to this little project turned out a little odd. OME caster correction bushings supposedly correct 2 degrees. My caster with the caster correction bushings in the OEM radius arms was -0.8. The 4-inch Delta arms correct 8 degrees of caster. So, I would have expected my caster after install with OEM bushings to be roughly +5.2 degrees. The actual end result averages +3.3 degrees between both wheels.

Very interesting, especially going from a negative to a positive caster. How would you say steering stability and tracking changed - if at all?

Very interesting, especially going from a negative to a positive caster. How would you say steering stability and tracking changed - if at all?

I really meant to include that! There is a dramatic improvement in steering and tracking. I did also install the Delta panhard lift bracket at the same time. Previously, the 80 liked to use the entirety of the lane at highways speeds with all of it’s wandering. I was constantly counter steering, which made long drives tiring. After installing the radius arms and panhard lift bracket, I drove 600 miles in one weekend, and the improvement was very noticeable. The wander was gone, and when I hit a big bump, I came down still tracking in the same direction with no immediate correcting steering input needed. I am very pleased with the results. I also like the solution of correcting with radius arms rather than cutting and welding plates to correct caster.

I really meant to include that! There is a dramatic improvement in steering and tracking. I did also install the Delta panhard lift bracket at the same time. Previously, the 80 liked to use the entirety of the lane at highways speeds with all of it’s wandering. I was constantly counter steering, which made long drives tiring. After installing the radius arms and panhard lift bracket, I drove 600 miles in one weekend, and the improvement was very noticeable. The wander was gone, and when I hit a big bump, I came down still tracking in the same direction with no immediate correcting steering input needed. I am very pleased with the results. I also like the solution of correcting with radius arms rather than cutting and welding plates to correct caster.
Thanks for that update. I have the same OME 2.5" lift with OME castors (I think) and no panhard lift correction bracket installed, yet (it's sitting in the part box). I always feel like I'm driving one of those Hollywood movie cars - constantly steering from left to right keeping the damn thing centered. I may have to put those radius arms on my shopping list.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting this. Ive been on the fence of which arms to buy.
Same exact lift. I was at only 2* of caster(low end of acceptable for stock) prior to lift and now its all over the place though I haven't had it remeasured yet.
I've been waiting to order til I get my 315s and some odds and ends but pretty confident in going with the 4" arms since I ended up more than 2" lifted. Going on a long trip in October and need to pull the trigger on the combo with a PLB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom