Debating with myself - keep the 80 series or move to 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congratulations @tominboise! Tune out some of the less intelligent comments here.

A few points:

• A 200 is only marginally larger than an 80 - 1.6" wider, same wheelbase
  • The build quality and intended life span of a 200 is vastly different than a Sequoia - check fastener quality and wiring harnesses for instance
  • 200s have been in service with NGOs the world over for over a decade now and are not showing any weaknesses

In short people have either unfounded fears in the platform or don't comprehend the value proposition of the 200 series.

PS. keep the 80 - they compliment one another nicely

24946871788_19fb0634fb_k.jpg

After selling my wife's old (long gone) 97, we bought an Audi Q7. ...and every time we passed an 80, she would have sellers remorse. Eventually we found the right truck (FZJ80, 1997) and sold the Audi. We looked briefly at the new LC's, even back to the 100 series. They just don't have the cool, old school look. I know they're slower and have more upkeep, but that's where we're at. If you like the 200, get it! Worst case you don't like it after a few years... sell it. Its just money. However, the 80's are going up in value, at least here in Colorado.

I can't believe nobody said this yet, but I want dibs on your LX when you decide to sell it ;)

Congratulations @tominboise! Tune out some of the less intelligent comments here.

A few points:

• The build quality and intended life span of a 200 is vastly different than a Sequoia - check fastener quality and wiring harnesses for instance
  • 200s have been in service with NGOs the world over for over a decade now and are not showing any weaknesses

In short people have either unfounded fears in the platform or don't comprehend the value proposition of the 200 series.

What's the difference between the wire harnesses and the fastener quality between the 200 and sequoia? Have you seen 5.7 Sequoia's have electrical problems or failure of the bolt hardware?

Have both and cant compare them. Maybe in 15 years the LX will see a trail but they both have different purposes. If you wheel the 80 I wouldn't replace it with a 200.

I think the 80 series will stay cheap for a few years so if you change your mind you can go back. The 200 seems to hold its value pretty well likely because of its low sales volume here. If Mr T offered a poverty pack here, I think many would change their tune about the 200. Properly built (with the same add on's that your 80 has) it will be a blast and look/feel awesome. I don't think I would give up my 80 for a 200 right now, but only because I am so far into mods that I would lose my arse on it. Someday, a built 200 will happen for me, I hope! Good score.

p.s @jonheld , I hope you find the old post about the 80 series, I would like to see it.

One of my most favorite sayings "The more things change, the more they stay the same".

I think the 80 series will stay cheap for a few years so if you change your mind you can go back. The 200 seems to hold its value pretty well likely because of its low sales volume here. If Mr T offered a poverty pack here, I think many would change their tune about the 200. Properly built (with the same add on's that your 80 has) it will be a blast and look/feel awesome. I don't think I would give up my 80 for a 200 right now, but only because I am so far into mods that I would lose my arse on it. Someday, a built 200 will happen for me, I hope! Good score.

p.s @jonheld , I hope you find the old post about the 80 series, I would like to see it.

One of my most favorite sayings "The more things change, the more they stay the same".

Bingo. The 200 is too country club for me. Give me a cloth option, without stupid nav, no moonroof, and I will think about it.

I sat at the dealership with my checkbook in hand ready to buy a used 2015 for the wife. Just couldn’t bring myself to do it. She drives an 80 instead. And loves it.

A few points:

I couldn't agree more. I'm new to an 80, very new. But after spending a couple of years on the 200 forum and seeing how much off-roading is done in them I feel like people in the 80's forum a biased without experience. The 200 is a freaking beast. The build quality is amazing.

I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed in the comments posted in this thread. Three years ago my son and I switched to the Toyota platform after years with Rovers and wheeling with our local TLCA chapter (TAC). We have built Mitch an incredible 3x locked LX450 that truly is a billy goat and will take us anywhere we ask it to go. Of late, we have discovered Overlanding and are putting our focus and resources to that sport rather than the rock climbing around here in the Midwest. On our last trip to Silverton/Ouray we were joined by a 100 and 200 which went up, down, and through every pass, river, obstacle, etc. that all the 80s conquered without any difficulties or challenges. To say that either the 200 or 100 aren't true Landcruisers is a little offensive but do agree that the 80's locked SAs can go places that the IFS 100/200 cannot.

I don't recall reading the OP's specific missions or terrain he intends to utilize his rig in so as far I know the 200 could be the perfect match for him and his family. Since our last trip to CO, I have built up a 100 to serve our purposes better in Overlanding knowing full well that it is not as capable as a locked 80 in extreme environments but it will provide a much more comfortable platform for our specific missions without sacrificing utility or obstacle clearance. I do agree that dimensionally the 100/200 platforms are considerably wider than the 80 not just on paper but also due the the 80's flares make the width comparison even more dramatic. With the flare width considered the 100/200 rigs will see side panel contact on narrow trails that the 80 might just graze a flare. With respect to weight, Mitch's 80 weighs 6,380 lbs as configured and our new 100 6,070 lbs but does not have a swing-out rear bumper, roof rack, belly armor or drawer system yet...both are heavy pigs compared to the Jeeps we wheel with around here. Build quality between the platforms has a lot more to do than simply the materials utilized. The engineering strides has placed each of these three generations in completely different universes. Where a 10 lb piece of cast iron thng-a-ma-jig was needed on an 80 and replaced by a paperclip on a newer rig doesn't necessarily call out a build quality issue. I have yet to identify a part on my 100 or my best friends 200 that doesn't appear to be engineered and built to outlast my ownership or for that matter any conceivable period of time but again, my mission with this platform isn't rock-crawling.

From a road/daily-driver stand point, I've yet to meet an 80 owner that finds it to be their dream rig...just acceptable. Yes it makes me smile when Mitch lets me drive his 80 and I do get a lot of attention but even with the Audi S5 seat swap and 4.88s w/ 35s its tiresome to be so limited on power. S/Cs, turbos & engine swaps help a lot and we have considered an LQ9 for his as our next project but it still will be an 80 at the end of the day on the street. We trailer Mitch's 80 to most destinations and the 100/200 makes driving 16hrs to CO to play a little more palatable and efficient. I like the idea of multiple cruisers for various missions but this is not always practical or possible for many of us. We have found ourselves in the situation of what to send Mitch away to college in this coming fall. He resisted the idea like most of the responders here about leaving the 80 for a newer generation but after driving the 100 for a three day weekend last week he has already asked if he can trade me when the time comes as it will perform commuting duties more comfortably. We find ourselves contemplating if we will return to rock crawling local on trails/parks or leave that permanently as we explore the country overlanding. Like the OP, we will keep both for now but likely we will sell the 80 as the practicality of keeping such a built rig to use a couple times a year really isn't fair to it as it should probably find a home that will use it for what it was built for.

At the end of the day, I'm a believer in buying and building a rig for your mission. I have a Swiss Army knife in my tool box but a I carry a single blade Kershaw in my pocket everyday...handles 99% of My needs for what I use it for.

IMG_5307.JPG

I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed in the comments posted in this thread. Three years ago my son and I switched to the Toyota platform after years with Rovers and wheeling with our local TLCA chapter (TAC). We have built Mitch an incredible 3x locked LX450 that truly is a billy goat and will take us anywhere we ask it to go. Of late, we have discovered Overlanding and are putting our focus and resources to that sport rather than the rock climbing around here in the Midwest. On our last trip to Silverton/Ouray we were joined by a 100 and 200 which went up, down, and through every pass, river, obstacle, etc. that all the 80s conquered without any difficulties or challenges. To say that either the 200 or 100 aren't true Landcruisers is a little offensive but do agree that the 80's locked SAs can go places that the IFS 100/200 cannot.

I don't recall reading the OP's specific missions or terrain he intends to utilize his rig in so as far I know the 200 could be the perfect match for him and his family. Since our last trip to CO, I have built up a 100 to serve our purposes better in Overlanding knowing full well that it is not as capable as a locked 80 in extreme environments but it will provide a much more comfortable platform for our specific missions without sacrificing utility or obstacle clearance. I do agree that dimensionally the 100/200 platforms are considerably wider than the 80 not just on paper but also due the the 80's flares make the width comparison even more dramatic. With the flare width considered the 100/200 rigs will see side panel contact on narrow trails that the 80 might just graze a flare. With respect to weight, Mitch's 80 weighs 6,380 lbs as configured and our new 100 6,070 lbs but does not have a swing-out rear bumper, roof rack, belly armor or drawer system yet...both are heavy pigs compared to the Jeeps we wheel with around here. Build quality between the platforms has a lot more to do than simply the materials utilized. The engineering strides has placed each of these three generations in completely different universes. Where a 10 lb piece of cast iron thng-a-ma-jig was needed on an 80 and replaced by a paperclip on a newer rig doesn't necessarily call out a build quality issue. I have yet to identify a part on my 100 or my best friends 200 that doesn't appear to be engineered and built to outlast my ownership or for that matter any conceivable period of time but again, my mission with this platform isn't rock-crawling.

From a road/daily-driver stand point, I've yet to meet an 80 owner that finds it to be their dream rig...just acceptable. Yes it makes me smile when Mitch lets me drive his 80 and I do get a lot of attention but even with the Audi S5 seat swap and 4.88s w/ 35s its tiresome to be so limited on power. S/Cs, turbos & engine swaps help a lot and we have considered an LQ9 for his as our next project but it still will be an 80 at the end of the day on the street. We trailer Mitch's 80 to most destinations and the 100/200 makes driving 16hrs to CO to play a little more palatable and efficient. I like the idea of multiple cruisers for various missions but this is not always practical or possible for many of us. We have found ourselves in the situation of what to send Mitch away to college in this coming fall. He resisted the idea like most of the responders here about leaving the 80 for a newer generation but after driving the 100 for a three day weekend last week he has already asked if he can trade me when the time comes as it will perform commuting duties more comfortably. We find ourselves contemplating if we will return to rock crawling local on trails/parks or leave that permanently as we explore the country overlanding. Like the OP, we will keep both for now but likely we will sell the 80 as the practicality of keeping such a built rig to use a couple times a year really isn't fair to it as it should probably find a home that will use it for what it was built for.

At the end of the day, I'm a believer in buying and building a rig for your mission. I have a Swiss Army knife in my tool box but a I carry a single blade Kershaw in my pocket everyday...handles 99% of My needs for what I use it for.

View attachment 1587164
Nicely stated and matches my thoughts almost to a Tee. I’ve had a lot of fun in my 80 and think they are an incredible rig. But after a week with the 200, it’s like night and day.

I had the same experience when I moved from my BMW airhead GS to a Triumph Tiger.

There shouldn't be a debate.

Go for the 200 if you can. It will be better in pretty much every aspect unless you're going to use it as a trail beater.
I did and so far its been really nice.

Doesn’t mean I don’t have a fond spot for 80 series and what they can do. I hope the next person who owns mine gets as many memories from it as I have.

From a pure practical reason, I would go with a 200 series. No questions asked, it is way better than the 80 other than just a few hard Jeep trails (even then the 80s are not best for them, get a Jeep). It is the most practical answer (maybe not financial), but as an overland vehicle, a 200 does it best. So yeah if you even remotely thought of switching to a 200, you've already made the decision even if you haven't realized it yet.

But as an emotional owner, I like the 80 because the newer car designs never worked for me, and love the mechanical feel to these trucks/cars of the 80s/90s. I am one of those, you can build the best truck ever, if it doesn't stir my blood at all -- i won't be buying it. A 200 is one like that for me, like i tell my friend who owns one, i respect it but I don't adore it.

My wife and I have debated replacing the 80 with a 2uz 4runner and just shugging off the inevitable body damage and plastic panel shenanigangs. For our purposes, the switch to a 200 would be a similar decision. Better power and road manners vs. something that will go anywhere and take whatever abuse you have in mind. I can see both sides of the coin, but we decided to commit to the 80 series. I have a different commuter car. If I could only have one vehicle, the decision probably would have gone the other way.

For me, the 200 is still too expensive to go out bashing into trees. Plus my wife thinks they look like minivans on steroids.

View attachment 1587164

Excellent point, and I agree the 200 is a great truck, and I want one. I can say though, that besides the mods everyone does to their 80, i.e. lift, tires, bumpers, etc. the two biggest things that have made my 80 shine are 2.5 shocks, and boost (SC with intercooler now, soon to be turbo). They make an 80 not like an 80. Enjoyed smoking an F150 whatever pickup this morning on the way to work, as a matter of fact. The thing just does everything I want, power, smoothness, capability, handling (Which is saying something for 4" of lift and 35" tires).

Totally agree on the boosted solution to wake up an 80. Made a huge difference in mine.

But even against the boosted engine, the 200 series makes ~130ish more horsepower, runs on regular, gets better fuel economy and I don’t have to stare at the temp gage or rebuild the cooling system every year or two.

Bingo. The 200 is too country club for me. Give me a cloth option, without stupid nav, no moonroof, and I will think about it.

I sat at the dealership with my checkbook in hand ready to buy a used 2015 for the wife. Just couldn’t bring myself to do it. She drives an 80 instead. And loves it.
Welcome to the addiction of land cruisers bro. Ive had one for a few years so I can say youre in for a fun ride!

I think alot of us have been in this position. I work across the road from a toyota dealership so i see these beasts sitting out the front in their glory everyday.
Often i drive past and say "yes please" and then i look at the ridiculous price tag. Same price tag the 80 use to carry in the 90s..

For me i just remind myself, "Why do i need a 200??" answer " I don't" and also the 80 is a fantastic car to do your own work on. I myself knew nothing of the mechanics of these cars 1 year ago, im not even a mechanic, but now i reckon i could attempt the fix on just about anything on these rigs, something you wouldnt dream of attempting on a 200 unless you were an accomplished mechanic or equivalent.

You can basically rebuild your 80 to a new vehicle without digging up the money required to buy a 200 and for me the 80 looks better than a 200 anyway. Get some nice aftermarket leather seats, put some new carpet in, rebuild the steering and axles , new suspension etc and give yourself some creature comfort. Heck go the whole yards and replace the engine with a turbo diesel to get the better mileage it will still be cheaper than a 200 that costs upto $100K

Just my thoughts, and i just talked myself into keeping the 80 over a 200 in the process haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom