Debating with myself - keep the 80 series or move to 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I find some of the comments on this thread pretty funny. I remember reading all the same things on the old LCML from the 40/60 Series crowd when the 80 Series was introduced. The same things from the 80 Series guys when the 100 was released, etc.

History repeats itself.

In fairness the 60 was the last of the truly utilitarian Land Cruisers. The 62 was the beginning of the Americanization. The 91-92 was even further Americanized. Then 93-94 and then lastly 95-97 was the last nail in the coffin for the utilitarian aspect of the Land Cruiser. After that it became a competitor of the Tahoe/Expedition/whatever POS American made SUV. The 100 still had the advantage of build quality over the American offerings but make no mistake, they lost their way. The 200 is an incredible vehicle but calling it a Land Cruiser is misleading. It's just "different".

Is the 200 a great vehicle? Yes. Incredible. I've come close to buying one twice. But make no mistake, it would never be to try to replace an actual Land Cruiser.

OP, Save yourself some $$$ and buy a Sequoia... :meh:

It all depends on the intended use 80 as a daily ride sucks!!! My 2016 Kia PIcanto does better than the 80 in the city, and my 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander is much better on long drives

But I wouldn't take them on a trail or into the deep desert

I daily my 80 about 35k miles per year. You couldn't get me to DD something else. The few times I drive my daughters Camry Hybrid make me want to jump off a cliff...

But make no mistake, it would never be to try to replace an actual Land Cruiser.
I'm going to have to do some serious searching, but this is EXACTLY what was said regarding the 80 Series.

I think it is unfair to compare a vehicle made in the Araco factory to a Sequoia made in the USA.

I'm going to have to do some serious searching, but this is EXACTLY what was said regarding the 80 Series.

I think it is unfair to compare a vehicle made in the Araco factory to a Sequoia made in the USA.

Oh, the build quality is far superior in a 200 than a Sequoia. I won't argue that. But TMC has strayed so far from the original intent of the Land Cruiser (at least in NA) that it is impossible to compare anything after 1998 with 1997 and back.

Are the 200 excellent quality vehicles? Without a doubt. Are they utilitarian and meant to "go anywhere"? No.

Now, if the choice was to get a new 70 series then I would be willing to hear that argument...

97 LX450 w/ lockers, CDL Switch, Pin 7 mod, high spare mod; OME 1" Lift, BIOR winch bumper, TRD S/C, 169k & counting

Hm... I would be inclined to keep this one, but maybe you're like my friend who prefers newer vehicles... I'm sure the 200 is better in every measurable aspect besides hardcore wheeling. Interestingly though I don't think I've ever seen a 200 not being driven by a middle aged white woman (not implying anything, just saying), at least around here, maybe there's some stigma attached to them. I'm not convinced they are "cool" yet.

Well, I pulled the trigger this AM and now own two landcruisers. Short term plan is to keep both and see how it works out. Will be doing lift/tires/armor on the 200 and taking it to Moab. It might be towing my 80 there.

Well, I pulled the trigger this AM and now own two landcruisers. Short term plan is to keep both and see how it works out. Will be doing lift/tires/armor on the 200 and taking it to Moab. It might be towing my 80 there.

Well that was fast! Only let the decision marinate for 14 hrs.

I think they are two different vehicles, one is great for star bucks the other is utilitarian, I DD my cruiser I am not a car guy I do not want a princess comfy SUV it defeats the purpose of being a Sport Utility Vehicle, keep thew 80 and if you need the girly rig that is on you :eek:

I would say the sequoia and 200 are very similar in build quality. They are almost the same vehicle. One just has a more tundra looking body and ifs rear suspension. I don't know why Toyota builds the two vehicles. Seems like they compete with one another in sales. The Sequoia is a very trouble free vehicle, and used 5.7 ones go for pretty cheap and come with a lot of luxury items.

Well that was fast! Only let the decision marinate for 14 hrs.

Unfortuately, low mileage 200's for a reasonable price are a rare bird around here. I had to beat several other buyers to get it. Good news is that if I decide to sell it, I shouldn't have much trouble doing so and getting most of my money back.

I think they are two different vehicles, one is great for star bucks the other is utilitarian, I DD my cruiser I am not a car guy I do not want a princess comfy SUV it defeats the purpose of being a Sport Utility Vehicle, keep thew 80 and if you need the girly rig that is on you :eek:

It's on me, then....:lol: Still have the 80 and if I play my cards right will keep both.

How many cup holders does it have?!?!

In general, if you're even seriously considering giving up an 80 for a 200, do the 80 a favor and sell it to someone who will use it.

It's only fair to the 80 that it be used like it's supposed to be used. Anyone who thinks a 200 can do what am 80 does for them, isn't using the 80 right.

I find some of the comments on this thread pretty funny. I remember reading all the same things on the old LCML from the 40/60 Series crowd when the 80 Series was introduced. The same things from the 80 Series guys when the 100 was released, etc.

Don't forget that the 200 weighs 600 lbs more and is 6" wider and 6" longer. At a certain point it's just too big to be an offroad machine and is better suited to ripping sand dunes which is where 90% of buyers use them. They are built for the Middle East market exclusively where I'm sure they excel.

Sure the 200 can do harder trails in NA, but look at the field serviceability aspect if something were to go wrong.... Full floaters? CV interchangeable? Rear axle bearings? Front Diff? You're screwed. Same with the UZJ100. Now, an HDJ105? Yup. HDJ205? Nope - guess it's not viable to produce anymore. You will see the 80 Series prices soar.....

It is 1.5" wider and the same wheel base as the 80 series. Longer overhangs but I'll fix that with bumpers, tires and a mild lift.

I'm not going overlanding with either rig. We explore the mountains of Idaho, Utah, Nevada and go to Moab once a year, where we run on class 3 and 4 trails. The other 50 weeks of the year it drives back and forth to the office, store, second home, desert shooting range, boat ramp, etc.

It is 1.5" wider and the same wheel base as the 80 series. Longer overhangs but I'll fix that with bumpers, tires and a mild lift.

I'm not going overlanding with either rig. We explore the mountains of Idaho, Utah, Nevada and go to Moab once a year, where we run on class 3 and 4 trails. The other 50 weeks of the year it drives back and forth to the office, store, second home, desert shooting range, boat ramp, etc.

You forgot Starbucks! :deadhorse:

Sounds like a perfect rig for you! While I agree that the 200 is more Tahoe-ish it still looks better and performs better off road than any luxury suv on the market

The 200 series is 1500lbs heavier than a 80 series(4500lbs vs 6000lbs). As far as width, typically specs for 80 series width include the 3" wide fender flares. The 200 has no flares. I think the axle width is around 69" wms to wms. The 80 is 63". Hp/pound the 200 has.063hp/lb the 80 has.046. The 200 has significantly greater towing capacity.

Congrats! I'd love to have both, but the wife says no more Land Cruisers (for now).

Saw a few at Cruise Moab this year with lift, bumpers, etc. and they did not seem too big or out of place there. Maybe, they won't excel on a trail like the Rubicon, but I think they'd be great for 90% of what most 80 series owners run with their trucks anyways.

Think I'll just wait 17 more years and try to import one from down under with the 1VD-FTV V8 Diesel.

Has a 200 made it through the Rubicon yet? I'd search, but i'm lazy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom