Debating with myself - keep the 80 series or move to 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My current 1997 LX450 has 170k miles on it. Triple locked, BIOR front bumper and new winch, OME stock height lift kit, new head rebuild with new head gasket and new TRD S/C 5k ago. Owned it for 13 years.

Have been bitten by the 200 series bug and am debating on selling my '80 series and buying a 2008 200 series I found, with 70k miles. Rig is pristine inside and out.

My 80 needs some of the usual work - seat belts barely retract, front leather seats need recovered and power seat switch needs replaced, windows are super slow up and down, has some areas that could stand painting. Needs a front axle seal replacement too.

Drove the 200 series tonight and it was like stepping into a time warp from the 80 series. Just not sure I want to exchange solid locked axles for the newer technology. But I think I could get pretty good money for the 80 series given the history I have with it and the stack of receipts I have for all the work I've done to the rig. And the way it runs.

But the 200 series has 120 more hp, gets better fuel economy by a couple of MPG and runs on regular gas. But I don't drive over 10k miles a year on the rig, so don't know that matters all that much.l

Thanks for reading my rambling.

The 200 will go everywhere your 80 will, do it with ease, and comfort! The grass is greener! Maintenance is completely different too! Go for it, you deserve something new after 13 years!

I like the 200, but they are in that price range that would hurt me if I scratched it. The 80 on the other hand might make me cringe a bit, but I almost feel pride, when I scratch or pinstripe it. I like that feeling. I feel the same way with my Old Dodge. But having all the nice luxury is also sweet. I guess if you dont use it on tight trails and places where some road rash cant be avoided I say go for it.

I’ve had that same conversation with myself. Maybe I’ll hold out for a used 300 series...if I like the looks better.

I think there was a thread on this very subject just a few weeks ago, plus more before that if you do a search.

Just added a 200 to the stable. The 80 has sentimental value and isn't going anywhere - but the 200 is the right sled if you can only have one vehicle. FWIW the 100 series never did anything for me. Oh and the 200 has 170K miles and is still tight, squeak free and hauls.

The 200 will go everywhere your 80 will, do it with ease, and comfort! The grass is greener! Maintenance is completely different too! Go for it, you deserve something new after 13 years!

You must be joking? Yap 200 will take you to the mall and back and or to the pharmacy to buy your hemorrhoid ointment

200 is just another SUV with front IFS

The only thing that can compete with 80 are WK (old) LR defender or Robicon

I disagree that the 200 can go anywhere a 80 can go. 200s are big and heavy, weight and size offroad is a killer. Also, while the 200 is more powerful, it's also more heavy. So what matters is not total hp, but rather hp per pound ratio. I have worked on a lot of 200s, and a lot of tundra trucks. The 5.7 is a good motor. But it can only be taken so far within reason due to how complicated Toyota has made the 5.7. The 200 is luxurious and safe with about every corner of it having a air bag along with fancy traction control. The decision is up to u, neither is bad. I could have bought a 200, but they bore me. I have wheeled with 100 series rigs, and they are like trying to get a whale down the trail. A 200 series would be even tougher.

Have been bitten by the 200 series bug and am debating on selling my '80 series and buying a 2008 200 series I found, with 70k miles. Rig is pristine inside and out.

Keep your 80. A 200 offroad would be like "somebody call Greenpeace! There's a beached whale!!!"

Plus 200 owners usually own another REAL Cruiser to prove they still have cajones, or at least street cred

Last edited:
Former 200 owner and it just didn't do it for me, the drivetrain is fantastic, but I found The rest of the experience to be numb and bland. I went back to a 100.

The only thing that can compete with 80 are WK (old) LR defender or Robicon
Don't forget about the G Wagon.... which, given the choice, I'd take over a 200. Ya right - if I'm dreaming - I'll take a HDJ80, HDJ79 and a BJ42! Forget "sophisticated"

Last edited:
Be honest with yourself about your use and it should be pretty easy to answer....

With that said it’s not always just about practicality and sometimes you just want what you want. For 90% of us the 80 is just a want not a necessity.

I find some of the comments on this thread pretty funny. I remember reading all the same things on the old LCML from the 40/60 Series crowd when the 80 Series was introduced. The same things from the 80 Series guys when the 100 was released, etc.

History repeats itself.

Last edited:
Every generation gets better in a different way but loses a bit of "soul" in my opinion.

I am still amazed that every newer model has more power and better mileage. At least that is what I have experienced.

If you are purely into offroad stuff the 80 is the answer. If you are taking long trips with gear or multiple folks nothing beats a 200. Plus it will go just about anywhere an 80 will. You can hear all the beached whale comments but I have taken mine places that folks are amazed. It is a great off road truck.

I use my 80 for most of my driving but for longer trips with my kids and gear the 200 is an amazing ride. I am fortunate as well as my wife is perfectly content driving the 100 and that is great for trips as well. I do also feel that if I get in a crash my family likely would fare better in my 200 than my 80 as technology has come a long way in that time.

We will see over the long haul but my 80 still has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am scared by all the technology in the 200 that can break. Granted none of it has yet.

Good luck you have a great vehicle either way.

It all depends on the intended use 80 as a daily ride sucks!!! My 2016 Kia PIcanto does better than the 80 in the city, and my 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander is much better on long drives

But I wouldn't take them on a trail or into the deep desert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom