Builds Daughter of Rigger's 2000 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a front axle rebuild kit and a set of front brake pads. I have a local mechanic at the dealership that helps me maintain my fleet. He did a front axle rebuild. Seals, bearings, and new lube. Installed the brake pads and turned the rotors.

The service manager said he thought the starter was going bad. I got a new starter and set out this morning to install it. The truck had been sitting for a few weeks and now the battery is dead. The battery is new; only a few months old. I jump started it.

I’m wondering now if there’s a parasitic drain on the battery that causes the truck to act like it needs a new starter. The starter in the truck looks pretty new. It’s still shiny in fact.

A common Issue with the dead Battery is the driver door, when you open it lights up the ring around the ignition. The switch that operates this is in the door jam it gets out of adjustment and even with the door fully closed the light dose not turn off. in the short run not a problem let it sit a few weeks = dead battery
For mine I just moved the door catch in a bit to make the door close tighter. ;)

I pulled the starter motor. I'll put the new one in. I think I'll get the correct battery put in it.

I'll also look into this driver door issue. Maybe that's what I have going on.

Thanks @brosky

One more thing when you get the right battery it be best to replace the fusible links. I would not want to have a issue with them when you daughter is driving the Reg.

I pulled the starter motor. I'll put the new one in. I think I'll get the correct battery put in it.

Thanks @brosky

I don't care what these guy's said, that is a perfect 1st vehicle for your daughter, you live where you get some winters, and that is a great vehicle, one thing that draws a lot of the power is the alarm system under the driver side seat, you need to remove the kick panel and the knee bolster and follow the wiring you will see the obvious wiring for it and the black box under the seat.

Thanks @brosky

There is also the light retainer relay which controls the timeout for light around the ignition switch. Even if the light does not stay illuminated it can drain the battery. The module is located in the right kick panel. There is a good thread you can search for more info.

Thanks for these tips. I hope I can find and disconnect whatever might be draining the battery.

Tugging at my heart strings...

One of the greatest moments of my life was teaching my girl to drive the "s***bucket" (20r + 5 speed pickup). She's 24 now 🍺

Been a few months. The 80 has been resting, mostly.

I have an opportunity to buy a nice hood from a ‘97 80-series. Will it fit our ‘94?

I appreciate any help.

All 80/LX450 hoods are interchangeable.

it's the right truck for the daughter, although the result may not please the father: woman in an 80 is a total dude-magnet - there isn't a single gas fill-up that dudes don't come up to talk when I take the 80 or the LX :grinpimp: :flamingo:

Our 80 had a bad day yesterday.

72672520-9300-4E11-BCD6-62F04B7711A1.jpeg

If anyone has had similar and done a backyard repair, how’d it go?

I'm not able to see too much, but I'm thinking fender apron, fender, hood, radiator support, hood, and whatever mechanical. I replaced my fender apron, and radiator support because it was a hacked repair years ago. I got the parts from Jim's Yoda Yard in Denver for a reasonable price. They were the same color so that helped. It's not a bad job at all.

20190108_090001.jpg

Are the parts welded in? Or bolted in?

20181230_192009.jpg

20190121_142037.jpg

Are the parts welded in? Or bolted in?
Its all bolted in. I just hope your cab isn't bent or tweaked because these parts feed off that.

Thanks for this info. My son worked on his old 4Runner and it had a bunch of welded in stuff. Maybe this 80 will be easier.

You are very welcome. I hope everybody is okay. I hope you get her back up and going!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom