Builds Daughter of Rigger's 2000 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
Below is the original thread - which, after the wreck, becomes a 4Runner thread, so I am moving it here. I'll update and add to this thread, rather than starting a new one. We'll see how it goes.

===

Channeling @Romer with my thread title. :)

Picked up an 80 series for my daughter. I don't know a great deal about these trucks, but this one looked okay for a new driver.

1994 model with 238,000 miles. A few bumps and bruises, but mostly solid I think. A few surprises, too. But we'll see what this journey brings.

I'll get some pics up in a moment . . . . . . .

88030749-A5B6-49C5-8DEA-82C2D99915D5.jpeg
DA3F5E48-D405-4036-A86F-338964EF41A2.jpeg

Last edited:
Immediate plans:
Clean & detail, especially interior.
Fix ill-fitting hood and get hood latch to work correct.
Change fluids.
Teach Stacey to drive.

;)

I'm a firm believer in power washing the carpet. It makes the entire inside feel like new again! You would be surprised how easy it is to do and how many old cleaners have been used and never extracted from the carpet over 25 years. Imagine shampooing your hair and never rinsing it! The carpet comes out soft and like new!

20190516_123305.jpg

20190516_142521.jpg

20190518_141536.jpg

Went out for some driving on her learner permit. Got a little friendly with some trees on a turn but otherwise she did okay. Found a rattle underneath the truck. Exhaust heat shield bolts were rusted away. Threw on a few screws. Might hold it okay for a bit.

Went out for some driving on her learner permit. Got a little friendly with some trees on a turn but otherwise she did okay. Found a rattle underneath the truck. Exhaust heat shield bolts were rusted away. Threw on a few screws. Might hold it okay for a bit.
Great job, she looks like a happy camper. Nice work. :clap: :steer:

I'm a firm believer in power washing the carpet. It makes the entire inside feel like new again! You would be surprised how easy it is to do and how many old cleaners have been used and never extracted from the carpet over 25 years. Imagine shampooing your hair and never rinsing it! The carpet comes out soft and like new!

View attachment 1981102

View attachment 1981107

View attachment 1981108
agree with you on this, it's amazing the amount of crud that comes off with some good degreaser, a brush and a powerwasher. I have had to be careful in the past as the carpet can come apart if using too high a setting. Sometimes just a hose works better with a little brushing

We cleaned out the interior, cleaned the seats, vacuumed, and cleaned the windows.

My buddy Pat got the hood straightened up and working.

Ordered a new driver exterior door handle; should be here this week.

It's a quart low on oil, so gotta add - maybe I'll just change the oil and start fresh.

An 80 series should never be a starter car. They're becoming more and more difficult to find not all clapped out. A proper starter car is a late 80s early 90s honda civic or if you want sturdy...1978 monte carlo was mine, Lol. No tears shed when those things go to the great scrap heap beyond.

. I could not disagree with Landcruisinmy93 strong enough. Rigger keep on keeping on!! Your beautiful daughter will grow up WAY quick. The relationship between a father and daughter at this age is so damn important. To teach her what you are teaching her is priceless. No University at any cost could give a course on this type of bonding,love,knowledge,and pride. I wish you and your daughter all the luck in the world.
As a man with two grow daughters I will say, I envy you.

9E9D067C-CB56-4D02-8A96-1BDA603BAD74.jpeg

The kids gave it a bath. Also, I replaced the drivers door handle.

The front brake pads are really thin so need to address that.

04465-60020:)

Pulled it in the garage. Most important mod of all:

56D211CE-5F6C-4D86-A241-20BCB94402B6.jpeg

I bought a front axle rebuild kit and a set of front brake pads. I have a local mechanic at the dealership that helps me maintain my fleet. He did a front axle rebuild. Seals, bearings, and new lube. Installed the brake pads and turned the rotors.

The service manager said he thought the starter was going bad. I got a new starter and set out this morning to install it. The truck had been sitting for a few weeks and now the battery is dead. The battery is new; only a few months old. I jump started it.

I’m wondering now if there’s a parasitic drain on the battery that causes the truck to act like it needs a new starter. The starter in the truck looks pretty new. It’s still shiny in fact.

Amazed at how much stuff is attached to the positive side of the battery.

39A54768-CEF7-405B-9496-E5C2B116B5E6.jpeg
319A5310-CDC8-4105-88AD-BA3D52CBBCBB.jpeg
0934A0FF-F66F-4863-A2F3-9E0D79C68C97.jpeg

From the factory there is one large battery cable and three smaller fusible links. Anything else has been added. The fusible links are the two wires going into the little black plastic box and the third is the light cowered connector you see through the opening of the battery box. From the factory the big hole in the battery box has a protective rubber grommet which is missing in your picture. The battery is not the proper battery. The original battery was a Group 27F which would have the positive battery post close to the large hole in the battery box. The current battery has the battery post closest to the front of the vehicle. The battery should be a either Group 27F or 34R for the proper fit. Because the wrong battery was used those cables/wires have to be stretched across the battery potentially causing problems, required removing the grommet which means the fusible links can suffer from abrasion and fail.

Wow. I’m getting some education here. Thank you. I see what you mean.

The PO installed this battery shortly before he sold the truck to me. He clearly did not know what he was doing. Nor would I have until I read your post.

I think that one single wire is for an aftermarket radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom