Dark Gray Roll Bar Factory Color Code ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
marcstpierrephotography.com
Hey y'all :

Do any of us here know of the actual color code of the 79-84 dark, bluish-gray roll bar ?

I'm aware of a Toyota Gray (T450), but am believing T450 is the lighter gray used on the wheels & seat frames. The roll bar is significantly darker (as shown here, below).

I'm also aware that Rustoleum has a rattle-can spray paint of Dark Gray, which is glossy. But although it's close, that also is not it (is not the industrial bluish hue of the roll bar - and is not a durable paint, even with a clear coat over it. It'll easily scratch & will fade from the UV of the sun).

Does anyone know ? . . . Or has anyone been successful in very closely reproducing the OEM roll bar color with a heavy-duty, industrial-grade coating ??

As a side benefit, if I & we can learn of the actual color code, we'll make it more easily searchable here, on this board - as lots of us peeps R champin' at the bit 2 kno.

However, If no one knows, I suppose it'll therefore be best to take the bluish-gray T450 & add a few ounces of black to it.

ayr.jpg

Thanks !!
~Skydogger

Last edited:
Hey y'all :

Do any of us here know of the actual color code of the 79-84 dark, bluish-gray roll bar ?

I'm aware of a Toyota Gray (T450), but am believing T450 is the lighter gray used on the wheels & seat frames. The roll bar is significantly darker (as shown here, below).

I'm also aware that Rustoleum has a rattle-can spray paint of Dark Gray, which is glossy. But although it's close, that also is not it (is not the industrial bluish hue of the roll bar - and is not a durable paint, even with a clear coat over it. It'll easily scratch & will fade from the UV of the sun).

Does anyone know ? . . . Or has anyone been successful in very closely reproducing the OEM roll bar color with a heavy-duty, industrial-grade coating ??

As a side benefit, if I & we can learn of the actual color code, we'll make it more easily searchable here, on this board - as lots of us peeps R champin' at the bit 2 kno.

However, If no one knows, I suppose it'll therefore be best to take the bluish-gray T450 & add a few ounces of black to it.

View attachment 2002782

Thanks !!
~Skydogger

My painters matched to the window crank in our 72 and it looks pretty close.

4382E390-3555-4E5D-B882-048C668FE421.jpeg

My painters matched to the window crank in our 72 and it looks pretty close.

View attachment 2002815
@Jdc1 : your wheel does indeed look good. Really good ! (your Rustic Green looks awesomeness too)

The gray color of your wheen is more closely in line with the window crank, seat backing & seat structure, and perhaps other miscellaneous grays used throughout the vehicle. The gray on the roll bar on the 1979-84 - is different. It's significantly darker of a gray. . . . I'm searching to learn of the specific gray on the roll bar - which is unlike the other grays within the vehicle.

Appreciate your chiming-in though.
Thanks.

@Jdc1 : your wheel does indeed look good. Really good ! (your Rustic Green looks awesomeness too)

The gray color of your wheen is more closely in line with the window crank, seat backing & seat structure, and perhaps other miscellaneous grays used throughout the vehicle. The gray on the roll bar on the 1979-84 - is different. It's significantly darker of a gray. . . . I'm searching to learn of the specific gray on the roll bar - which is unlike the other grays within the vehicle.

Appreciate your chiming-in though.
Thanks.

I’m seeing it now. I’ve been trying to teach myself how to see the details in the colors but unfortunately I think it’s a talent I’ll have to leave to the experts.

I like that color. Correct for mine or not. Any chance you could provide the paint code info. I will try and get a powder coat color to match it.

Unfortunately there isn’t a formula, they mixed by hand. If you have an old style window crank it’s the same color as the plastic piece.

Bumping an old thread as I debate the color to paint my MetalTech family cage.

I think the T450 gray is the correct color for 79+ FJ40 roll cages. This is a complete untouched original.
IMG_8686.jpeg
IMG_8687.jpeg

Here is a picture of my 79’ Roll Bar and the jump seat base.

pulled apart the OEM seats a week ago to begin that restoration - I am going to powder it all (jump seat frame, roll bar, and front seat back in "Traffic Gray B" - it is close - hard to tell in the shade, and can see some difference in the sun. I figure most of it future live will inside the cab. I think the RAW code is 7043 for powder. It is the lower sample

The PO painted the jump seat frames a different gray - It will all be consistent. Going to drop the parts off most likely on Tuesday.

IMG_0685.jpg

I agree, all the gray parts the same gray and the lower chip will be about perfect.

Thanks for the code, it is easier than taking a part in to scan!!!

Last edited:
I agree, all the gray parts the same gray and the lower chip will be about perfect.

Thanks for the code, it is easier than taking a part in to scan!!!
I'll post the results after powder. and take a picture of in in shade pre-powder - I thought I had one.

Mine either sun-bleached differently or they were originally slightly different gray from the factory. I have this story in my head that the seat backs, roll bar, rear latch cover were probably all produced by different (outsourced) supporters of toyota. I ended up making them all the same gray as the wheels....but I'm pretty sure thats not the perfect answer.....but there may be no perfect answer.

Update to post #11 - Dropped stuff off at powder today.

IMG_0971.jpeg

I'm going with Traffic Grey B (RAL 7043). - Here is a pict with inside light with the powder chip, seat back, & roll bar bracket. Will show pict when done (for what that is worth).

IMG_0985.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom