Cranks and Cranks and won’t start.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have a 1991 land cruiser with about 147,000 miles. I usually drive it about once a week recently it was sitting for about 10 days before I could get a chance to start it. Before it sat for 10 days it was driving just fine. I went to start it, but it kept cranking over and over… like it’s not getting fuel it won’t fire up….

So my question is what would be the first step in trying to diagnose it myself I know there’s a lot of possibilities maybe someone could give me the most common problems to start any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I read an article where someone said to make sure the check engine light is ON on the DashBoard. Mine is on. Should I still swap out the EFI relay?

Does it have fuel in the tank? I'm not trying to be cute - I'm trying to help. If someone siphoned out your tank, or you have a fuel tank leak, it would certainly crank and not start. Check the gauge.

Start with the simple things first. "It ran when I parked it" is a meme for a reason...

Hey guys, I have a 1991 land cruiser with about 147,000 miles. I usually drive it about once a week recently it was sitting for about 10 days before I could get a chance to start it. Before it sat for 10 days it was driving just fine. I went to start it, but it kept cranking over and over… like it’s not getting fuel it won’t fire up….

So my question is what would be the first step in trying to diagnose it myself I know there’s a lot of possibilities maybe someone could give me the most common problems to start any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I read an article where someone said to make sure the check engine light is ON on the DashBoard. Mine is on. Should I still swap out the EFI relay?
Start with this document. Please read through the entire pdf.

No. Check to see if you're getting spark first. There is a cheap tool you can attach to a spark plug if you want to play it safe.
If spark is present, check for fuel delivery.
I went through this problem the past summer on my 4.5 equipped 80. Problem was the fuel pump. If yours is original its death wouldn't be a surprise.

No. Check to see if you're getting spark first. There is a cheap tool you can attach to a spark plug if you want to play it safe.
If spark is present, check for fuel delivery.
I went through this problem the past summer on my 4.5 equipped 80. Problem was the fuel pump. If yours is original its death wouldn't be a surprise.
Yeah, I’m kind of leaning towards the fuel pump. Which tool would you recommend for that particular task?

And then if we need to replace the fuel pump, should I look for an OEM? Anyone have any recommendations?

Most everyone would suggest OEM, although I didn't go that route. They are guaranteed to fit perfectly and are of top quality.
Google how to check fuel pressure. There's a tool for this purpose. A simpler way is to crack a fuel line under the hood and crank. Just be careful! Don't want to start a fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom