Crank / No start/ smell fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How’s it going.
I got a 91 fj80 and it’s not starting. The lights turn on and it cranks but won’t start up I changed the EFI relay and still nothing. I checked the fusible link and replaced it still no start up. The CEL is on and i smell has when I crank it. Any advice? Before the problem I noticed that it had a high rpm when start up but went down. Also on hot days it took a sec to start up but when cold it starts instantly and when it idles the rpm fluctuates. Any advice really need help?

A basic beginning is verifying Fuel, Air, and Spark are present in the combustion chambers. Figure out which is missing and you have narrowed down the possibilities tremendously and can then dig deeper into that particular system.

How’s it going.
I got a 91 fj80 and it’s not starting. The lights turn on and it cranks but won’t start up I changed the EFI relay and still nothing. I checked the fusible link and replaced it still no start up. The CEL is on and i smell has when I crank it. Any advice? Before the problem I noticed that it had a high rpm when start up but went down. Also on hot days it took a sec to start up but when cold it starts instantly and when it idles the rpm fluctuates. Any advice really need help?
What topics have you searched and what - beyond what you mentioned - have you troubleshot (troubleshooted?)
CEL on with key in, turned to ACC, is good.
"Fuel smell on crank" lacks context. Is this unusual? Ever smelled it before, regardless what you or the truck is doing at that same time?
High RPM at start is normal...usually. You mention it as if it isn't usual. What is normal?
"RPM fluctuates" ... again, lacks context. Assuming this is a new thing relative to your time in ownership.
Details, man!
lol
They make all the difference. To the extent the 3FE experts will respond.

What topics have you searched and what - beyond what you mentioned - have you troubleshot (troubleshooted?)
CEL on with key in, turned to ACC, is good.
"Fuel smell on crank" lacks context. Is this unusual? Ever smelled it before, regardless what you or the truck is doing at that same time?
High RPM at start is normal...usually. You mention it as if it isn't usual. What is normal?
"RPM fluctuates" ... again, lacks context. Assuming this is a new thing relative to your time in ownership.
Details, man!
lol
They make all the difference. To the extent the 3FE experts will respond.
I have troubleshooted anything yet I’m doing that today, CEL is on when key turned all the way in the ignition, and the smell hasn’t always existed I started noticing when the problem started when I was cranking it over to try and start it, and the rpm goes up and down ever so slightly when I come to a stop and let it idle, I’ve had the truck for a about 8 months now and just hit 200k on it.

You don't sound like a car guy (yet) no offence intended.

Do you know any car people, that would be willing to help you learn and have some tools.

You should have them show you how to change the oils, filters: air, oil, tranny, fuel. A new set of spark plugs would be nice. You could a compression check too at the same time. Maybe they have good code reader (several 100 dollars) not a 29.95 unit, that will help look at all computer controlled systems.

Maybe they have good code reader (several 100 dollars) not a 29.95 unit, that will help look at all computer controlled systems.
'91 is OBD1 so the code reader is the owner. lol
The CEL flashes out the code numbers.
Jumper between two pins I can't recall at the moment at the diagnostic port in the engine bay. TE1 - E1 or some such. A quick search will bring up the process. 👍

I have troubleshooted anything yet I’m doing that today, CEL is on when key turned all the way in the ignition, and the smell hasn’t always existed I started noticing when the problem started when I was cranking it over to try and start it, and the rpm goes up and down ever so slightly when I come to a stop and let it idle, I’ve had the truck for a about 8 months now and just hit 200k on it.
First thing to do is check the intake tube for cracks. Any unmetered air getting into the system will play havoc with your idle. This includes the gasket on the oil fill cap, oil dipstick, valve cover grommets, etc. The top half of this motor wants to be air tight.

1701005308165.png

1701005324224.png

'91 is OBD1 so the code reader is the owner. lol
The CEL flashes out the code numbers.
Jumper between two pins I can't recall at the moment at the diagnostic port in the engine bay. TE1 - E1 or some such. A quick search will bring up the process. 👍
I tried the paper clip it didn’t work so I got a obd1-obd2 scanner and I’m waiting on a 17 pin connection to diagnose the car

You don't sound like a car guy (yet) no offence intended.

Do you know any car people, that would be willing to help you learn and have some tools.

You should have them show you how to change the oils, filters: air, oil, tranny, fuel. A new set of spark plugs would be nice. You could a compression check too at the same time. Maybe they have good code reader (several 100 dollars) not a 29.95 unit, that will help look at all computer controlled systems.
I just replaced the fuel pump fuel filter and all the spark plugs and wires and the distributor cap and rotor still nothing

There is a reason that nothing I own, has a computer port or fuel injection. I also don't own an automatic as I can tell what gear to be in. Clutch Millennial Resistant.

Just a thought - just because you bought and installed new stuff doesn't mean it works - they sell bad stuff all the time.

Pull the boot on one spark plug, stick it on a free spark plug grounded right to the block, crank the engine and see what color the spark is - blue/white is good

Just a thought - just because you bought and installed new stuff doesn't mean it works - they sell bad stuff all the time.

Pull the boot on one spark plug, stick it on a free spark plug grounded right to the block, crank the engine and see what color the spark is - blue/white is good
Got any more advice

I'm having trouble following this. In your first post you said that it doesn't start. Then you said that the idle fluctuates. Which is it? Does this engine run or not?

I just replaced the fuel pump fuel filter and all the spark plugs and wires and the distributor cap and rotor still nothing
Did you use OEM parts or aftermarket? The 3FE hates aftermarket ignition parts and will spit them out.

It does not I was stating things that happened before it stopped working
Verify fuel and spark. I'm betting on spark missing.
Slightly crack open the banjo bolt on the cold start injector (CSI). The CSI is located on the top left of the intake. While cranking the starter, you should get fuel spraying out.
1701113174268.png

Check for spark by pulling a spark plug wire and, using a new or old spark plug, attach the wire to the plug and ground the threaded section of the plug against the lifting bracket on top of the intake or any other hard metal part.

This will determine the next step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom