Cowl part# help please, for the passenger foot well leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2008 has the footwell leak. My weather-strip fix only worked for a while and I'm finally ready to give in and get the replacement cowl.

There are numerous different part numbers quoted in the various posts. Part # 55708-60091 is much cheaper than 55708-60101. I've seen conflicting citations for which one is "cold spec" and which one is not. But I don't know what "cold spec" is referring to.

How did you guys figure out which one to buy? What is the "cold spec"?

Thanks for your help!

-Mark

Last edited:
2008 cruiser lists two part numbers, as you said with cold spec being the differentiator.

The way to be truly sure is to pull yours and get the part number off it.. since you've had it out already this shouldn't be super difficult. Given the substantial cost I'd just do that.. unless someone chimes in with exactly what cold spec is.

My gut tells me most US cruisers have the cold package since windshield wiper heaters and heated mirrors were standard equipment. Also the PTC heater, if I remember correctly.

They seem to have a bunch of different part numbers on the cowl…

I have a new in box LC cowl for sale in the classifieds.

The cowl has the part numbers molded into it, both the LX and LC part numbers in addition to the Aisin PNs are printed. I guess they are all the same, the LC part appears to be more expensive for the same exact piece. I could not find the difference between the cold weather version and the standard version. I thought perhaps the wiper heater wires which come out below the windshield there maybe a cutout for it? The only hint given is "With Bracket" in Japanese stamped along with "Cold weather region".

View attachment 2563962

Yes, I saw this picture of someone else's cowl and it had FOUR different part numbers on it, both for with and without "cold spec". This only confused me more.

When I enter my VIN into all the online parts web pages I've tried, it gives me BOTH as options, the -600091 and -60101 (with and without cold spec, respectively).

2008 cruiser lists two part numbers, as you said with cold spec being the differentiator.

The way to be truly sure is to pull yours and get the part number off it.. since you've had it out already this shouldn't be super difficult. Given the substantial cost I'd just do that.. unless someone chimes in with exactly what cold spec is.

My gut tells me most US cruisers have the cold package since windshield wiper heaters and heated mirrors were standard equipment. Also the PTC heater, if I remember correctly.

That ours are cold spec would seem to make sense given the wiper/mirror/PTC heaters. Strange that I can't find anything on the internet to clarify this, especially since both the with and without cold spec options are given for my VIN. You would think the VIN could differentiate the different LC200 versions.

And funny enough, the "with cold spec" version (-60091) is cheaper. Would have expected the opposite.

Last edited:
You will definitely need the one without cold air spec.
EDIT...
Screenshot_20240107_164853_Chrome.jpg

55708-60101

You can always confirm with parts center.
They emailed me when I opted for the cheaper of the 2.

Last edited:
55708-60101 is the cold spec part number stamped into the cowl, this is the part that I purchased. On the cowl, the part numbers are stamped and it says 55708-60091/60101 (cold region), pic attached.
Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 4.06.21 PM.png

You will definitely need the one without cold air spec.
EDIT...View attachment 3527374
55708-60101

You can always confirm with parts center.
They emailed me when I opted for the cheaper of the 2.

So according to this, -60101 is the "without cold spec" part, the more expensive of the two.

So our 200s are NOT cold spec? Despite having the mirror/wiper/PCT heaters?

55708-60101 is the cold spec part number stamped into the cowl, this is the part that I purchased. On the cowl, the part numbers are stamped and it says 55708-60091/60101 (cold region), pic attached. View attachment 3527559

This confuses me: both part numbers are stamped on there. Do both part numbers go to the same physical part?

Also, it seems that -60091 is the "cold spec" part, according to the online parts sites. I suspect that we are "cold spec", due to our wiper/mirror/PCT heaters, but this is very confusing.

I would call and talk to the parts desk, previously -60101 was labeled the "cold spec" on the Toyota parts site as stamped on the part. I bought the part after discussing with the guys at Lake City Toyota.
Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 4.55.48 PM.png

I noticed the leak in my new-to-me 2017 as well. Anyone have a link to good instructions or a video for removing the wiper cowl?

Ryan

I noticed the leak in my new-to-me 2017 as well. Anyone have a link to good instructions or a video for removing the wiper cowl?

Ryan

Many thanks! Got the cowl off no problem. The foam strip is in pretty bad shape, so I'll replace that and maybe try to rig up a deflector as others have suggested.

Thanks again

Many thanks! Got the cowl off no problem. The foam strip is in pretty bad shape, so I'll replace that and maybe try to rig up a deflector as others have suggested.

Thanks again
Hey - also in Novato here. I am having the identical issue on my 2016 LC.... I went to Toyota today to order the cowl, and they quoted me $834 for the part (no labor). Crooks. Going to just order online and do the installation myself, assuming I can figure out how to do it without damaging anything along the way.

Hey - also in Novato here. I am having the identical issue on my 2016 LC.... I went to Toyota today to order the cowl, and they quoted me $834 for the part (no labor). Crooks. Going to just order online and do the installation myself, assuming I can figure out how to do it without damaging anything along the way.
DM me if you want me to show you what I did on my 2017. It was super easy, and I even still have some foam left over.

Appreciate the offer for me to check it out. I may take you up on it…
I've had this same problem a couple years ago - you can fix this yourself and it will never happen again! @pistolrvr
Put new foam on the original cowl and made a deflector that is raised off the air intake with the extra from the expanding foam (approx 1inch rise) and it's 100% solved
Thanks to @lx200inAR @CharlieS @KLF

20230415_160500_resized.jpg

20230415_160919_resized.jpg

20230415_160302_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I've had this same problem a couple years ago - you can fix this yourself and it will never happen again! @pistolrvr
Put new foam on the original cowl and made a deflector that is raised off the air intake with the extra from the expanding foam (approx 1inch rise) and it's 100% solved
Thanks to @lx200inAR @CharlieS @KLF

View attachment 3539948

View attachment 3539949

View attachment 3539954
So I tried the plastic flashing method that this guy on YouTube used...

I put my hand over the dash vents with the fan on high and found that the airflow was greatly reduced when I had the flashing on vs off. I was surprised at the amount of suction that AC fan has under the dash when the vent is pulling outside air vs on recirculate. Do you notice any reduction in airflow with the intake guard you used? Can you send a side pic of how the 1" foam elevates the vent guard? I am always trying to DIY if possible, but to avoid the water on the electronics below the dash and related expenses, I may just bite the bullet and buy a new cowl. Did you remove and replace the foam along the entire upper portion of the cowl? I have the M-D expanding 1/2"x 1/2" expanding foam shown in the other threads, but curious what you are using since it looks slightly different than the foam in the pics you posted. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom