Coolant Leaking into Passenger Footwell & on Front Passenger Mudflaps (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey ya'll! I just recently got my 91 Fj80 so I'm new to these forums, new to this truck, and somewhat new to the self-done maintenance stuff. Appreciate any help!

So the symptoms I'm experiencing:
- Sweet smell after driving
- Windows fog up when using the heater
- Leaking coolant (green, sweet, sticky liquid) in the passenger footwell (see image)
- Smaller leak dripping off the passenger side mudflap behind the front tire

The coolant level isn't dropping very quickly. It'll drip steadily for 5-10 minutes after turning the truck off. I saw some similar stuff in the following three posts:
1. Passenger Floor Coolant, Heater Core Leak
2. 1984 Coolant Leak Near Firewall
3. Coolant Leak into Passenger Footwell

After reading those, it seems like the culprit is likely the heater core. And if it's the heater core, I'd have to find the discontinued part AND take out the entire dash to get to it. So, before I undertake that, I was wondering if there are other things I can check that could also be the culprit. Thank you!

IMG_2334.jpg

I would try to tighten the hose connections where it meets the firewall first. Especially since you say it’s showing inside and out.

Bypass it for now to eliminate the immediate problem. Look for a good replacement core on MUD. Replace core and hoses when opportunity pops up. You MAY be able to repair the original core, but it is iffy. Basically all aluminum.

Been there, done that. It's likely the front heater core. Yes, you have to remove the dash. It's cool. Just screws and such. I was able to find a good radiator shop that repaired my old one for about $150. So far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom