Cookie Cutter 5.3 Swap Into 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Garret. Appreciate the input. I picked up the 60 mount simply to have on hand in case I needed it. I am in UT, so can take it back to Cruiser Outfitters easily. I was buying a handful of parts, and figured it wouldn't hurt to have on hand.

For reference, 62 mount PN is 12371-61041 (NLA), and this is a pretty good description with pics of the two mounts (and aftermarket).

If anyone knows of a replacement PN or a NOS stash of these, let me know.
Was digging around on the Web and found a reference for Westar EM-8642. Seems to be made for the 88-90 model years. Maybe that'll work?
Security Check - https://www.carid.com/westar/automatic-transmission-mount-mpn-em-8642.html

Little bit more work done over the past couple of weeks. Got the engine bay pressure washed, and chatted with Matt about modifying the adapter to work with stock 62 crossmember and mount.

Currently trying to decide if I am going to strip everything off of the firewall for paint, or just spray the inner fenders. Also need to paint my diff, as once the layers of grease and oil came off, I am down to metal on it. May as well do steering linkage while I'm at it.

EB3B2D67-4E4C-4445-8BE3-589AEE05C2B8_1_102_o.jpeg

Worked on measuring AA mount for the correct 62 crossmember placement after chatting with Matt. This placement was measured off of the A440 to keep the transfer case as close the stock place location as possible. Mount placement on the 440 is very close to the rear of the transmission, so on the AA piece it will be mounted as close to the edge of the machined section as I can get it and still get 360˚ thread engagement. That ends up being about 1/2" from the t-case mounting surface vs 1/8" on the A440. Assuming the driveshafts will have enough slip in them to work with a 3/8" move to the rear, but Matt please shout if I am butchering your intended design.

Unfortunately there is not enough material to machine the mount surface down 3/8" so that it is square with the t-case mounting surface. That would allow me to match the forward/rearward t-case location perfectly, and would have the bonus of not needing 1/4" spacers between my frame a crossmember to lower the transmission a bit (per Matt). Oh well.

A440 mounting location:
IMG_1711 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1709 Medium.jpeg

Ideal placement:
IMG_1733 Medium.jpeg

This is where I will drill and tap:
IMG_1718 Medium.jpeg

The 1/2” change from stock is not a problem.
Put the mount where you will have good threads.
Bonus if you helicoil them.

Slow going, but picking away at it.

Got the transfer case rebuilt using the long spline input gear from Cruiser Outfitters

Here is a video of how sloppy the original input gear was, which I have learned explains the clunk from my transmission.

Various rebuild pics. Nothing new here.
CE82F83B-C916-4E95-9E89-38F8F0C5BE32_1_105_c.jpeg

8673E73C-67A5-4E6C-8C11-085983F87E40_1_105_c.jpeg

Used the 60 speedo gear to hopefully correct my speedo a bit. Saw this from @daytonadogie 's build thread. Parts were less than $40.
39F899E6-4E6F-4058-99F7-3540A7602C09_1_105_c.jpeg

39E3C404-4C04-4522-B0E9-E5001794C72F_1_105_c.jpeg

Matt's motor mounts tacked in.
41C33656-B9F9-445F-B46D-A325B73F6E29_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
This is what I have done to the motor so far. Is there any other recommended and affordable preventative maintenance that is worth doing before it goes in?
  • Plugs and wires
  • Rear main seal
  • Oil pan
  • Manifold and gaskets
  • Serp belt and tensioner
  • AC belt and tensioner
  • Motor mounts

Good call on the input gear. However you must have missed the idler gear oil slinger if you installed the input gear before the idler gear ;)

Good call on the input gear. However you must have missed the idler gear oil slinger if you installed the input gear before the idler gear ;)
Good catch. I hadn’t gotten that far in Georg’s YouTube video when I took the pic. Input gear was removed shortly after and reassembled in the correct order with idler gear first.

Last edited:
Slow going, but picking away at it.

Got the transfer case rebuilt using the long spline input gear from Cruiser Outfitters

Here is a video of how sloppy the original input gear was, which I have learned explains the clunk from my transmission.

Various rebuild pics. Nothing new here.

Great video highlighting the wear that can be resolved with the long spline gear! Mind if I share that video?

Got the firewall and fenders painted, along with POR15 and top coat applied to the frame and diff.

8EF30B05-615B-43B7-9808-8EEE8B24BCD2_1_105_c.jpeg

E310CBCE-21F4-4267-B7E2-DBBDBD42025D_1_105_c.jpeg

Took the opportunity to rebuild an 80 series PS box to upgrade to.
578ACCB5-8E14-4866-B207-CBEBAA8C213E_1_105_c.jpeg

DB17E4AC-E394-485E-96B9-F4E6059DD061_1_105_c.jpeg

IMG_2342.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_2343.jpeg

Also, as advertised, copied the shifter linkage idea from various threads here.
E894CC34-874D-4312-B19D-2693EF87EBF5_1_105_c.jpeg

I had to bend mine a bit to clear the neutral safety swtich. Also got the transmission temp sensor installed in the test port, and you can see Matt's reverse light and NSS harness.
2D9DDD4E-E66F-4082-84FB-9F475CD4559C_1_105_c.jpeg

IMG_2344.jpeg

Fuel filter installed. Kept the pump and lines stock.
IMG_2340.jpeg

What is the purpose of the steam port?
I am sure someone else here is more qualified to explain this, but this is my understanding.

The thermostat on the LS engines is lower than most of the coolant passages, so any air that gets trapped in the system builds up and can cause hot spots and issues with coolant flow. To solve this, there are steam ports built into the cylinder heads which need to be vented. You can either vent into the radiator or some people tap a port into the water pump housing. I am not messing with my intake, so will just run a 1/4" hose from the stock LS steam system to the new radiator fitting.

Alternatively, the easy way to deal with this is by simply adding a junction in the upper radiator hose with a steam port like this.
Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 7.53.14 AM.png

aww yeah dude, excited to see someone else do the toyota cruise setup in a 60. Youre killin it

I am sure someone else here is more qualified to explain this, but this is my understanding.

The thermostat on the LS engines is lower than most of the coolant passages, so any air that gets trapped in the system builds up and can cause hot spots and issues with coolant flow. To solve this, there are steam ports built into the cylinder heads which need to be vented. You can either vent into the radiator or some people tap a port into the water pump housing. I am not messing with my intake, so will just run a 1/4" hose from the stock LS steam system to the new radiator fitting.

Alternatively, the easy way to deal with this is by simply adding a junction in the upper radiator hose with a steam port like this.
View attachment 3143743
Awesome thanks! Makes more sense now.

Are you planning on twin sticking the TC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom