?? to all you 350, 700r4 to stock toyota transfer swap guys! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tijuana, Mexico, bootleg demos in Tokyo...
Well got my 700R4 to the stock fj62 transfer case adapter the other day, I started opening up all the packages like an 8 year old on Christmas morning… and look what I got:D

Started reading the instructions on how to assemble this kit, is it just me or these instructions really suck, I do a lot better with pictures ha ha…:bang:

Trying to figure out how all the little bits and pieces go, cause I want to start doing the conversion soon, but just can figure it out… maybe you guys can give me a few pointers.:wrench:

Here are some pics of the stuff I got for the ol' fj62…:grinpimp:

never posted pics before so dont know how's it going to come out :doh:

pic 1- chevy 350 TPI out of camaro iroc z28:hillbilly:
pic 2- big box o' goodies
pic 3- small box o goodies... :bounce:
tpi engine.jpg
big box.jpg
small box.jpg

Last edited:
some more pics!!

and more...
pic 7- 700r center shaft and extension
pic 8- bag o' bits and bolts
pic 9- spacer and bearing

guys tell me if thats enough pics..dont wanna get carried away:rolleyes:

There’s a picture on the instructions of the bracket installed so no problem there, but I’m having trouble figuring out how and where the spacer and bearing goes... can you swap guys help?
shaft.jpg
bolts.jpg
bearing.jpg

i just "finished" mine! actually, i still have wiring to clean up, a tach interface to wire in, an electric fan to install, a front drive shaft to install, an air cleaner to purchase, an antennae to replace etc., etc., etc.... but it's running great! i used a 350TBI motor...your motor looks a like a lot more fun!

that bearing and spacer will go on to the end of the spud shaft coming out the back of the adapter and in to the t-case...and yes, i agree, the instructions from AA really suck. and they're totally for an FJ40/60 conversion which is different enough from the '62 to warrant better instructions.

here's a picture:

100_1485.jpg

100_1486.jpg

and here's a link to my thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/421007-yet-another-sbc-tbi-into-fj62.html

FYI: when installing the engine, tranny & t-case, we bolted everything up and attached it to the mount/cross member and then located everything by attaching the stock rear cross member FIRST...that located the tranny and engine perfectly front to back and left plenty of firewall clearance and room up front for cooling options. just watch the height of your motor mounts as you'll see in my thread. although, the fix i used seems to work great.

good luck! and keep your thread going...it was a lot of help for me. i got a lot out of the threads that i read and the very helpful people on this forum...

it doesn't seem like a lot of people have done the FJ62 conversion so i'll be really curious to see how yours comes along!

-darin
100_1485.jpg
100_1486.jpg

OH yeah...the people at advance adatpers need to go back to school and their instructions.

Instructions should be written such that a person wiith the basic skills and knowledge would have proper guidence and assistence in installing whatever. I think the advance peopel assume you know how to install the stuff pror to opening the box. Not enough pics/graphics in their stuff and they don't provide proper full details.

I had parts left over from my swap from advance that I still don't know know what they do or what they are for.

thxs a lot guys!!;)

the pictures do help me out a lot... :hmm:

i still got to do some things first before starting taking off parts from the 62...

since my engine is a tpi with a MAF sensor and not the air density, i could'nt use a mechanical fan, so i went the electrical route, read some threads here on mud and found a good used contour fan and got it for 22 bucks!:grinpimp: will see how that works out.

next step got to rebuild the 700r i works fine its just for peace of mind my buddy did some donuts :steer:with the camaro before taking off the engine wiring transmission etc maybe even put a shift kit on... will post when i get more updates or get into more trouble and have more questions:D later!!

yeah the AA booklet just doesn't cut it:mad:, it needs to have some more drawings or illustrations so people get a better idea on how every thing goes together:confused:... glad to hear i'm not the only one...

xxfullsailxx i have some more question about your swap but i will read your thread first maybe the answers lie within :D

update...

just sent out the 700r to get a complete rebuild on saturday... dont have pics but i'll post a pic when i get it back from the shop :bounce: just hope nothing from advance adapters kit goes on the inside on the tranny:censor::bang: well except the modified center shaft i hope:confused:

xxfullsailxx read your post, but still got a few questions for ya :hmm: alltough i'm not in that stage yet... but was just curious... did you have to modify your drive shafts or the stock trans crossmember, i read you changed the AA bracket for the t-case hope i can do it myself? what did you use for a shifter?...

also will do a simple drawing of the AA kit and how i understood it goes together you guys can correct me on that if i'm wrong ...

Last edited:
I think you can use a mechanical radiator fan setip? Something off a similar year model pickup or caprice. I think all the TPI engines did use electric fans stock as I recall. Could you not adapt from a 5.7 TBI engine for fan and fan clutch... as long as the engine accessories turned the same way. I think there are some discussions on this ...on some of the GM related web sites.

When I'm referring to the word "turned" I'm talking about if the fan and fan belt turn clockwise or couterclockwise.

What radiator do you guys use for this? I have 2 electric fans from a Cadillac. They push LOTS of air. Anyone ever tried to fab up mounts for these?

What radiator do you guys use for this? I have 2 electric fans from a Cadillac. They push LOTS of air. Anyone ever tried to fab up mounts for these?

I used a cheapie from the local parts house, but I didn't like the supplied (through the radiator) mounts. It kept my old 350'd 60 plenty cool with a stock radiator in TX heat though.

There are a lot of topics covering taurus dual fan installations. Try searching for taurus fan and it will return a lot that may have some mounting details for you.

I think you can use a mechanical radiator fan setip? Something off a similar year model pickup or caprice. I think all the TPI engines did use electric fans stock as I recall. Could you not adapt from a 5.7 TBI engine for fan and fan clutch... as long as the engine accessories turned the same way. I think there are some discussions on this ...on some of the GM related web sites.

When I'm referring to the word "turned" I'm talking about if the fan and fan belt turn clockwise or couterclockwise.

since i have the tpi setup with the maf sensor on the intake, i cant bolt up the fan & clutch cause the fan blades interfere with the intake setup... already tried haha will post a pic when i get a chance...

the original plan was to use the stock radiator with mechanical fan setup, but couldnt (see above post) since the donor cars wiring is setup to run a dual electric fan setup im going to run contour fans... read some threads on mud about the swap and seem to work out fine... i hooked up the fans to a battery and seem to pull some good air... will wait and see how they work on my 62:steer:

xxfullsailxx read your post, but still got a few questions for ya :hmm: alltough i'm not in that stage yet... but was just curious... did you have to modify your drive shafts or the stock trans crossmember, i read you changed the AA bracket for the t-case hope i can do it myself? what did you use for a shifter.

driveshafts: i had the rear shortened by 1 1/4"...i've mocked up the front and i'm 90% sure it's going to work as-is...(knock on wood). i'll try to get it installed in the next couple of days to let you know.

crossmember: YES, i used the stock crossmember with only minor troubles! everyone told me that i would need to fabricate a crossmember or seriously alter the stock one and that it would hang too low...even AA told me to mount the motor first and then mount everything behind it...DON'T DO THAT! the stock crossmember works just fine when coupled to this mount:

Auto Extra 105-8642 - AutoExtra Transmission Mounts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

it's cheaper now than when i bought it! i might have to buy an extra...FYI: Summit is showing the application as FJ62 but it is NOT...it's an FJ60 mount which is what you need. here's a pic:

100_1517.jpg

the top one is the FJ62 mount, the middle is the Summit mount and the bottom is the Toyota OEM FJ60 mount. we ended up cutting the Summit mount into two sides because the holes in the bottom of the adapter did not line up with either FJ60 mount. you can see that the toyota mount is almost an inch taller that the after market one...we had the toyota mount mocked up but realized we would have to use spacers (no big deal) under the crossmember bolts to clear the pan with the top of the t-case. when we tried the after market mount from summit it bolted right up and cleared the floorboard no problem.

Once we got the mount attached to the adapter, we bored out the holes on the crossember to fit, mounted it and then bolted all (tranny, AA & t-case) in the vehicle in the stock location. when we bolted up the motor to the tranny, everything was aligned: plenty of firewall clearance and an extra 4 inches up front for fans...just watch your height of the motor mounts!

i still have that toyota OEM mount if you want it...$50 shipped. in case you decide to fabricate your own crossmember...that mount is beefier than the aftermarket one, but a lot more expensive too...(i payed $140 from Proffitt's)

shifter bracket: the t-case shifter bracket from AA is a start, but they tell you right off the bat that it will have to be modified for the FJ62...it took me two tries. i think i got it right with the second attempt but am waiting on a new linkage rod from SOR to hook it all up. i'll let you know how it works out and get some measurements if you need.
100_1517.jpg

i am currently using the stock Toyota radiator that i sent out to be cleaned and pressure tested...the radiator guy said that it was more than adequate... and looking at the GM service manual, it calls for something like 7 quarts capacity vs. 11 quarts for the toyota...i am currently running the mechanical fan with no shroud...seems to be keeping it's cool during the winter no problem.

and i have a ford contour electric fan to install bought from Advanced Auto parts with this fan controller (purchased on-line):

Electronic Fan Controller 70 Amp

dakota digital also makes a tachometer interface which i am going to try out so i can keep the stock tachometer in place:

Universal Tachometer Signal Interface

SICK! :bounce:

i should be working on the TLC tomorrow but it's snowing in the mountains and i've been stuck inside with house projects for two weeks...so it's time to go ski!:banana:

post back and let us know about the fan controller. I had seen that on their web site but it seems like a lot people run one from DC controls?(dont' recall the name right off hand). You might want to look around on the ford contur fans as there a couple of threads with some good pics regarding mounting the fan. You probally need teh extra fan relay harness too. The Ford v-6 contour fan is two fans combined into one mount..

xxfullsailxx

could i use the stock fj62 tranny mount and cut it in half?? it seems like there would be pretty similar when you cut it in half...:confused: thxs alot for the help :clap:

Last edited:
i've installed and sold a ton of these adapters and have never had any major issues. i thought the instructions were pretty good. they do have an "800" number if you have questions.............:idea:

the caprice wagons ( with the goofy woody siding, oldsmobile only ) had machanical fans on the TPI engines.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

The Caprice wagons were LT1 engines similar to the Camaro/Corvette TPI but slightly different. That being said, Yes, you can fit a mech. fan on with a speed density set up but with a MAF set up it will be tough.

Dynosoar:zilla:

xxfullsailxx

could i use the stock fj62 tranny mount and cut it in half?? it seems like there would be pretty similar when you cut it in half...:confused: thxs alot for the help :clap:

no, i just measured both mounts (my old FJ62 mount and my "extra" "new" toyota FJ60 oem mount)...the bolt pattern on the FJ62 mount is ~3 3/8" X ~5 1/2" and the FJ60 mount (and the AA adapter bolt pattern) measures ~4 1/4" X 6 3/4"...

you need the FJ60 mount, unless AA has changed their bolt pattern!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom