Convince Me To Not Reverse SOA (1 Viewer)

SOA or SUA

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I bought my 60 it had a poorly done SOA with a 4runner rear axle and stock springs.

Even with the stock sagging springs, it is just too tall for my( and my wife's) liking.

Ive already gutted the thing for body work and paint and am currently rebuilding a FF 80 axle to go under the rear.

I cant find a source for stock height springs for a low SOA, I don't really want to french the leaves into the frame, and dont have the time and money to do the coil conversion that I really want.

If I went with the Cruiser Outfitters 2-3" lift plus shackle reversal it will get me close to 4" of lift.

I really want to figure out a way to retain the 35's but stay as low as possible. I know I will probably need to massage the fenders to make them fit.

I don't plan to do any really hardcore rock crawling (but my balls want me to be able to go anywhere in the world), but I do want it to weekend exploring. No daily driving.

All this in mind, I feel like the correct thing for me to do is SUA and try to fit the 35s.

Pic for Reference:
00000IMG_00000_BURST20181202110441772_COVER.jpg

My vote if your skills are up to it go back to SUA.
I'd chuck a set of 33's on it and call it a day. You will be able to get to 99% of places with 33's and a rear locker and you will get way more normal steering and handling back.
35's are a bit more effort and I'm not sure the benefits outweighs the effort unless you are doing some difficult terrain.
But this is coming from and Aussie where 35's are considered a big ass tire! You guys live in a different world where 35's are considered small!

I have a set of very clean 62 front fenders that were cut by a previous owner. I’ll never use them. Waiting to find someone who’s wanting cut fenders and do a trade + cash difference. Figure I could save a set of good fenders out there one day. I agree with @plink01 comments.

@Groin Did you ever make your decision on this?

I'm rather enchanted with going SOA... and, if you'd want to take my OEM SUA set up... perhaps we could arrange a trade.

I'm near(ish) in Oakland, CA

PM Me?

reversing a SOA lift is going to be very involved depending on what was done. Maybe share pics and get better guidance from these engineers in here

You can replace the main leaf with custom reverse eye leaf’s. Any spring shop should be able to make them. I’ve read in mud there are some springs shops that build stock leaf springs for 60’s
It should lower it around 1.5 inches. it’s less work than going back to SUA.

0C908946-A3FB-46D7-A5AE-3D3264A133FF.jpeg

really old 35 12.5 r15’s
0CF96871-4DBB-4F32-8558-08446AE6C498.jpeg

It’s pretty happy high the height now. It’s not hard to get in.

Swap the rear to 63" GM springs and 80 series coils conversion (lifted) in the front. You will get a better ride both on the highway and in the rough stuff.
Going back, if that's what you need then look into Dobinsons. I'd wouldn't go back to SUA at this point.

@Groin Did you ever make your decision on this?

I'm rather enchanted with going SOA... and, if you'd want to take my OEM SUA set up... perhaps we could arrange a trade.

I'm near(ish) in Oakland, CA

PM Me?
@Taylorious Thanks for the offer, but you do not want what I have.

The PO did a very half-assed SOA, and for some reason he replaced the rear axle with one out of a 2nd gen 4runner. There was no cut and turn on the front, and most of the hardware is scrap metal.

@BryanLiew I have talked to all the custom spring makers, and they either no quoted stock height revere eyes or quote $1500 each front and rear.

I will talk to a local spring shop and see what they can do about a reverse eye top leaf.

I do like your height though. If I could get down to that, I would be happy

@MoaByte 80 coils are the dream, but not in the budget right now.

The plan right now is (if I strike out with revese eye leafs) is the go with OME heavy 2.5" springs and extended shackles to see what I can fit

@Taylorious Thanks for the offer, but you do not want what I have.

The PO did a very half-assed SOA, and for some reason he replaced the rear axle with one out of a 2nd gen 4runner. There was no cut and turn on the front, and most of the hardware is scrap metal.

@BryanLiew I have talked to all the custom spring makers, and they either no quoted stock height revere eyes or quote $1500 each front and rear.

I will talk to a local spring shop and see what they can do about a reverse eye top leaf.

I do like your height though. If I could get down to that, I would be happy

@MoaByte 80 coils are the dream, but not in the budget right now.

The plan right now is (if I strike out with revese eye leafs) is the go with OME heavy 2.5" springs and extended shackles to see what I can fit

If you are keeping the cost down. You. Can do what cruisermatt did, which is basically free. I used the same technique instead of buying reverse eye Springs
I linked Matt’s thread the in my post.
Scroll down to post 77 in thsi thread.

Alcan can make reverse eye single main leaf for about 120$ each.

I am getting mixed messages about reverse eye springs.

Here is a quote from an email I got from Alcan:

"Just by doing a reverse eye doesn’t give you a lower height. Free arch is what gives the height of the lift."

"Just by doing a reverse eye doesn’t give you a lower height. Free arch is what gives the height of the lift."

Two leafs with the same free arch but one with reverse eyes WILL be lower by the diameter of the bushing.

This video may help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom