Continue the build or get out now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Several years ago I bought a 1970 40 model with a blown 2F. I spent a great deal of money having the 2F motor rebuilt. I have also spend a lot of money having the entire vehicle repainted and every imperfection on the body removed. I bought new leather seats and had them installed. Replaced all of the emblems, ornaments etc... You get the picture. For all intents and purposes, the 40 looks wonderful. However, it still has the 3-spd tranny and I have a bad synchro in 2nd gear. The only other problem is the wiring is somewhat hacked up.

For personal reasons I am wanting to get the 40 sold. Hence, I don't want to pour too much more money into it to get it ready to sell. My question is this: Do I sell it as is, replace the 3-spd, replace the wiring harness? Is it worth it to take care of the problems? Will I hurt myself financially by not fixing them?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Regards,
Jonny

Depends on the buyer. I would say you would come out with more money in the end if it was complete, a bad trans is a strong bargining chip for the potential buyer.

a used 3spd trans can be had for cheap or free. As for the wiring harness, as long as all the major items work, I would not mess with it as a rewire is a major undertaking if you have not done it before.

2x that, fix or replace the tranny and make sure the wiring harness works, there is not much to a 1970. Will make a huge difference in the selling price I think. Its the difference between a nice vehicle and an unfinished project. If I was the buyer I would say NO that way I could get a deal on stuff that is cheap to fix, if I am the seller fix so I can get more of my money back and attract a large buyer pool having a drivable vehicle not really needing anything

i have a buddy with 2 4spd sitting in his garage, and a couple 3 spds out back, they are everywhere for cheap, buy a painless wiring harness and drive it! you are already in it more than you will ever get out, just finish it up and enjoy IT!!

I know that I hate dealing with electrical issues. If I were looking at it for a ready to go daily driver I would probably walk away after you said, Yeah the wiring is a little screwed up! Not that its hard just time consuming. I would feel more comfortable about putting a new tranny in myself than rewiring. But I am the odd ball.

Thank you everyone for your responses, they are greatly appreciated.

In regard to the wiring - there isn't anything wrong with in terms of stuff not working. Rather, it is the one piece of the vehicle that has not had attention, thus making it stand out more in terms of being a complete restoration/repair.

I guess the general consensus is to replace the 3-spd and just make sure everything is working on the wiring...

It is interesting that the only person who told me not to fix it is the same person asking how much I want to sell it for ;)

Thanks guys, keep the comments coming...

Jonny

Thank you everyone for your responses, they are greatly appreciated.

In regard to the wiring - there isn't anything wrong with in terms of stuff not working. Rather, it is the one piece of the vehicle that has not had attention, thus making it stand out more in terms of being a complete restoration/repair.

I guess the general consensus is to replace the 3-spd and just make sure everything is working on the wiring...

It is interesting that the only person who told me not to fix it is the same person asking how much I want to sell it for ;)

Thanks guys, keep the comments coming...

Jonny

Well that just shows that that atleast one of us is thinking. Not going to lie to you if you had been in AL I would have offered the same advice. Just remember it's never worth selling a 40. If nothing else they make great yard art and are good for starting conversations. + they can always help take care ofthat extra money burning a hole in your pocket

It is interesting that the only person who told me not to fix it is the same person asking how much I want to sell it for

I was joking...sort of. Just trying to make a point that its not worth dumping more $$ into it if your going to sell it. Sounds like it runs/drives ok and looks good. For the right price, should be an easy sell. These rigs are not selling for what they did a few years ago. Dont want to see you toss $$ out the window. Im a lil far away to pick it up...personally Id sell the dog/kids/wife and keep the 40!

Last edited:
I'd put the 3spd in and have some serious fun after all that spent money.
Sunk cost, might as well enjoy it for awhile!

But that's me and I'm not in your shoes.

But if you're dead set on selling, I'd fix the tranny and like others stated, you'll increase the size of potential buyers.

Good luck.

Free 3 speed tranny for the shipping from 94558. Would be glad to donate a 69 wiring harness after I install the new painless as well. (may be a few months on it)

Free 3 speed tranny for the shipping from 94558. Would be glad to donate a 69 wiring harness after I install the new painless as well. (may be a few months on it)

That is a very kind offer sir, thank you. I wonder how much shipping would cost? And that harness would be greatly appreciated also - at this rate it will be a couple of months before I get it back from paint anyway :bang:

I truly appreciate your offer and I will be in touch via PM.

Regards,
Jonny

Jonny, if your wiring is working, don't fix what ain't broke! Sounds like you've done/are doing a bunch of work on you rig..enjoy it and fix it up a little at a time.

If you intend on keeping it, skip the 3 speed and swap a 4 speed in - a world of difference!

Brian

If it were me, after all that money spent, and it is alot of money, i would keep it. But if you must sell, i would leave the wiring alone and fix the tranny. I bought my first cruiser a few months ago, and if i had looked at a rig that didnt drive, even if it was real nice, i wouldnt have even considered buying it. But thats just me, maybe there are guys that do work themselves that wouldnt mind. If selling is a must, i would get it going for as cheap as possible and get it up for sale. Man, all that time and money, not going to see the finished product, or get to play with it, OUCH!! It makes my heart ache.

Goodluck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom