Compiling/comparing lift and caster data (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Remember that the factory castor setting of +3 deg only applies for 8/92 up 80's. For earlier ones it's something like +1.97. That's why to get the +4.5 deg castor my 80 has now with 3" springs I had to use 4" lift compensated radius arms.

Came across this little tidbit in the FSM a while ago and just remembered your comment. That different caster for the early ones is only if you have stock size tires, otherwise it should be the 3*, +- 1* from the later models.

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 3.46.15 PM.png

I'm just seeing this thread now, great idea! Once I get my winch back in I'll provide my results, probably not the alignment specs for the time being though. Can the data be edited/added to in the google thing? By anyone? Or how does that part work?

I'm just seeing this thread now, great idea! Once I get my winch back in I'll provide my results, probably not the alignment specs for the time being though. Can the data be edited/added to in the google thing? By anyone? Or how does that part work?

The data can be downloaded by anyone and edited/messes with offline (at least that’s how I meant to set it up, not sure if I was successful). I can go in and edit or anybody who is an admin can, but the idea is it doesn’t get edited, just added to. You add data by filling out the google form link it the first post and that automatically enters the data into the spreadsheet. There is no limit to the number of entries you can provide.

Dave,

Sorry, just saw this. You want data from any rigs, correct?

I'll dig through my file from LTS and get my somewhat recent alignment data and the measurements you want.

I may also have data from right before and right after the panhard bracket install if that's something you'd like. By "may" I mean I'm horrible at keeping paperwork and hopefully LTS keeps it on file...

-Evan

Dave,

Sorry, just saw this. You want data from any rigs, correct?

I'll dig through my file from LTS and get my somewhat recent alignment data and the measurements you want.

-Evan

Yup! That would be super helpful!

This is an awesome idea. As per our email conversation, I will get you my numbers after I add the spacers. It might be a little while but I am following this thread and will add my numbers.

I am glad I looked first, but Dobinsons doesn't have a 20mm rear spacer listed on their site. 30mm it is I guess.

I am also looking forward to running the correct @Delta VS radius arms on my Land Cruiser.

This is an awesome idea. As per our email conversation, I will get you my numbers after I add the spacers. It might be a little while but I am following this thread and will add my numbers.

I am glad I looked first, but Dobinsons doesn't have a 20mm rear spacer listed on their site. 30mm it is I guess.

I am also looking forward to running the correct @Delta VS radius arms on my Land Cruiser.

Given that I've got 3" medium rate springs, and superior eng 'superflex' arms configured for a 4" lift, I wonder why I get a caster figure of about +4.5. I'm not upset about that, but figure if I replace the arms (which I want to do - the on-road performance of them is s#$te IMHO) I'd get different arms set for 3" of lift instead.

But is there actually any problem with having more than 4 degrees of caster?

Given that I've got 3" medium rate springs, and superior eng 'superflex' arms configured for a 4" lift, I wonder why I get a caster figure of about +4.5. I'm not upset about that, but figure if I replace the arms (which I want to do - the on-road performance of them is s#$te IMHO) I'd get different arms set for 3" of lift instead.

But is there actually any problem with having more than 4 degrees of caster?

Aside from some minute possibility (like unmeasureable amount) of accelerated wear on a knuckle bearings or something, if you like the handling, there’s probably not much wrong with it. There are plenty of folks who prefer a little extra caster so the rig tracks better.

It would make sense that you have extra caster from those arms if you are lifted less than what they are designed for. Same would happen with our arms. Say you are lifted 2”, you’re going to lose about 3* of caster or so, putting you at/near 0*. If you installed a set of 2” arms you would be put up to about 3.5* of caster, if you installed 4” arms, you would end up somewhere around 7*.

I know @RFB swears by the superflex arms (I’m sure plenty of other folks too) and I know plenty of people who won’t ever run them again. It seems like folks who spend more time off-road than on-road are more comfortable with their superflex arms.

For the rear we make 10mm (PS59-4005) 15mm (PS59-4006) and 30mm (PS59-4007), but we sell a lot of the 30mm to add height. The shorter ones aren't sold that often online, but we do sell them from time to time to help with lean correction.

subscribing as a reminder to take measurements when I get my suspension sorted out

I just got my caster measurement done this morning so I can order my new control arms. I loaded them into the spreadsheet. It was a lot worse than I realized.

View attachment 1916049
So what lift combination do you have, and do you have any caster correction already?

So what lift combination do you have, and do you have any caster correction already?

He entered all that into the spreadsheet. Check it out here: >>> DeltaVS 91-97 Toyota Land Cruiser Lift height/caster data <<< (also in the first post)

This is why it would be very helpful for more people to enter their info into the spreadsheet, it can be a data base for people to look at and see actual caster numbers with various lifts/setups

I have the Ironman 4” performance coils with 2” metal tech spacers on the front. I have the metal tech caster correction plates on my control arms. I’m thinking about removing the spacers on the front or at least reducing the height of them.

It has been awhile since I mess with all this on an 80. Maybe my findings are still in my old thread, I will find a link.

I remember when I first started playing with 80 suspension I found the SLEE generalization of how much lift = how much caster to be inaccurate. I gather it was a % not 2” = x amount of caster.

I think I went through three different suspension configurations in my 80. I recall caster being out by a crazy number like 12 or 14* until I fixed it.

Cheers

@voodu3 this is awesome info, thank you very much for going through the trouble. Would you mind posting up the part number or something to your caster plates? That way we can 100% know what that particular product does for caster (whatever it is, it looks like it adds almost 5*).

Again, awesome info that is incredibly useful to everybody here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom