Column shifter tune up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few thoughts:
Nice work firstly!

Says “disassembly is obvious” and you got it; FSM is always right…. I thought they were a tapered pin the first time and almost ruined some stuff before searching.

If you use grease on or around the rubber parts, I use disc brake quiet grease because it’s rubber safe. Not sure if the rubber parts will stand up to petroleum based lubes.

Never needed a wheel puller in a 40; unscrew the nut and pop backward on the steering wheel and they usually come off.

Lastly, unfortunately I bet the tolerance and looseness you’re feeling is about as good as you’ll get. I could be wrong (it’s bound to happen once…). I feel a good “tight” column shifter provides good shifts and you know where the gear engagements are, but it’s “mushy”. Now, if you can’t reliably find/feel the shift gates, there may be improvement to find. I really was able to fine tune the slop when I put in @Cruiser Cult 4 on the tree adapter because the engagement has a smaller window and it was easier to tell what adjustments and fixes were curing the slop.

A few thoughts:
Nice work firstly!

Says “disassembly is obvious” and you got it; FSM is always right…. I thought they were a tapered pin the first time and almost ruined some stuff before searching.

If you use grease on or around the rubber parts, I use disc brake quiet grease because it’s rubber safe. Not sure if the rubber parts will stand up to petroleum based lubes.

Never needed a wheel puller in a 40; unscrew the nut and pop backward on the steering wheel and they usually come off.

Lastly, unfortunately I bet the tolerance and looseness you’re feeling is about as good as you’ll get. I could be wrong (it’s bound to happen once…). I feel a good “tight” column shifter provides good shifts and you know where the gear engagements are, but it’s “mushy”. Now, if you can’t reliably find/feel the shift gates, there may be improvement to find. I really was able to fine tune the slop when I put in @Cruiser Cult 4 on the tree adapter because the engagement has a smaller window and it was easier to tell what adjustments and fixes were curing the slop.
Good advice.

This NEEDED a wheel puller. When it finally let go, I initially thought I'd broken my puller. The release was that dramatic. It was on there good.

I know I can improve the slop. Having issues finding 2nd from 1st.

My 67 Mustang has a toploader with a Hurst shifter with steel bushings. About a precise shifting tranny as you can imagine, but I don't expect anything close to that here. Just want to be able to get 'er in gear!

Good advice.

This NEEDED a wheel puller. When it finally let go, I initially thought I'd broken my puller. The release was that dramatic. It was on there good.

I know I can improve the slop. Having issues finding 2nd from 1st.

My 67 Mustang has a toploader with a Hurst shifter with steel bushings. About a precise shifting tranny as you can imagine, but I don't expect anything close to that here. Just want to be able to get 'er in gear!
I’ve got the steel bushing in the hurst in my Chevelle. Very precise indeed!

I actually had a Hurst in my ‘70 Maverick 😂. It was a straight 6 cyl as well. Zoom zoom. 🚗

Spent the week with kids, in laws and grandkids at Smoky mountain national park but am back at it.

I ordered a 13mm reamer to get 0.512 clearance out of my 0.50 bushing and hopefully fit over my 0.51 pivot.

The plastic bushing I ordered from Toyota fits nothing, so I'm deciding that is just a fluke in the Toyota parts system. The SKF bearing will take up the slack on the lower part of the shifter, which "should" solve the flex down there.

Will update as I fix stuff

that plate is the so-called contact plate for the horn assembly - it looks like it is missing something . . .
It's missing all sorts of random parts.

I'm going to run it hornless for the immediate future, as I have more important fish to fry.

As an aside, the steering wheel was in such poor shape that I tried to rescue it. it now consists of 80 percent PC 7. Waiting for that to dry so I can file and sand it down smooth and cerakote it.

IMG_20230319_170426294.jpg

I received my bushing reamer and after cutting the bushing to length and drilling a hole to approximate where the old zert hole was, I pressed it into the bellcrank.

I reamed it out using a t-handle and a soft jaw vice.

Pressed it into the bellcrank, and installed it on the pivot. Still, it wobbled from side to side excessively.

I had a short think, and then installed a bumper washer on the inside of the bellcrank, and reinstalled.

Shazam! Literally no lateral movement of the bellcrank.

I'm kind of feeling a bit sheepish right now. It's possible I could've fixed this from the beginning with a bumper washer.

Anyway, I have an acceptable, not completely sloppy shift right now. In order to get it better I would need to pull the steering column and press out the old bearing and replace it with the SKF recommended earlier in this thread.

That will happen in the future, but for now, I need to get the clutch working and the electrical system sorted out.

Last edited:
I received my bushing reamer and after cutting the bushing to length and drilling a hole to approximate where the old zert hole was, I pressed it into the bellcrank.

I reamed it out using a t-handle and a soft jaw vice.

Pressed it into the bellcrank, and installed it on the pivot. Still, it wobbled from side to side excessively.

I had a short think, and then installed a bumper washer on the inside of the bellcrank, and reinstalled.

Shazam! Literally no lateral movement of the bellcrank.

I'm kind of feeling a bit sheepish right now. It's possible I could've fixed this from the beginning with a bumper washer.

Anyway, I have an acceptable, not completely sloppy shift right now. In order to get it better I would need to pull the steering column and press out the old bearing and replace it with the SKF recommended earlier in this thread.

That will happen in the future, but for now, I need to get the clutch working and the electrical system sorted out.
Have any details/pics of this magic bumper washer? :D

Have any details/pics of this magic bumper washer? :D
I literally dug it out of my highly illegal airplane parts stash from my rollaround.

FAA stipulates that mechanics engaging in maintenance of FAR Part 145 aircraft must order parts through the approved process. Keeping spares and extras of anything in hidey holes is specifically prohibited. I'm retired now, so I highly doubt any FAA inspectors will hunt me down to fine me for having them in my garage. ;)

If I had to guess it was a 9/16" bumper washer. Bumper washers having wider than standard metal around the hole. The extra wide washer flange acts as another bearing surface, which is what I think is taking off the slop. Important to have just enough total bearing thickness to be snug, but not so much as to cause binding when you tighten the nut.

IMG_20230321_112816906.jpg

Don’t know if you have issues with the 33574 retainer at the end of the shift column, mine did and they’re NLA. It retains the grease in that joint. Here’s the aftermarket part from McMaster I used and seems to be functioning, so far. Just some more tech info.

Spring-Loaded Rotary Shaft Seal, for 11/16" Shaft Diameter and 0.999" Bore Diameter McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/5154T14
How's that seal holdin up? I might be doing the same thing.

Now that I'm keeping kinda sorta driving my 1969 FJ40 around, I have become fascinated with making the three on the tree as good of a shifter as possible.

I found a bushing for the actual shift lever at Cruiser Cult and ordered it, FJ40 3-speed column shifter bushing - https://cruiser-cult.myshopify.com/products/fj40-3-speed-column-shifter-bushing but I'm interested in tricks and tips others use to keep theirs running in tip top shape.

Picture for attention.

View attachment 3257157
I love the 3 on the tree shifter on my '70 FJ40 - Like yours, I need to do a little fine tuning. This was a good read to motivate me to start looking into the condition of mine.

I love the 3 on the tree shifter on my '70 FJ40 - Like yours, I need to do a little fine tuning. This was a good read to motivate me to start looking into the condition of mine.
The 3 on the tree is even more important now, as we got a second dog, and both can crowd under my elbow while I shift and there is still room for my lovely bride in the passenger seat. That's kind of hard to do with a floor shifter.

The 3 on the tree is even more important now, as we got a second dog, and both can crowd under my elbow while I shift and there is still room for my lovely bride in the passenger seat. That's kind of hard to do with a floor shifter.
It all that much better when you've got someone (or the dog!) with you on a ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom