Coil & Distributor Help Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for help from the Land Cruiser think tank.

I have a 1979 FJ40 I am restoring. When I bought it years ago the carb had been swapped out for a rochester, it had been desmogged. It had a coil only - no ignitor that I can tell. There is a chance I removed it an misplaced it last year when I took it apart, but I don't think so. I was pretty methodical about taking parts off, keeping organized and labeling them etc.

Anyway, I'm trying to get it running again. I understand the 79 had a coil w/ignitor from the factory so I bougt one from 1979. It has three plugs labelled ABC in the following pic. Coming out of the factory harness I have plugs 123 which I guess could be for something else - since they are pulled out of the harness at that spot I assumed they are for the coil. No room for anything else there. I have an FJ60 distributor I planned to run with the new rebuild - so I also have an FJ60 coil which has the same plugs.

Can anyone tell me what plugs 123 are for if not for the coil? I think
I think A might go to the dist, but my fj60 distributor does not have a plug on it so don't know that for sure. Unclear what plugs 2 and 3 go to, I have no vacant plugs near by and B&C coming off of the coil have very short leads.

IMG-3087.jpg

Look at the wiring diagram for your year (one of the few thing the Haynes manual is good at) color codes are very helpful black wire with white stripe for example.

I looked at my 5/79 40 and I also, am running a ”big cap” distributor. Looks like B to 3 works, the problem is A to 2. They are the same female side plug connector. #1 is where a interference capacitor would connect. You need the other half of the connector for A as in the second picture. Apparently the 60s were terminated backwards. Do you have a 78-79 igniter? It will work with that distributor and have the right connector.
IMG_0201.jpeg
IMG_0202.jpeg

I looked at my 5/79 40 and I also, am running a ”big cap” distributor. Looks like B to 3 works, the problem is A to 2. They are the same female side plug connector. #1 is where a interference capacitor would connect. You need the other half of the connector for A as in the second picture. Apparently the 60s were terminated backwards. Do you have a 78-79 igniter? It will work with that distributor and have the right connector.View attachment 3379148View attachment 3379149
I do have a ‘79 coil/igniter - well one that was purported to be a 79. I think it’s plugs were also different, I’ll double check. I thought I’d read the 60 dizzy required a 60 series igniter, but sounds like that’s not the case if you’re running it with 79 igniter.

This is one reason I wish I would have kept my 1979 fj55, engine bay was untouched from factory so it was nice to be able to compare my 40 to it 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom