1979 Distributor help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

acjb

GOLD Star
Threads
I have a 1979 40 that has been sitting in my garage in a thousand pieces for long enough I am embarrassed to say. I took it down to the frame and completely rebuilt the transmission, transfer case and rear end. Cleaned and painted the frame. Put in new suspension and brakes and then life interjected itself…….after kids and many years of my dad telling me I will never finish it, I have found the passion to re-engage. I think the loss of him has given me some motivation. he thought it was the coolest thing and I will not sell it. At any rate, I was pilfering through my parts and stumbled across the distributor and coil. The short of it is, it is looking rough. Lots of surface rust on the inside of the cap and down in the distributor. I did put everything in bags but I am pretty sure it was rusty in the inside of the dizzy when it was taken out. It was running then. I also had Jim C rebuild the carb and it is still in the bag he returned it to me in all those years back.

So the question is what would you do. I would love to just fork out the money for a new one, but they are unobtainium for the 1979 models that I can find. I am at a point where I have some money to spend on it, and thought maybe just do the Sniper fuel injection I still have the ignition to figure out. I am not the expert on distributors or coils by far. Any suggestions for a direction would be greatly appreciated. It will be a while until I get to the point of needing it, but it is the thing am stumped on as a get back to it. Thanks in advance. Pics attached

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0731.jpeg

I think that dizzy would clean up just fine. I need to make a new bushing for my Delco and hot tank the Rochester 2 bbl. It sat from before 2010 until this summer. I filed the points and put in new fuel and it fired right up. Back when it was daily driver I got 25 mpg - tested many times with like 100 miles on the freeway and like 100 miles idling in 2 gear road hunting.

If you are going to fuel inject it, then do some sort of HEI while you are at it IMHO.

I agree with @charliemeyer007, that should clean up fine. Maybe replace a bolt or two. I've been using citric acid and my son's little rock tumbler and I'm getting great results cleaning up old rusty parts.

Also, Corrosion X on the back end is the magic sauce.

there are lots of options here, not really a right answer. As mentioned that distributor is probably fine but if you were convinced it's not
IMO I'd either
1) buy a distributor that's compatible with Sniper ignition control from one of the vendors that offers it (maybe Redline and/or Mosley?) -or-
2) install a big-cap distributor and coil/ignitor off an FJ60 which is what I did in 2005 and I have not touched it since

FWIW about the same time I installed the big cap distributor, JimC rebuilt my carb. Also have not touched it since (except the occasional idle speed tweak every few years)

to start with, I would see the advancer plate moves, if it does, alittle cleaning and good to go. it is fully electronic.
if you don't want to mess with it, send it to @4Cruisers ? I think, he will make it look brand new

Would going to the large cap distributor and dented panel be an option on a 1979 year model?

Yes; they use the same (or very similar) coil and igniter. I converted my 12/79.

Good to know, thanks for sharing. I don't feel old enough to have such outdated information :) FJ60 parts were common and pretty cheap back in the early 2000's, they weren't really classics yet, just "old."
Part of why I liked the big cap when I did it 20 years ago was the ball bearing vs bushing, are there "regular cap" distributors that have a bearing?
FYI, FJ60 large cap distributors were common 10+ years ago but thin on the ground today and very expensive on the used market. Vacuum advance on the unit are often on its last days and is unobtainium.

FYI, FJ60 large cap distributors were common 10+ years ago but thin on the ground today and very expensive on the used market. Vacuum advance on the unit are often on its last days and is unobtainium.
But, the above mentioned 4Cruisers was able to sell me a very nice new single diaphragm advance unit for my Big Cap dizzy that dropped right in and works very well...

20220114_101306.jpg

20220114_093045.jpg

Signal generator (?) looks rough. Opinions are welcome.
Don't look no worse than mine when i started on it.
Also, there may have been a little plastic bushing on that pin. Might want to change springs too. Lots of threads on those

20220114_092546.jpg

I have a 1979 40 that has been sitting in my garage in a thousand pieces for long enough I am embarrassed to say. I took it down to the frame and completely rebuilt the transmission, transfer case and rear end. Cleaned and painted the frame. Put in new suspension and brakes and then life interjected itself…….after kids and many years of my dad telling me I will never finish it, I have found the passion to re-engage. I think the loss of him has given me some motivation. he thought it was the coolest thing and I will not sell it. At any rate, I was pilfering through my parts and stumbled across the distributor and coil. The short of it is, it is looking rough. Lots of surface rust on the inside of the cap and down in the distributor. I did put everything in bags but I am pretty sure it was rusty in the inside of the dizzy when it was taken out. It was running then. I also had Jim C rebuild the carb and it is still in the bag he returned it to me in all those years back.

So the question is what would you do. I would love to just fork out the money for a new one, but they are unobtainium for the 1979 models that I can find. I am at a point where I have some money to spend on it, and thought maybe just do the Sniper fuel injection I still have the ignition to figure out. I am not the expert on distributors or coils by far. Any suggestions for a direction would be greatly appreciated. It will be a while until I get to the point of needing it, but it is the thing am stumped on as a get back to it. Thanks in advance. Pics attached

View attachment 3494690

View attachment 3494691
to start with, I would see the advancer plate moves, if it does, alittle cleaning and good to go. it is fully electronic.
if you don't want to mess with it, send it to @4Cruisers ? I think, he will make it look brand new
✨

one important thing to consider , is making and preforming a total Ignition system wide visual and a few hands on ones , use the FSM steps to the highest details , ohm out the coil , digital multi meter out the fender mounted Igniter and cool too !!
- inside the dizzy , is a signal generator , white and
red wires attache to below , multi meter that out too via the fsm steps
-

to determine if sinking in a pile of man hours , and a mix of used old parts same era pre -owned stuff , is a better use of your recourses and time as a whole ?

- now , this above TECH does
NOT apply to @4Cruisers and his Genuine NipponDenso Japan spec. 💫 🧙‍♂️ ✨magic💫🧙‍♂️✨ he preforms inside under the Dizzy cap , also outside to the main aluminum body itself , that will absolutely be more sexier then bling :idea:
- sometimes a all new oem TOYOTA japan parts. Part # 19270-60010 :
Complete PLUG & PLAY Ignition System Kit Distributer Assy , Coil w/ Bracket , SKUNK-WORKS made Sub Harness , ALL Water Proof Connector Plugs , Updated Dizzy Clamp and NOS Special Bolt KIT ....

- Can be same , similar .or even cost less

- study what you have and put it on paper and do a side by side comparison and then you will know//

1701427232446.png

🎑

1701427982318.png

TECH VIDEO :

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom