Coastal Offroad Bumper Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is the story on those slider/steps?

The steps are from N-Fab. I had them on my 5th gen 4runner, quick bolt on with just 5 bolts though I did modify them to fit tighter to the body. They are steps only, NOT sliders. Sliders are sitting waiting to be put on...

@Burner01

I hope you don't mind a couple of questions. How do you feel about the overall quality of the bumper, and the swing-outs as provided?

The recovery rings look a little small. Are they good enough for recovery points? Do they pass through the bumper and pick up the rear frame, or are they welded to the bumper face?

How well did the kit go together?

Your truck looks awesome, by the way! I have had a full bumper kit in my cart ready to hit 'buy now' for a week now. I just need a nudge!

@Burner01

I hope you don't mind a couple of questions. How do you feel about the overall quality of the bumper, and the swing-outs as provided?

The recovery rings look a little small. Are they good enough for recovery points? Do they pass through the bumper and pick up the rear frame, or are they welded to the bumper face?

How well did the kit go together?

Your truck looks awesome, by the way! I have had a full bumper kit in my cart ready to hit 'buy now' for a week now. I just need a nudge!

Full disclosure, my truck was the guinea pig for this design. Brandon used his 4th gen 4runner bumper design as the foundation then adapted it for the GX. As this was the prototype Brandon did the actual build on this himself, I just picked it up from powder-coating and installed it. That being said, I did see his process every step of the way and at the same time saw a variety of other products in various stages of development. Brandon is very thorough and extremely meticulous with his designs, I guess thats what happens when you're an engineer!. His primary focus is on the function of the design while keeping it simple enough for a DIY. In my opinion I think he's done an amazing job.

To answer your questions:
- I am very happy with the overall quality and cleverness of the design
- The swing out works perfectly and is very robust. You may want to tweak the spacing of the tire carrier a little when you assemble it. I wanted it to sit closer to the door on mine.
- At first glance the recovery points look small however they are part of the larger vertical structure behind the bumper face and pass through the slots in the face. They are very, very strong.

and thanks for the truck compliments!

Cheers

q14uxAh.jpg

4VuOZ9e.jpg

XQmnQeQ.jpg

Last edited:
One package arrived Monday and the other two flat ones arrived Tuesday. All three packages are heavy as you can imagine. Haven’t un-packed it yet but looking forward to helping my buddy weld it up.

90C20E32-1ECD-435A-977D-01A85505A691.jpeg

I just wanted to update that I dropped all the parts off with my buddy so he could tac it together here and there and then we are going to spend a day fitting it and making the adjustments.

The pieces were wrapped very well and made the trip from Canada in great shape.
They were wrapped in four layers; plastic wrap, a thin padded wrap, cardboard, and an outer heat shrink wrap. Took a good 30 min to open up all three packages.

6BF49DC5-7B93-4093-A2E9-8908074B47C2.jpeg

435570EB-E0FA-4BB9-A3C6-4ADCC54D4B40.jpeg

6D268C73-510E-46BF-B9FE-0214293D7581.jpeg

OK, so I finally have an update! My buddy was not able to tack things together and then fit on the truck. You have to bolt up a few pieces and tack it on the vehicle. So while I flew out to Colorado with the family for a little vacation to see family I left by truck with my buddy for a week. Yesterday I went and picked her up with the bumper fully welded and most of the welds grounded down. I really owe my buddy more then I can repay him as he had to deal with an old finicky welder, ran our of wire and ultimately ordered a new welder that will be waiting for me to get all of the pieces for him to build the tire swing.

Some picks of the bumper removed and spare out before dropping it off at his house.
IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

Here are some build photos he sent me after he had it all welded up and started griding.
IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

Now that she was home it was time to hack up my stock bumper to fill in the gaps.
IMG_1634.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

And with the bumper pieces re-installed, Man I really wish they would have made the bumper lines straight along the crease in the bumper, it would have been soo much easier to cut and fit.
IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

The plan for the tire swing is to build a single arm all the way across that will hold the spare tire, a single NATO can, and a Hi-Lift jack. Here are the parts I am buying for the tire swing.

CLAMPTEK Latch
71YB1TYKSnL._SL1500_.jpg

Ruffstuff Locking T-Handle Pull Pin Latch, Spring Loaded
R2215-full.jpg

BRK-1120-4 Ballistic Fabrication | Spare Tire Mounting Plate 6 x 5.5 Inch Bolt Patterm Ballistic Fabrication
BRK-1120-4_PRIMARY.jpg

Found the jerry can holder I plan to use, it's actually by ACE Engineering not Northridge 4x4
ACE JK Jerry Can Holder
thumbnail.asp

And these are the LED reverse lights I plan to install in the two square holes.
Platinum-4 Flush
Platinum-4_flush_medium.JPG

Last edited:
So how’s the build coming along? Looks pretty good so far.

How much does that front bumper weigh?

I got rear ended the other day and I think this bumper kit is gonna be the winner. Can't justify over 2k for one right now. @Burner01 , is that a Coastal front bumper or a custom one-off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom