Builds Cnorm5623's Cummins build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No the dash lights were about the first thing I did when I got it. I dont like the green :meh:
Me either, where did you source your blues from?

I got mine from Amazon. They are T10 bulbs. Just make sure they aren't to long or they will hit the gauge board.

Out of curiosity why did you opt for the 343 vs the 442? I've sat both trans side by side and the 442 looks like an Allison compared to the 343.

I would love to put an NV4500 behind the 6BT, but really don't want the body lift. I suspect that the engine mounts play a large role in whether one is needed. In the new kit, you have to drop the power steering brace about an inch, which makes me think that the engine is sitting lower than in the old kit where this wasn't needed.

I would love to put an NV4500 behind the 6BT, but really don't want the body lift. I suspect that the engine mounts play a large role in whether one is needed. In the new kit, you have to drop the power steering brace about an inch, which makes me think that the engine is sitting lower than in the old kit where this wasn't needed.

Old vs new kit? This is the only kit that has ever existed and its for the auto. The body lift is necessary for an nv4500 to clear the transmission. Nothing to do with the engine. The nv4500 conversion is not for the average DIYer. :cheers:

What was the most difficult hurdle for the nv4500 swap? Pedal assembly?

Perhaps I am not explaining my question clearly.

I have read the predator thread and Mr cimmeron's awesome build. Unless I missed it, in both the predator build and the 6BT/NV4500 builds, you did not have to drop the steering support brace to fit the engine. In Dustins kit you do have to drop the support about an inch. This makes me beleve that the engine sits lower in the engine bay on Dustins kit than it does on your builds to date. You have stated that you need a 1 inch body lift to fit the NV4500 behind the 6BT.

What I am trying to determine, is with Dustins kit (which presumably has the engine sitting lower), is it possible to fit an NV4500 without the body lift.

Well its been running great for a while now. Put a road trip at thanks giving and a bunch of other miles on it with no problems except a dirty fuel filter and I need to change the alternator out because bearings are going out.
Most tanks around town have been about 16 mpg but with this colder weather up north I have been letting it warm up more so a bit worse for milage. On my road trip I was pulling a small trailer so didn't help with milage. Cruises nice at 65 mph with my 285/75-16's but I still want some 35's on there some day.

The other day I adjusted the fuel pin and turned up the smoke! Puts out a nice small puff when I take off. Kinda fun. I want to look at turning up the valve bodies pressure in the trans to see if that might help the trans out at all. When in 2nd and 3rd floored it seems that the rpms get up to full rpm but I am still accelerating for a but longer. I think it is just torque converter slip so hoping more pressure will help?!? Or if someone smarter than me could chime in and tell me yes or no on that would be nice.

Other than that I LOVE it!!! So much fun and you get some funny looks when the smoke rolls!

When the rpms between shifts don't equal your acceleration and the shift takes a longer time than it should it is called flaring it causes a lot of great in the transmission it can be helped by raising the pressure.

The shiftkits work wonders on these transmissions.

I am thinking I want to go with the nv4500 swap more then the auto. Does Dustin sell parts of his kit or do you have to buy the whole thing? The wiring harness, cruise and throttle linkage, and inter cooler plumbing would be a huge time saver.

I am thinking I want to go with the nv4500 swap more then the auto. Does Dustin sell parts of his kit or do you have to buy the whole thing? The wiring harness, cruise and throttle linkage, and inter cooler plumbing would be a huge time saver.
Good thing about the NV4500 is there is no trans wiring to mess with. Just a reverse light cable. Seems to me that most issues with recent diesel swaps are getting the stock transmission to work correctly but I guess you would be trading those issues with the labor of making the manual and all the clutch parts to work. I do love my NV4500 though. Also with all this waiting on Dustin to get parts I don't see the point.

And the nv4500 will last... And hold up to more than stock power. And towing and abuse in general.

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom