clearcoat failure (1 Viewer)

My 2000 LC with 121K miles is suffering clearcoat paint failure on the hood, roof, door top surfaces, and tailgate areas. The base coat on the hood has started to show surface rust in 2 places, as well as some small spots randomly around the vehicle. The local body shop that does good work and offers a lifetime warranty estimated $7500 to remove all the trim, lights, mirrors, roof rack, and everything else in the way of sanding the vehicle and applying primer, factory-matched color coat, and new clear coat. Is this a fair price? And is it really worth it considering the current resale value? All mechanical systems are in good shape and all maintenance has been done to Toyota's schedule. Iam the original owner - no accidents or prior bodywork. Opinions are welcome. Thank you all.

Camotubebender

SILVER Star
Yes that is a fair price -but might want to stop in for a few visits and make sure they remove all trim etc... - is it worth it as far as resale would depend on what you have into it now plus the paint. I would say go for it and keep it ! and post some before-during and after pics so we can check it out

suprarx7nut

The YotaMD Guy
Supporting Vendor
Yes, that sounds accurate - perhaps even a bit low. You should also be replacing all the plastic trim at the lower edge of the door windows and I'd do the windshield cowl.

Worth it? That's up to you. A one-owner 100 series will have some increasing value going forward, but that money would be 100% better spent in the S&P500 or an index fund. For a full repaint to be the "right" choice, you've got to want to hang onto that for some time and appreciate fresh paint.

I’m in the midst of repainting a Mustang SVO. It’s a LOT of work to do a good job. The materials alone are going to approach $1500 or more.

If you plan on keeping it, then go for it. If you’re going to sell it, check out Maaco.

suprarx7nut

The YotaMD Guy
Supporting Vendor
I’m in the midst of repainting a Mustang SVO. It’s a LOT of work to do a good job. The materials alone are going to approach $1500 or more.

If you plan on keeping it, then go for it. If you’re going to sell it, check out Maaco.
Yup, agreed. Doing a 91 Supra myself. I knew it was a lot of work and I grossly underestimated how much it really is. There's probably 4 figures worth of labor just in organizing all the parts that come off so that you're sure they all go back properly when the job is done.

Huge props to the "good" body shops. Tough work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom