clearcoat failure (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2000 LC with 121K miles is suffering clearcoat paint failure on the hood, roof, door top surfaces, and tailgate areas. The base coat on the hood has started to show surface rust in 2 places, as well as some small spots randomly around the vehicle. The local body shop that does good work and offers a lifetime warranty estimated $7500 to remove all the trim, lights, mirrors, roof rack, and everything else in the way of sanding the vehicle and applying primer, factory-matched color coat, and new clear coat. Is this a fair price? And is it really worth it considering the current resale value? All mechanical systems are in good shape and all maintenance has been done to Toyota's schedule. Iam the original owner - no accidents or prior bodywork. Opinions are welcome. Thank you all.

Yes that is a fair price -but might want to stop in for a few visits and make sure they remove all trim etc... - is it worth it as far as resale would depend on what you have into it now plus the paint. I would say go for it and keep it ! and post some before-during and after pics so we can check it out

Yes, that sounds accurate - perhaps even a bit low. You should also be replacing all the plastic trim at the lower edge of the door windows and I'd do the windshield cowl.

Worth it? That's up to you. A one-owner 100 series will have some increasing value going forward, but that money would be 100% better spent in the S&P500 or an index fund. For a full repaint to be the "right" choice, you've got to want to hang onto that for some time and appreciate fresh paint.

I’m in the midst of repainting a Mustang SVO. It’s a LOT of work to do a good job. The materials alone are going to approach $1500 or more.

If you plan on keeping it, then go for it. If you’re going to sell it, check out Maaco.

I’m in the midst of repainting a Mustang SVO. It’s a LOT of work to do a good job. The materials alone are going to approach $1500 or more.

If you plan on keeping it, then go for it. If you’re going to sell it, check out Maaco.
Yup, agreed. Doing a 91 Supra myself. I knew it was a lot of work and I grossly underestimated how much it really is. There's probably 4 figures worth of labor just in organizing all the parts that come off so that you're sure they all go back properly when the job is done.

Huge props to the "good" body shops. Tough work.

As second owner shame on me for not detecting a repaint passenger door and rear quarter panel. One year after purchase crap clear coat is coming off door. Went to dealer body shop, north of $5k just to fix. Total repaint north of $10k. Now faced with a self first time clear coat redo. Sounds like a formula for disaster.

I did just my hood recently and I can tell you its a lot of tedious work and I haven't even cut and buffed it yet in the pics.

I can't imagine doing the entire vehicle. $6,000.00 to $7500.00 for a pro job sounds very reasonable to me.

Plus metal flake paints are not easy to mix, match and shoot.

Hood Paint3.jpg

Hood Paint2.jpg

Hood Paint1.jpg

$7500 sounds very fair. Around the Boston area, it would cost $12k-$15k easy for a full respray. I was surprised to learn that Toyota used single stage on my '03 Black, but it's held up really well and no cc failure :D

If you decide to have it painted, document the job as if it were a restoration... instead of a repair. Repaints can scare or entice buyers. Reading that a car has been repainted begs lots of questions about - damage? abuse? quality of the work? But... reading about a meticulous and documented restoration is a whole different deal. Seeing pics of the work in stages, seeing the prep, reading the list of materials... that gives the buyer (not that you're ever going to sell ;) ) a much different feeling.

Where I live labor cost is 1/10th of USA, I have spent $3000 for the paint job. Material Cost is about $700. (top of the range paint(2 coats) and a 2 layers of top coat) Took 2 weeks for 2 guys and they had a proper paint booth..

My 2000 LC with 121K miles is suffering clearcoat paint failure on the hood, roof, door top surfaces, and tailgate areas. The base coat on the hood has started to show surface rust in 2 places, as well as some small spots randomly around the vehicle. The local body shop that does good work and offers a lifetime warranty estimated $7500 to remove all the trim, lights, mirrors, roof rack, and everything else in the way of sanding the vehicle and applying primer, factory-matched color coat, and new clear coat. Is this a fair price? And is it really worth it considering the current resale value? All mechanical systems are in good shape and all maintenance has been done to Toyota's schedule. Iam the original owner - no accidents or prior bodywork. Opinions are welcome. Thank you all.
UPDATE - My LC has been in the body shop for quite a while. Job has become a restoration. When the hood was sanded - it swiss cheesed with tiny holes. New hood from the local Toyota dealer $780. When the running boards came off - rust was revealed on both side rocker panels. Made the choice to have everything affected cut out and replaced with original equipment metal. Seems to be running closer to 12K - 14K well up from the original quote - but it's a great deal of extra work so I am going to just bite the bullet and go for restoration. I have become attached to my Jade green family vehicle over the years. Lots of good memories - and until I put her in the shop - our daily driver.

UPDATE - My LC has been in the body shop for quite a while. Job has become a restoration. When the hood was sanded - it swiss cheesed with tiny holes. New hood from the local Toyota dealer $780. When the running boards came off - rust was revealed on both side rocker panels. Made the choice to have everything affected cut out and replaced with original equipment metal. Seems to be running closer to 12K - 14K well up from the original quote - but it's a great deal of extra work so I am going to just bite the bullet and go for restoration. I have become attached to my Jade green family vehicle over the years. Lots of good memories - and until I put her in the shop - our daily driver.
How much are they charging you just for the side rocker panels do you know? I'm in that same boat.

How much are they charging you just for the side rocker panels do you know? I'm in that same boat.
They agreed to time and materials - and then told me to go find a set of rockers as they don't have the time to hunt them down. This was due to the shop manager who was interested in my LC has left and new employee seems a bit burried trying to figure out the new job and multiple projects. Mine is on hold until I find parts apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom