Shock Failure? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

awesomeissquid

SILVER Star
Threads
Was checking the undercarriage after a good wheeling trip and noticed the drivers side shock was coated with oil. I’m assuming the seal has failed and it needs to be replaced. This was swapped out with a new OEM unit about 3 years / ~15k miles ago.

Before I swap it with another OEM, any reason to think my setup is just going to blow through it? My front end might be a bit heavy since I have a full steel bumper, 12k winch, 27F battery, and air compressor up there.

IMG_8276.jpeg

IMG_8275.jpeg

IMO it's not just the weight of the rig but the weight of the rim/tire your shock has to control. Heavier will wear parts out faster.

That makes sense. I do have some meaty tires on OEM wheels so I am sure it’s heavier as well.

Don’t disagree with you at all and it’s probably how I will proceed for now. Just thinking if I can use this as a good excuse to try out one of the more expensive options like the Dobinsons.

Just to update for anyone that is interested. Local dealer is coming in at $100 with tax. Online dealers seem to be in the $75 range. This is still better than $300-$600 a corner for aftermarket options.

Is that a AHC "shock" or conventional shock absorber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom