What are early signs of starter failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, there are times when I crank my 100 and.... I release the ignition too soon, it happens. I then re-crank and it turns over and she sounds like a jalopy. It kind of does that like clunk engine sound and then cranks over. Honestly I don't think much of it, but today, today was different. I released too soon and my 100 did not crank over, okay... I attempt to crank again but it kept "dying" like idling out. After 2-3 times- I held the ignition (f*** it) and she cranked, no problem. Bitch acted like nothing happened haha.

Needless to say it got me wondering. As we all know the starter is not in the most ideal location. Just wanted I8mud's input so i can mentally and financially prepare for it

TIA

So, there are times when I crank my 100 and.... I release the ignition too soon, it happens. I then re-crank and it turns over and she sounds like a jalopy. It kind of does that like clunk engine sound and then cranks over. Honestly I don't think much of it, but today, today was different. I released too soon and my 100 did not crank over, okay... I attempt to crank again but it kept "dying" like idling out. After 2-3 times- I held the ignition (f*** it) and she cranked, no problem. Bitch acted like nothing happened haha.

Needless to say it got me wondering. As we all know the starter is not in the most ideal location. Just wanted I8mud's input so i can mentally and financially prepare for it

TIA
So did the engine turn over and start and then it just ran rough and died? OR was the only way to keep it running by holding the key over?

Either way, it sounds like the starter is doing it's job but something else is not....need more details.

My starter would hesitate before actually turning the engine over. There would be the typical spinning sound, then a silence, then finally cranked up. The delay became more frequent and longer over the few weeks before I replaced the unit.

Have you addressed any ignition parts yet?

So did the engine turn over and start and then it just ran rough and died? OR was the only way to keep it running by holding the key over?

Either way, it sounds like the starter is doing it's job but something else is not....need more details.
So did the engine turn over and start and then it just ran rough and died? Yes

It idles at like 500rpm for like 2 sec then just shuts off

I mean does that happen when you per-maturely cut off the engine mid-crank? I'm just thinking it has to do with fuel

So did the engine turn over and start and then it just ran rough and died? Yes

It idles at like 500rpm for like 2 sec then just shuts off

I mean does that happen when you per-maturely cut off the engine mid-crank? I'm just thinking it has to do with fuel
I would switch focus to something other than the starter for now, unless you see symptoms like Mongoose noted and hear obvious starter noises.

Maybe start simple like battery connections tight, maf sensor clean, air filter doesn't have mouse nest,etc.

>> Once it does run, it runs smooth without issue? That might eliminate a lot of potential suspects. Fuel filter wouldn't be a bad idea to change but don't start throwing parts at it yet.

My starter would hesitate before actually turning the engine over. There would be the typical spinning sound, then a silence, then finally cranked up. The delay became more frequent and longer over the few weeks before I replaced the unit.

Have you addressed any ignition parts yet?
She cranks stong, no hesitation

Honestly, after the replies- This answers my question. Its not the starter, I believe its the battery

I would switch focus to something other than the starter for now, unless you see symptoms like Mongoose noted and hear obvious starter noises.

Maybe start simple like battery connections tight, maf sensor clean, air filter doesn't have mouse nest,etc.

>> Once it does run, it runs smooth without issue? That might eliminate a lot of potential suspects. Fuel filter wouldn't be a bad idea to change but don't start throwing parts at it yet.
You are right

It must be the battery. It's a "econo" battery, and it's been great- though i had my suspicions about it.

I'm thinking during mid-crank when i accidentally cut it off, The peak voltage spike during crank and battery intermittently fails- hence the idling out and "dying"

She cranks stong, no hesitation

Honestly, after the replies- This answers my question. Its not the starter, I believe its the battery
I'd agree the starter is fine based on the info you shared but I wouldn't blame the battery just yet.....Either way it sounds like you're back on track. Check connections / battery voltage / etc. and keep moving down the troubleshooting funnel.

I don't think the voltage spikes during the ignition cycle but I could be wrong. I'm also not convinced a weak battery will cause it to sputter / rough idle as it comes alive, I would suspect the symptoms to be more of a slow / weak turn over or clicking of the starter......but this is a still just a guessing game for now.

Maybe get yourself a cheap volt meter from Harbor Freight to help diagnose . Maybe lookup info on how to remove and clean MAF sensor, it's an easy job with no real skill required.

Oh and to add,

Yes she runs perfectly smooth. Like nothing happened, I trust my 100 with my life.

I'd agree the starter is fine based on the info you shared but I wouldn't blame the battery just yet.....Either way it sounds like you're back on track. Check connections / battery voltage / etc. and keep moving down the troubleshooting funnel. I don't think the voltage spikes during the ignition cycle but I could be wrong. I'm also not convinced a weak battery will cause it to sputter / rough idle as it comes alive, I would suspect the symptoms to be more of a slow / weak turn over or clicking of the starter......but this is a still just a guessing game for now.

Maybe get yourself a cheap volt meter from Harbor Freight to help diagnose .
Voltage spike as in cranking volts. I replaced my alternator (not by choice lol) so cranking volts should be a healthy 15-16v during crank. That high voltage spike leads me to suspect my battery cannot take the cycle, from crank to sudden cut-off.

I have a voltmeter, just need this SoCal rain to chill haha

I'll start by getting a battery, i'll update
I'd actually start by cleaning those battery terminals first and retighten your terminal. You'd be surprised how good the battery acts with some good care of the terminals.

To be extra nice to them apply battery terminal protector or just dielectric grease on them. To keep them from being oxidized.

Also replace older than 5-7 year battery.

TIA
I have the same problem. Car starts and idles rough, put it in gear and dies. It will get going after several tries and will run fine. Doesn’t do it every time but still does it. Replaced the battery due to age but it still does it. Going to try new fuel filter. 2000 Lx with 215k and original fuel filter.

I have the same problem. Car starts and idles rough, put it in gear and dies. It will get going after several tries and will run fine. Doesn’t do it every time but still does it. Replaced the battery due to age but it still does it. Going to try new fuel filter. 2000 Lx with 215k and original fuel filter.
Yeah this smells like a different problem altogether... Replace the fuel filter, Clean the MAF, Tps to begin with.

Fuel filter or fuel pump.

Wait... Does it happen when you release the ignition to soon from starting?

Wait... Does it happen when you release the ignition to soon from starting?
I have done that a few times, released the key before the engine has fully caught, and it always starts a little rough on the second go. I assume it's from leaving behind unburned fuel as it winds down on the first go. I have never worried about it since it's an edge case that doesn't indicate a mechanical failure.

I have done that a few times, released the key before the engine has fully caught, and it always starts a little rough on the second go. I assume it's from leaving behind unburned fuel as it winds down on the first go. I have never worried about it since it's an edge case that doesn't indicate a mechanical failure.
Yes! that's exactly what going on

just this time it was being a stubborn girl, it's run rough for a second and idle out like 3 times. Ignition is fine and starter kicks, it's just weird

I am not entirely worried about it. I just never experienced it before in other cars. I mean Is it just a LC thing idk

So that leads to my next question, should I continue to ignore it or what do you all think?

So far i had some great food 4 thought on some replies TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom