This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guy I have an 84 fj60 and I'm looking to put a chevy 350 tbi in it this winter. If any of you guys have done this before and could create a parts list for me that would be great. I want to keep the price as low as possible. I don't know what I want for a transmission yet but I would like to stay manual (but if its easier/cheaper to go automatic I would be willing to). The biggest things that I'm looking for in this build is to be able to take my lc on the highway comfortably and on long trips. I have never done an engine swap before so any help will be greatly appreciated. I will keep you guys updated as I go but like I said I don't plan on starting until late December because my garage is still being built and my class schedule right now is pretty busy but I will start gathering parts soon.

Start looking in the build threads also start gathering parts that you know you will need now and there isn't really a cheap way of doing the swap.

Lots and lots and LOTS of build threads out there on MUD and the interwebz if you use the search function.
I guess I didn't really set up the point of this thread very well sorry. I have been doing a lot of reading and I wanted to make another build thread on my experience of doing this. There is lots of material out there with lots of different way of doing things, my hope was to be able to take all the information out there and get some help to condense what worked well and what didn't (and what was cheapest).

I guess I didn't really set up the point of this thread very well sorry. I have been doing a lot of reading and I wanted to make another build thread on my experience of doing this. There is lots of material out there with lots of different way of doing things, my hope was to be able to take all the information out there and get some help to condense what worked well and what didn't (and what was cheapest).

Yeah I tried something similar with the V8 Swap Theorycraft thread but in the end there are really quite a few ways of doing it all coming out with the same end result. There really is no "cheap" way to do it simply because that means cutting corners which causes compromises, at least in my findings. Best best is to do what your budget can handle and go from there.

Your "cheapest" initial route would be to get everything from a junkyard or salvage yard. However that entails a lot of extra work searching and pulling possibly bad parts. This is why I say it is INITIALLY the cheapest. If you are set on doing the SBC swap the get a known good running engine from a vehicle that you have seen run, meaning buy and entire vehicle and pull everything from it.

Also, from what I have found you are going to be a lot better off going with the above method ESPECIALLY if you want the NV4500. There were few trucks that came with them that had the SBC so finding a whole package is better. More vehicles came with the SBC and 4L60 combo so you will be able to piece that together much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom