Chasing A Cabin Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm experiencing a leak on the driver's side floor. I assumed that it was due to a clogged sunroof drain and threaded a line down the drain. After the last rainstorm, the driver's side carpet was wet again. Where does the water enter the cabin? Somewhere along the floorboard? Somewhere by the side kick plate? I've seen videos and threads showing where the water should drain out of underneath the vehicle, but not where it can enter into the cabin. Anyone have any ideas, or pictures, on where to check next?

Did you clear the tiny rocker drains, or just a line down the hoses? Hoses can be clear, but rockers not draining, backing up & overwhelming the sunroof tray. This was part of my driver-side issue.

Windshield is common, too. Personally, I would see a bit of water at the bottom corners along the gasket, before I fixed it. This affected both sides for me, but was the sole reason for my passenger side wet floor.

On one side, I could see the drip on the outside of the kick panel trim - while it was hidden behind the panel on the other side. The trim is very easy to remove, so consider doing so to have a look & definitely clear the rocker panel drains. I used a small zip-tie and skinny paper clip... dirty water came rushing out. Along with resealing the windshield in my case, I have been dry ever since, living in a very rainy climate.

Haven't experienced this with my 80, but on a different vehicle, my driver floor was getting soaked because the firewall grommet had dislodged itself & was in bad shape. Some of the water that went through the hood cowl/drain would hit the cables/wires and run along through the firewall, because there was no seal. Replaced the seal, and no more wet floor. Just an extra thought.

Let us know how it goes, and feel free to request pictures or further info

Last edited:
I'm experiencing a leak on the driver's side floor. I assumed that it was due to a clogged sunroof drain and threaded a line down the drain. After the last rainstorm, the driver's side carpet was wet again. Where does the water enter the cabin? Somewhere along the floorboard? Somewhere by the side kick plate? I've seen videos and threads showing where the water should drain out of underneath the vehicle, but not where it can enter into the cabin. Anyone have any ideas, or pictures, on where to check next?
You can try cleaning the drains with weed whacker style cord. Don't use anything that's compressible (like a hose of some kind) because it can get stuck in the channel and make things worse. (I know this from experience)

I snaked wire through the drainage hole again again and pulled the side panel trim. I then poured some water down the sun roof drain. There is dripping water on the A-pillar by the grab handle and there is water leaking from the side of the dash and down into the floor board. I think the drainage hose is compromised. I think I might need to drop the headliner and pull the dash and replace the drainage hose. Thoughts?

Leak1.jpeg

Leak2.jpeg

I carefully dropped the headliner to see if there is anything that I can do. The first pic shows that the drainage tube is still securely attached to the sun roof. The second picture shows where that drainage tube goes into the A-pillar. And that's it. I cannot visualize the rest of the tube because it is encased in the A-pillar. It seems like I'll either have to either remove the tube and replace it with a new one or do a sun roof delete. Hope you all have some better ideas than me!

Leak3.jpeg

Leak4.jpeg

I'm assuming that this black hose is the sun roof drainage pipe. Is it supposed to connect to anything or does it just drain into that rocker panel?

Leak5.jpeg

Your drain tube looks compressed by the wire bundle sitting on top of it. I had to play games with mine to keep it open. I trimmed some of the plastic on the back side of the kick panel to keep pressure off the tube. I also expanded the gasket around the sunroof glass and added shims to level the glass with the roof line to minimize water ingress to the pan. The pan is not designed to hold too much water. If a significant amount of water is making it past the glass gasket, the pan can't contain it. I've been dry ever since.

Your drain tube looks compressed by the wire bundle sitting on top of it. I had to play games with mine to keep it open. I trimmed some of the plastic on the back side of the kick panel to keep pressure off the tube. I also expanded the gasket around the sunroof glass and added shims to level the glass with the roof line to minimize water ingress to the pan. The pan is not designed to hold too much water. If a significant amount of water is making it past the glass gasket, the pan can't contain it. I've been dry ever since.
Yes thanks. I was thinking the same thing and after reexamining the tube at the pan, I was able to push it in another 1/2 inch and then clamped it. Then I decompressed the tube at the top of the A-pillar. Hope that helps!

Yes thanks. I was thinking the same thing and after reexamining the tube at the pan, I was able to push it in another 1/2 inch and then clamped it. Then I decompressed the tube at the top of the A-pillar. Hope that helps!
Limiting the amount of water entering the pan is key.

I’ve been fighting this leak for awhile. I don’t know if it is the windshield or the sunroof. I don’t use the sunroof so I’m testing covering it up
IMG_4770.jpeg
. I have some leftover magnetic vinyl sheet. We will see what happens when it rains again.

You could do the string, or you could do the inner tube.... I pulled my sunroof and cleaned everything, poked down the drains, and added some inner tube under the seal. Definitely has a much tighter fit now:

Already mentioned above (JonHeld) so just repeating: the sunroof drain pan is not very deep and if too much water gets by the sunroof seal it can overwhelm the drains in the pan. This is made worse if the vehicle is parked tilted to one side or the other or nose up, nose down IME.

Try pushing up on your sunroof glass from inside the vehicle, if there's significant movement upward one thing you can try is to add shims under the glass mounting studs (Toyota sells those shims or use your own) to push the glass up. That may help form a tighter fit between the seal and the roof.

Two type of shims:

FZJ80 sunroof glass shims.png

FZJ80 sliding roof panel shim part numbers.JPG

Try some searches for: Leaking sunroof sun roof leaks

Last edited:
Already mentioned above (JonHeld) so just repeating: the sunroof drain pan is not very deep and if too much water gets by the sunroof seal it can overwhelm the drains in the pan. This is made worse if the vehicle is parked tilted to one side or the other or nose up, nose down IME.

Try pushing up on your sunroof glass from inside the vehicle, if there's significant movement upward one thing you can try is to add shims under the glass mounting studs (Toyota sells those shims or use your own) to push the glass up. That may help form a tighter fit between the seal and the roof.

Two type of shims:

View attachment 3490028

View attachment 3490029

Try some searches for: Leaking sunroof sun roof leaks

I had my sunroof off a couple of years ago and noticed that I had extra shims on the passenger side but not on the drivers side. I felt this was odd and removed them to make it even, now that I think about it the factory did that for a reason. Could you note if yours was like this, and how even the glass should be with the roof?

I had my sunroof off a couple of years ago and noticed that I had extra shims on the passenger side but not on the drivers side. I felt this was odd and removed them to make it even, now that I think about it the factory did that for a reason. Could you note if yours was like this, and how even the glass should be with the roof?
I'm surprised you messed with it in the first place.

But: Is it leaking now? If not, I say leave it be.

I'm surprised you messed with it in the first place.

But: Is it leaking now? If not, I say leave it be.

I got an interior water leak for the first time a few weeks ago. I messed with it previously when I took the cracking sunroof garnish/trim off. Drains appear clear, no water inside the sunroof pan but water got to the top of the A/B pillars. Windshield was done 4-5 ish years ago, couldn't recall if I had the guy use an OEM gasket so I just picked a new gasket up and going to find an installer who can do it properly per the FSM.

I've noticed increased wind noise, and water for the first time. Light rain since that time, and no leaks. Wondering if the gasket is just old/brittle and overwhelmed and the drains aren't sufficient.

If the sun roof glass assembly has dropped/sagged one possible fix is to raise the glass. Also, if the glass has been removed and reinstalled you need to check using a water hose what the best position is (fore-aft) as that can make a difference in how much water gets by the seal, IME.

Been a bunch of previous theads on sun roof leaks discussing various fixes, try searching/reading using different combinations of these terms and you'll find them:

sunroof sun roof leak leaks gasket seal cover warped bicycle tube

Some information (still read previous threads):

Land Cruiser FJ80 Sunroof Leak AKA the "Houdini Leak" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1wF0AvadfY

Previous discussion with more links:

Last edited:
I got an interior water leak for the first time a few weeks ago. I messed with it previously when I took the cracking sunroof garnish/trim off. Drains appear clear, no water inside the sunroof pan but water got to the top of the A/B pillars. Windshield was done 4-5 ish years ago, couldn't recall if I had the guy use an OEM gasket so I just picked a new gasket up and going to find an installer who can do it properly per the FSM.

I've noticed increased wind noise, and water for the first time. Light rain since that time, and no leaks. Wondering if the gasket is just old/brittle and overwhelmed and the drains aren't sufficient.
That's exactly the problem. Every 80 suffers from the same root cause. The seals worked when they were new, but they don't age in a way that allows for adjustment. You can reroute the drains through the floors, just like Toyota did in the rear, but you're eventually going to lose the battle. I did this with mine several years ago, and it works, unless I go through a car wash. It's odd that I can't replicate the leak in the driveway, even with my pressure washer, or a heavy rain, but the roof leaks like it's open in a car wash. I just don't go through car washes anymore.

I also have a new sunroof panel to install, which I expect to outlast me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom